BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to NYC today and I haven't been there for a couple of years. Anyway, I can't believe how many new 5's & 7's I saw there. TONS of them. I've been reading so much about how Bangle's desings aren't popluar, well it doesn't seem that way in the city, I was very surprised. I even saw a few 6's as well. I only saw 1 E46 M3, and I have to say that I don't think I would drive one there. The potholes are enough to bend rims and the dips are enough to scratch up bumpers (I left the 330i home and took the Subaru Outback). Honestly, I was wondering how most of the BMW's were dealing with it because most of the cars I saw had 17's & 18's. I also saw Porsche's, Aston Martins, and a Ferrari. I really need to get a job in the city. I spent more time enjoying watching all the nice cars driving around then I did with the rest of the trip. My wife was like :rolleyes: , I was like, look at all the pretty cars.... :yikes: :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
It seems like the Bangle haters consist largely of select journalists and long-time Bimmer drivers. Those new to the BMW scene by and large love what Bangle's done (or at least aren't repulsed). I think in two more years when the full lineup is on the highways, we'll see palates come full circle from where they were when the cars were first released. It was a move that BMW had to make to keep maintaining a progressive image, and they did an admirable job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
its usually the disgruntled that are the loudest... people who dont like the new design are the ones who complain all the time. People who like the new design are too busy using the car and liking it and have no time to come on boards and chat... So, looking at the meida, we mostly hear the complaints and we get the impression that the majority think the new design is bad... in actuality, i think BMW pissed off as many people as they attracted... I personally like the idea of the new design, but i also believe it could have been executed better... there are some parts of the new cars that just look strange...

my 0.02

J

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check out the mbworld.org forums. Spy pics of the new S-class reveal, of all things, a Bangle butt! And the interior is almost like a 7-series ripoff (complete with an i-drive lookalike). Perhaps Bangle does know a thing or too, huh? :thumbup:

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
I have been to NYC countless times, and you're right there are a lot of $$$ cars.

BUT.....

If not for deals on electronics...I'd never go there.

You couldn't pay me enough to work in that $hit hole.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
Hmmmm...

Why that would be... maybe because the only new BMW you can buy is one designed by the Bangle.

·
BMW + twisty road = fun
5,886 Posts
You haven’t clue as to why some of us “enthusiasts" or long time BMW owners buy a BMW.

Sure we want the car to look good, but the number one reason why many people buy a BMW is because of the world class engine, driving dynamics, and engineering.

I guess this would be hard for some of the badge buyers on this forum to understand.

·
Registered
187 Posts
"...we want the car to look good, but the number one reason why many people buy a BMW is because of the world class engine, driving dynamics, and engineering. "

Well the above is certainly what keeps me buying BMWs.
But you learn about those things after you buy one to a large degree.
I bought my first one [an E36 318SE with tastefull M type styling mods] primarily because it looked bloody gorgeous ;)
It'd be a shame if some folks didn't get to know how wonderful Bimmers are because they aren't attracted in the first place.
Maybe some of the long time BM drivers will continue to buy BMW in spite of the looks. :dunno:
I think I may, one day, fall into that category...unless the Bangle look begins to grow on me. With time it may do...but I'm a little concerned because I haven't eally taken to the new 5 yet, and it's been with us for while now.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It has nothing to do with Bangle, it has everything to do with status, and BMW means "UPPER" class, the roundel still carries alot of weight.

·
O.G.
8,376 Posts
alpinewhite325i said:
I have been to NYC countless times, and you're right there are a lot of $$$ cars.

BUT.....

If not for deals on electronics...I'd never go there.

You couldn't pay me enough to work in that $hit hole.
says someone who lives in Pittsburgh...... TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Happy Trails!
2,893 Posts
As a former NY'er there are lots of status buyers in NYC metro. I honestly don't think the Bangle effect enters into it. A lot of folks there buy because of the Roundel on the hood. It's why you see a lot of 5, 7 and M models. My 0.02.

Now if you are in the market for used 7ers, MB's etc, you -can- find good deals there since a lot come off lease there. You may travel to some interesting neighborhoods to view them but most of the sellers are legitimate. Buyer beware, especially in metro NY :rofl:

But yeah, the roads there are tough on cars - you have to check the cars out carefully before you buy them!

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
thelookingglass said:
... I think in two more years when the full lineup is on the highways, we'll see palates come full circle from where they were when the cars were first released. It was a move that BMW had to make to keep maintaining a progressive image, and they did an admirable job.
:bustingup

In three years they will still not be as attractive as the models they replaced.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The status thing has kind of disappeared over here. BMW [and increasingly Mercedes] have become largely "democratised"...to use a silly but nevertheless appropriate word.
Relatively speaking, BMWs are a lot more affordable than they used to be.
[And even "main dealer" servicing costs are reasonable for older cars these days]
It was the build and engineering quality that cemented my bond with them.
Getting back to the looks of the new models. I guess a lot of it it simply sour grapes and envy from those who no longer own the "new" shape car.
I was an E36 owner when the 46 came out and I wanted one the moment I saw it !
Sadly, I'm not getting that feeling this time around. Though I'm hopeful that the Coupe will be a different kettle of fish...and maybe look a little like a baby 6 series, which I do like :)

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
Spiderm0n said:
says someone who lives in Pittsburgh...... TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
says someone who lives in Jersey....EVEN FUNNIER!!!!!!!!
:stickpoke

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Passenger said:
The status thing has kind of disappeared over here. BMW [and increasingly Mercedes] have become largely "democratised"...to use a silly but nevertheless appropriate word.
[And even "main dealer" servicing costs are reasonable for older cars these days]
Getting back to the looks of the new models. I guess a lot of it it simply sour grapes and envy from those who no longer own the "new" shape car.
Sadly, I'm not getting that feeling this time around. Though I'm hopeful that the Coupe will be a different kettle of fish...and maybe look a little like a baby 6 series, which I do like :)
That's the case in the US as well. BMW and MB, long status symbols, are now all over the place. Most of them are lower end models, like the 3er, but there are also tons of the more expensive models running around in larger cities. In more rural areas, I would assume, any BMW or MB is more rare, though.

In any case, I think it's funny that I initially bought my car because I wanted a "status symbol" type car. I also wanted a sporty kind of car, but that was secondary. After spending a bit of time in the car and a lot of time on this forum, my priorities have now completely reversed. I'd rather have a Miata, which I formerly derided as a girl's car, or an S2K than pretty much any BMW, and especially an E60 or E65. So BMW got me with its status symbol image, hooked me on its trademark "ultimate driving machine" feel, and then evolved itself to the point where I'm probably not going to consider any of the future US-bound models for some time now. Funny how life works...

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
7's are almost always company lease vehicles, they drive nice and have a high level of comfort they get leased.

Doesnt mean the masses just love the new exterior designs.

·
2016 Alpine White M2
378 Posts
Passenger said:
I don't think it is envy at all.You either like the new designs or you don't.I have owned an E30,E36 and E46.I don't like any of the new designs.The only one that looks OK is the 5 but even it bugs me every time i see the high back end on it.As for the 6 series ,what were they thinking when they designed this car,nothing flows.They did a pretty good job on the facelift of the 7 series,so maybe there is hope for future models.By the way i was never a huge fan of the E36.The E30 on the other hand still looks incredible and so will the E46.Both are classic designs IMO.BMW was obviously listening to there customers when they designed the new 3 series or else they would have put the same high back end on it that they put on the 7,5 and 6.They didn't want to take a chance with there bread and butter car.Would someone please tell me what the point of this high trunkline is?More cargo height?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well I suppose that luggage space is one of those "tick boxes" which figure pretty high on the agenda with many designers and pundits these days.
The emphasis today seems to be on designing a car which technically out-performs the the competition in every area...rather than on producing something with real character and spirit.
As regards jealousy, I'm not suggesting that everybody is envious of the guys with newer cars...just that it must be a factor amongst some of those folks who are most inclined to vent an opinion.
[I was as envious as hell when the E46 appeared...and I'm still hoping to drool over an E90 coupe... when we see it ;) ]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts