BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone here thinks it's necessary to get something to clamp the battery down. Although the battery itself is heavy, I'm sure that on certain driving surfaces it will have a tendency to bounce up and down in its compartment. If so, could you recommend me a website where I could get such a part, or should I just make one myself?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Just pick it up at the dealer. It's designed to have one OEM. You DEFINITELY need to have it.

·
That'll buff right out
436 Posts
NAAWWWW! Let it fly until the pos. post body grounds and THEN tell us what happens :p.

But seriously, if you are driving the car, you need one yesterday. If you're pretty good with tools and trust your own fab. work making your own works, too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
NAAWWWW! Let it fly until the pos. post body grounds and THEN tell us what happens :p.

But seriously, if you are driving the car, you need one yesterday. If you're pretty good with tools and trust your own fab. work making your own works, too.
I once had a battery tip over on an old opel manta

I got out and opened the bonnet (as the engine cut out) just in time to see 1 of the 2 front brake lines dissappear through the inner wing and leave a few chard fragments and a pile of ash :yikes: . JJ .

·
Registered
225 Posts
shouldn't be much but who knows. Maybe someone in the Part-Out section will be willing to part with one for cheap. It's just a little metal plate with a hole in it. Ask for the bolt too since it sounds like yours is completely missing. This is kinda important too since the terminals arent very far from the inner trunk.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea it didn't come with my car when I bought it. Thanks for all the help.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
I once had a battery tip over on an old opel manta

I got out and opened the bonnet (as the engine cut out) just in time to see 1 of the 2 front brake lines dissappear through the inner wing and leave a few chard fragments and a pile of ash :yikes: . JJ .
Whoa! And damn.....that old Opel is kinda cool.....
Do you know approx. how much the dealer charges? There's no other place where I can get one?
You could try a junkyard. I have no idea how much they charge, but quite frankly it's irrelevant. You need it, regardless. If that battery tips just enough to let the post touch the tons of metal back there, you'll paying a lot more than you would for that battery tiedown. Glad you recognized that it wasn't there. :thumbup:

It's a simple piece, so I wouldn't guess over $30.

·
U know how the game goes
705 Posts
Do you know approx. how much the dealer charges? There's no other place where I can get one?
I picked one up from the dealer last spring, cost me about $7 bucks.

The bolt, plate and washer are separate parts. Just ask for a "battery tie down bracket" and they should give you everything you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts