BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to see when my battery was put in the car to see if I need a new one. I can't seem to find the mfg date or a code to lookup. Can anyone tell me if this battery looks like it came with the car? ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468712401.140212.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468712415.375119.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468712426.724159.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468712451.160647.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468712478.765073.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468712490.132893.jpg

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,400 Posts
No one tore out the in service date tabs. See if there is a serial number listed someplace. I don't think that's the bar code in picture 6. Call the 800 number listed for warranty service and maybe they have it in their database. Could also be they have the VIN associated with the battery??

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to call but noticed they are not open on the weekends so I will call on Monday. I think there is a set of numbers imprinted on the top of the battery between the number 5 and the number 9 under the service tabs on pic 2. I will check those also since I didn't notice them before and I already put my sub back in my trunk so I'll do it 2morrow

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,400 Posts
If you haven't dealt with Advance Auto Parts online purchasing, now is the time. Find a coupon on their site or using Google. Buy the battery online and check the box that says pay and pick up in store. Paid $140 tax included for the H8-AGM in wife's 2009 X5 in 2013 and $142 tax included for the 95R/H9 in my 2006 530xi in 2014. I had $50 off on each of them.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Look for a small sticker on the side of the battery case ... May be coded wth a letter and number ... That corresponds to a month and year of manufacture. E.g. C-4 = March 2014.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no other sticker on the battery. I'm stumped. I don't want to just change the battery if it's still good.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don't say what year and model E60 you have. That information would be helpful.

However! The battery in your photographs is not an Original BMW battery, nor is it a replacement battery installed by a BMW dealer. All official BMW batteries, whether from the factory or replaced by a BMW dealer have BMW labels on them with the BMW logo and BMW part numbers.

The battery in your pictures is definitely an aftermarket battery. You should look on all four sides of the battery and see if there is a date label anywhere. Although usually that date is when the battery was manufactured, not when installed. Sometimes batteries can sit on shelves at auto supply stores for many months (like more than 12) before they are sold and installed.

Why are you asking about this? Are you experiencing symptoms that make you suspect your battery is failing or weak? You know you can go to most auto supply stores and they will test the battery and charging system for free.

If you decide to replace and do it yourself, you can buy a replacement battery from Advance Auto Parts for anywhere between $100 and $150 depending on what coupons you can find online to reduce the purchase price.

Instead of guessing whether you should replace the battery based on it's age, get it tested and know for sure if it's still good. Battery life can be all over the board. One battery can fail in a car within three years of installation, while an identical battery in an identical car can still be functioning normally after seven or eight years.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,400 Posts
In picture #2, I see some numbers that were carved into the plastic case just under the 7/8/9. Look at those and for similar "stamped" numbers.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The age of a battery not an indicator if it should be replaced. You have to determine what the condition the battery is in (although the age is a consideration). Are the car's electronics acting funny? You can get a determination of battery condition (as well as charging system output) at a AutoZone or similar store. Now if your car is a 2004 model year it is most likely the third battery installed (the original and two replacements). It could be the second and if it is it won't be long before it fails but you will get warning signs such as having to reset the clock each time you start the car.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 04 525i 130k. Carly says my battery is at 64% charge.everyday when I get in the car my heater turns on, sometimes even when I driving my heater comes on for no reason without me touching anything. I have also gotten the dreaded trans malfunction. Many people have told me to check to see if my battery is old and needs changing, because the battery can cause all different types of errors that aren't necessarily there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts