BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tires-check
Helmet-check
Shoes- Uh Miss, I'm sorry you just can't drive around here without proper gear. Now go to the pro shop, buy some shoes and don't let me catch you driving in your bear's feet anymore.

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
Lori said:
Tires-check
Helmet-check
Shoes- Uh Miss, I'm sorry you just can't drive around here without proper gear. Now go to the pro shop, buy some shoes and don't let me catch you driving in your bears feet anymore.
:rofl:

A Highway Patrol once gave me a lecture cuz I wasn't wearing shoes (and going about 90 :eeps: ). He said it's illegal, blah, blah, blah... It was about 100 degrees near Palm Springs and I didn't have A/C in my 240Z, so I wasn't wearing a whole lot, especially shoes. I think he just wanted a good look :p :rolleyes: .

Now, I've got over 40 pairs of Ferragamo, Prada, Dior, Paul Smith shoes, but I still drive barefoot. :D

So what about the track? Anyone?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
machmeter said:
:rofl:

A Highway Patrol once gave me a lecture cuz I wasn't wearing shoes (and going about 90 :eeps: ). He said it's illegal, blah, blah, blah... It was about 100 degrees near Palm Springs and I didn't have A/C in my 240Z, so I wasn't wearing a whole lot, especially shoes. I think he just wanted a good look :p :rolleyes: .

Now, I've got over 40 pairs of Ferragamo, Prada, Dior, Paul Smith shoes, but I still drive barefoot. :D

So what about the track? Anyone?
Prada :thumbup: If anything it should be illegal to drive while wearing spiked slingbacks.

·
Sikkens Autocryl MM
2,808 Posts
machmeter said:
Why??? :dunno:
To be honest, I've never understood the rule, I'm guessing it offers some (but not much) fire protection. Otoh, short sleeve shirts aren't allowed, but open face helmets are :dunno:

Regardless, I have a feeling shoes will be a requirement, whatever school it is. If anything, to protect your feet as you jump out of a burning car.

·
Adolescent On-Call
3,262 Posts
elbert said:
To be honest, I've never understood the rule, I'm guessing it offers some (but not much) fire protection. Otoh, short sleeve shirts aren't allowed, but open face helmets are :dunno:

Regardless, I have a feeling shoes will be a requirement, whatever school it is. If anything, to protect your feet as you jump out of a burning car.
I wonder how often cars burn at track events. If course, if I was in the Le Mans, I'd be wearing all the protection money can buy!

·
Sikkens Autocryl MM
2,808 Posts
machmeter said:
I wonder how often cars burn at track events. If course, if I was in the Le Mans, I'd be wearing all the protection money can buy!
I'm sure it's happened. If anything, since they don't have proper fuel cells, street cars are more likely to catch fire than a race car.

·
DHP pwns ZHP :p
7,078 Posts
elbert said:

Because there is an off chance you might need to get out of the car in an unexpected spot, with gravel or whatever else which MAY be quite painful to walk on I would imagine. The long sleeve thing Elbert mentioned might be to prevent burns on the off chance a hot piece of rubber or something of the sort happens to hit you. Chances of that happening? Probably very low but it could happen....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That makes sense. I should probably try to get used to wearing shoes when I drive. Are there any women who compete in the GT class road course races? It would be nice to have a role model to look up to. Like if Gwen Stefani raced M3s :drive: , that would rock.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
doeboy said:
Because there is an off chance you might need to get out of the car in an unexpected spot, with gravel or whatever else which MAY be quite painful to walk on I would imagine. The long sleeve thing Elbert mentioned might be to prevent burns on the off chance a hot piece of rubber or something of the sort happens to hit you. Chances of that happening? Probably very low but it could happen....
I guess things like brakes and tires and mufflers get pretty hot out there on the track.

·
7,078 Posts
Lori said:
That makes sense. I should probably try to get used to wearing shoes when I drive. Are there any women who compete in the GT class road course races? It would be nice to have a role model to look up to. Like if Gwen Stefani raced M3s :drive: , that would rock.
Danica Patrick. :D

http://www.danicaracing.com/

·
7,078 Posts
Lori said:
I guess things like brakes and tires and mufflers get pretty hot out there on the track.
Why yes.... yes they do.... :)

oh... not to mention track/paddock surface temps which can get rather painful to walk on barefooted too... :eek:

·
7,078 Posts
Pick up a nice pair of driving shoes... the soles are thin for maximum pedal feel short of driving barefoot and will keep the soles of yer feet from getting burned. Not great for walkin on gravel but hey... better than nothing....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
doeboy said:
Pick up a nice pair of driving shoes... the soles are thin for maximum pedal feel short of driving barefoot and will keep the soles of yer feet from getting burned. Not great for walkin on gravel but hey... better than nothing....
Hey, any excuse to buy new shoes right?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.