BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Hoping someone can help!

I changed the battery on my 2012 BMW 640d Gran Coupe.

When I put the new battery in, the car started but the Idrive wouldn’t come on, can’t go into drive or reverse, the cluster clocks don’t light up or the needle doesn’t move if I rev the car. The car basically does nothing but start up and the wipers come on but I can’t them turm off??

Can someone let me know if there is anything I can do or do I have to get a truck to bring the car to the local BMW garage.... 100 miles away!

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi

Hoping someone can help!

When I put the new battery in, the car started but the Idrive wouldn't come on, can't go into drive or reverse, the cluster clocks don't light up or the needle doesn't move if I rev the car. The car basically does nothing but start up and the wipers come on but I can't them turm off??

Can someone let me know if there is anything I can do or do I have to get a truck to bring the car to the local BMW garage.... 100 miles away!

Did you replace it with same battery? 'if you got different battery maybe you need to registered that battery, if not the same as the old one you had before

Sent from my SM-G935P using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Hi

Hoping someone can help!

When I put the new battery in, the car started but the Idrive wouldn***8217;t come on, can***8217;t go into drive or reverse, the cluster clocks don***8217;t light up or the needle doesn***8217;t move if I rev the car. The car basically does nothing but start up and the wipers come on but I can***8217;t them turm off??

Not enough info to help you the best we can.

As djrynyc asked...did you replace the battery with the same type (AGM/wet-cell/lithium?)...and does the new battery have the same AH (amp hour) rating? And did you register the new battery (if it had the same specs as the old)...or register and recode the battery if the new battery has different specs and is a different type?

If you have UNLOCKED your cluster...you can go to the SYSTEM VOLTAGE test to see what the battery's voltage is. If you do this test with the engine NOT running...then it will show the battery's voltage...if you do it with engine running...it will show the system's voltage (alternator). If you don't know what this is...just go to youtube and type UNLOCK BMW cluster...look for the videos for BMWs that have the same type of cluster you have...or the models that are generational cousins (f06/f12/f13/f01/f10/etc)....the procedure will be the same.

If you check the battery's voltage and find that it is below 12 volts...then that will point to the battery's voltage is too low...and is probably the culprit of your odd electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi

Hoping someone can help!

When I put the new battery in, the car started but the Idrive wouldn't come on, can't go into drive or reverse, the cluster clocks don't light up or the needle doesn't move if I rev the car. The car basically does nothing but start up and the wipers come on but I can't them turm off??

initialize ZGW FlexRay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.