BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have E60 2010 535xi with 90k miles. Very diligent on all maintenances (transmission oil was changed recently as well).

The issue happens sporadically, when I start the car I feel a bang coming from the rear. Sometimes it's mild but sometimes it comes with such a force that the whole car shakes.

I've had this issue for the last couple of years but the loudness and the force get gradually worse.

Dealeship doesn't have a clue since there is no code and they say they don't feel it nor ever heard of it (it happens mostly when the car wasn't runninng for several hours).

Everytime I start the car I dread it will break something... :( It can't be good for the car. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mine has done that since it was new nearly 10 years and 132K miles ago. It doesn't seem to have caused any issues so far.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I have no experience with this myself but could it have anything to do with the pressure levels in the transmission?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
BMW CCA 69606
2,288 Posts
That really sucks, the SIB describes the problem I have but I can't base on it since it's for models below 2008 :( Oh well, i guess i will have to live with that.
That's because BMW's fix was a software change and all cars past a certain date got the phoney software fix. As many of us know by now, the software didn't fix the problem.

I've found I can reduce the problem by the following. Try to avoid parking with front of car facing downhill.
When I pull into a parking space...
  • With foot on brake and car in gear, apply parking brake.
  • Release brake pedal, car moves slightly until parking brake stops movement
  • Put car in park.
  • Shut off ignition.

This helps ensure that the parking brake is holding the car and not the parking pawl in the trans.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's because BMW's fix was a software change and all cars past a certain date got the phoney software fix. As many of us know by now, the software didn't fix the problem.

I've found I can reduce the problem by the following. Try to avoid parking with front of car facing downhill.
When I pull into a parking space...
  • With foot on brake and car in gear, apply parking brake.
  • Release brake pedal, car moves slightly until parking brake stops movement
  • Put car in park.
  • Shut off ignition.

This helps ensure that the parking brake is holding the car and not the parking pawl in the trans.
Thanks! Although it still happens when I park in my garage with the concrete floor that is perfectly leveled, I will take your advise on the parking break and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 08 535xi and it does the same thing carried it to get checked out and doesn't do it been happening for couple years on flat or incline sometimes shakes the car other u barely hear it if anyone has an idea would also like to know thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts