BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any harm in jump starting a 325 ci? I've heard there can be damage to electrical components if done wrong. I went on vaction for a week and the battery was dead. my boyfirend swears he didn't leave the lights on but the airport parking attendant says they definately were. :mad:

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
No prob in jump starting. Even if the lights weren't left on, the battery probably would have died anyhow...BMW batteries suck and don't like to sit for more than about 5 days. I've gone thru 5 batteries in 3 years, now I use a battery tender and no more problems (my car normally sits for a week in between drives).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
winwin808 said:
Is there any harm in jump starting a 325 ci? I've heard there can be damage to electrical components if done wrong. I went on vaction for a week and the battery was dead. my boyfirend swears he didn't leave the lights on but the airport parking attendant says they definately were. :mad:
Not a problem. As you may know, the battery itself is in the trunk but a wire extends into the engine compartment so that you can jump start the car via the two + and - posts right behind the right shock/strut tower. The negative (-) is not always strong enough. if it does not do the trick, clip the negative clip to the bolt on top of the stuct. On one very rare occasion I actually had to go directly to the battery in the truck, but this should be rare.

Make sure the car that is doing the jumping has a battery of equal or larger size (e.g. 12v, 24v, 32v, 48v) I can't remember the size of the 325ci. Check the owners manual.

I use a Dodge Durango in the winter and have jumped a fair amount of 325 and 525s in winters past without any problem.

if you have never jumped a car, here are some safety tips to follow
(http://www.ehow.com/how_511_jump-start-car.html)

Its happened to me before, if you don't already have one you should get a AAA membership. AAA will provide free jump starts to members.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts