BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 530xi . The molding around my front and back windshield is cracking. It doesn't seem right for this to be happening the car is only 10 years old. Bmw will not do anything to help here in NC. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Welcome to the group! The e60 is a enviremental wonder, it will start recycling while you drive it. Not really.... But the Germans, with their green laws, have made it hard on the auto industry there.

I have replaced the rear window trim piece twice, June of 08 and August of 14, first was under new car warrenty. The window will not leak, trim is for looks. The trim piece across the top of the windshield is another piece for esthetics. The windshield will not leak as the trim degrades. The difference is, the windshield trim can only be swapped out when the windshield is changed out. Or at least that is what a reputable auto glass shop told me when I approached them with the replacement trim in hand. Told me I wouldn't be happy with the job if they were to try and just change it out.

Now the cowl piece a the bottom of the windshield will also degrade to the point it must be changes out, August of 14. That's about a 1.5 hr project, with the wiper arms removal and reinstalation taking about an hour of the 1.5 time block.

Just change out the rear trim piece and move on, about 45 minute job and $45 for the trim piece as memory has it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a 2006 530xi . The molding around my front and back windshield is cracking. It doesn't seem right for this to be happening the car is only 10 years old. Bmw will not do anything to help here in NC. :thumbdwn:
These parts last longer or less depending on the environment and how often the car is exposed to the environment (garaged vs not garaged) etc. 10 years is the average for some of this trim to start degrading. The good news is these parts are not terrible expensive:

Front Upper Moulding:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/530xi?year=2006&e=2053&m=20&keywords=51317166841

Rear Upper Moulding
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/530xi?year=2006&e=2053&m=20&keywords=51317027916

Rear Lower Moulding
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/530xi?year=2006&e=2053&m=20&keywords=51317115412

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome to the group! The e60 is a enviremental wonder, it will start recycling while you drive it. Not really.... But the Germans, with their green laws, have made it hard on the auto industry there.

I have replaced the rear window trim piece twice, June of 08 and August of 14, first was under new car warrenty. The window will not leak, trim is for looks. The trim piece across the top of the windshield is another piece for esthetics. The windshield will not leak as the trim degrades. The difference is, the windshield trim can only be swapped out when the windshield is changed out. Or at least that is what a reputable auto glass shop told me when I approached them with the replacement trim in hand. Told me I wouldn't be happy with the job if they were to try and just change it out.

Now the cowl piece a the bottom of the windshield will also degrade to the point it must be changes out, August of 14. That's about a 1.5 hr project, with the wiper arms removal and reinstalation taking about an hour of the 1.5 time block.

Just change out the rear trim piece and move on, about 45 minute job and $45 for the trim piece as memory has it.

Good luck.
Windshield trim can be changed out without windshield removal. Just as easy as changing the rear trim...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yeah, I'll echo what everyone else has said. I replaced my rubber gaskets front and rear about a year ago. I treat them with 303 aerospace protectant from time to time to hopefully them fresh longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts