BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mine is in the shop again for the battery.

First time they charged it, he's dropping the 'not driving much crap', I ignore, pick up the car.

a few days later, battery dead again.

There is a problem with the CAR and the solution is NOT me keeping it charged. It lasted 20 months of my driving before it went dead, then after a charge; 2 weeks, that says there is NOT a problem with my driving, there's a problem with the car.

If they want to just charge the battery and give it back, fine, I'll see them in 2 weeks when it dies again. I'll do this all day baby.

You have to stand firm, I ain't paying for NOTHING for 4 years. That was the deal. I didn't get any memo stating if I didn't drive enough I was responsible for repairs. That's BS.

BMW needs to stop blaming the customer and start fixing the car, if they can't fix it, buy it back.

BTW, I called that BMW assist to have my car jumped on Monday morning at 8AM. Guess who showed up. NOBODY. Emergency assistance my A$$. They got an ear full...

I'm getting a real bad taste about these BMW's.

·
2007 550i, '13 X5, '02 X5
691 Posts
Wow, that's not good news and sorry to hear about your problems. :( Sounds like you have a battery drain or charging system problem for sure. You're right, do not take no for an answer and battle with them to get the car fixed. A deal is a deal, 48 months maintenance and warranty and they should cover everything that goes wrong, including electrical and battery. Here's a link from the E65/E66 7-Series forum where someone was having very similar problems as you. He has included some very good diagnostic suggestions and summarizes the dealer's actions very well. I hope this helps and let us know how things work out for you!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348820

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is the solution - directly from BMW

Here is the SIB for the dead battery issue directly from BMW. Print it off, take it to your SA and explain to them the problem.

If your SA has never heard of SIB's before, time to get a new SA.

I would also ask to speak with the GM about your issue. Explain to them that if you can find this information on the internet without being a BMW dealer what is thier excuse for not knowing about this? This has been going on since March 08.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
Glad I saw this discussion. I am taking my 4 month old 08 535xi in for possible battery problems on Thursday. Since I have owned it the digital clock keeps needing setting, all wheel drive malfunction message may come on at startup and one time the car was dead and had to be jump started. These all happen on cold startup. I am not a low millage driver, as I put about 1800 miles on a month. Sure, hoping they can fix it, as I don't want it happening when I am not at home

·
Registered
81 Posts
same thing occurs to me in my '08 535xi. If it sits a few days, AWD is disabled and I have to reset clock. That's an annoyance but it makes me nervous to park my car at the airport for a week's vacation. The last thing I want is to come out after vacation and have to deal with a jump start.
I'm taking mine in for service in two weeks - I'll report back on what they say. I'm sure its my fault - it couldn't possibly be BMW's :rolleyes:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Glad I saw this discussion. I am taking my 4 month old 08 535xi in for possible battery problems on Thursday. Since I have owned it the digital clock keeps needing setting, all wheel drive malfunction message may come on at startup and one time the car was dead and had to be jump started. These all happen on cold startup. I am not a low millage drive as I put about 1800 miles on a month. Sure, hoping they can fix it, as I don't want it happening when I am not at home
Yes, we didn't drive our 535xi for one day, and yesterday I got clock reset and no AWD. (34 degrees F outside)

I've got the new software, etc.

·
Registered
541 Posts
As per below took my car in for what I thought would be a needed new battery. Ended up they had to reprogram my car. Not exactly sure what that will do, but hopefully it fixes the below issues. Driving home though it seems that now the car seems like it may skip/hesitate two times. Did not happen often, but probably about 5 times on a 45 mile drive. So wonder what that could be?

Glad I saw this discussion. I am taking my 4 month old 08 535xi in for possible battery problems on Thursday. Since I have owned it the digital clock keeps needing setting, all wheel drive malfunction message may come on at startup and one time the car was dead and had to be jump started. These all happen on cold startup. I am not a low millage driver, as I put about 1800 miles on a month. Sure, hoping they can fix it, as I don't want it happening when I am not at home

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree ridiculous my car has been in three times for same problem. Battery charged twice, steering wheel sensor replaced and software update.

I love the disclaimer BMW put on the back of my last insert with bill talking about cold weather and battery issues and you need to make sure you drive enough.. Are you kidding me? They go on to say they will replace battery under the free maintenance policy, but they fail to mention that the phantom problem will drain the new battery as well, at least thats what my service tech says. I don't recall this being a problem last winter with my 07 550...

I feel like telling BMW that I would like to prorate my lease payment for lack of a fricking clock for the last 3 months.. Have had 4 previous BMW's with no problem ever.

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
454 Posts
Mine is in the shop again for the battery.

First time they charged it, he's dropping the 'not driving much crap', I ignore, pick up the car.

a few days later, battery dead again.

There is a problem with the CAR and the solution is NOT me keeping it charged. It lasted 20 months of my driving before it went dead, then after a charge; 2 weeks, that says there is NOT a problem with my driving, there's a problem with the car.

If they want to just charge the battery and give it back, fine, I'll see them in 2 weeks when it dies again. I'll do this all day baby.

You have to stand firm, I ain't paying for NOTHING for 4 years. That was the deal. I didn't get any memo stating if I didn't drive enough I was responsible for repairs. That's BS.

BMW needs to stop blaming the customer and start fixing the car, if they can't fix it, buy it back.

BTW, I called that BMW assist to have my car jumped on Monday morning at 8AM. Guess who showed up. NOBODY. Emergency assistance my A$$. They got an ear full...

I'm getting a real bad taste about these BMW's.
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought an executive demo from a local dealer in November. This car went into service originally in April of 2008 and had 3600 miles on the clock when I picked it up. One of the items on the invoice was a replacement battery. I asked why and was told told that it had cracked over slow once or twice so they replaced the battery just to be sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Had similar problems with our 2008 535i as well. Eventually they replaced the battery, alternator, and the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS)

Oh yea. They replaced the car as well due to it being in the shop once a month for 6 months for these issues. Our new 2009 will be picked up Monday.

·
Oh, its "That Guy"
159 Posts
Lock the car

We've had several clock resets / 4X4 diabled mornings. We've just gotten into a pattern of locking the car even when in the garage. Never a fault if the car is locked. Its as though locking the car creates a deeper "sleep mode" than simply keeping the CA key fob away from the car for 18 minutes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had a lot of problems with this "increased battery discharge" issue. Happens to me twice a week or so. Luckily my car has always started, just my date/time/trip computer is all deleted.

I took it to the dealer about 2 months ago and was told that I don't drive enough miles and make too many short trips. The dealer charged the battery and recommended a battery tender.

I just took my car back yesterday for the same issue. This time they replaced the battery. I doubt this will fix the problem. I will continue to take it back for this issue until they really fix it.

Like others, I refuse to accept plugging in a car with a 70k + sticker price.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
We've had several clock resets / 4X4 diabled mornings. We've just gotten into a pattern of locking the car even when in the garage. Never a fault if the car is locked. Its as though locking the car creates a deeper "sleep mode" than simply keeping the CA key fob away from the car for 18 minutes.
Sounds like you've found a work-around for a defect that should be taken care of by BMW. I have CA on my ED 650, and always leave the key in the car when parked in my garage--no danger of theft where I live. And, this car goes weeks w/o being driven with no battery discharge problem in the 2.5 yrs since redelivery.

Spyder

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have an 07 530i that does not get driven much. Delivery date was Nov. 2006. I have 8300 miles on it now. I have noticed when I do not drive it for a few weeks that it is slow to turn over, but my date and time are always remembered.
I went out today and looked at the battery and put my voltmeter on it....11.5 volts. I feel that this is low. In fact my eye on the battery is not green, it is black. I plugged in my charger and 6 hours later I am at 12.6 volts and I have a green eye in the battery. I will drive it all next week and monitor the battery status. I guess I can't complain, it really is not driven much and it stays in the garage and the battery is going on 3 years old.
There are just so many electrical things and computers in this car, nothing like my 86 Mercedes 300sdl. It's battery is over 10 years old and is just fine. Not many computers in a 1986 Mercedes Turbodiesel.

John

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
The longest I have not driven my car is for 3 weeks, and there was no problem. I always garage it, and I always lock it immediately. I don't have CA.

Just info for anyone who might want to know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too have had to reset the time and clock a few times each month. The explanation I got from my local dealer was the "The key fob is too close to the car". I subsequently spoke with the Service Manager who agreed that was a presposterous explanation. I guess I'll be driving a loaner for a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Battery Problem Experience

I have a '08 528xi with the same battery issues being reported. I have had it in to service 3 times since April '08. On the last visit I was told the problem is caused be a too short commute. Well what am I supposed to do, move further away to insure I drive enough each day to keep the battery charged! My commute is what it is. So here is what I now do to help alleviate the drain on the battery on the advice of my service advisor. I turned off my daytime running lights, I reduced the pathway lighting to the least amount of time, I do not go into the car after it is parked (no trunk access or cabin access) so that it can go to sleep and stay there, and I do not lock the car at my office. And I occassionally still have to put it on a charger. These changes seem to be helping, though on a very cold day last week I had the problem of getting the 4x4 error message anyway. But here is the problem I am having with all of this. I have had other cars that I have used exactly the same way as I am trying to use the BMW and have never had to contend with these battery drain issues (most recently an Acura TL). In order to insure that I reduce the strain on the BMW battery the car has forced me to alter the way I use IT! Since when does a car start to place demands on its driver rather than the other way around? BMW needs to fix this problem. The kind of advice I have gotten my my service advisor is unacceptable to me for any car, but particularly on a $50,000 luxury car. Are you listening BMW?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ten days ago, I bought an '06 530xi directly from the original owner. It's fabulous, beautiful, totally loaded with everything (except HUD) and it's my third 5'er in 10 years. I've had to reset the clock almost every day so far, have replaced the battery in the CA Fob myself because an iDrive console message told me to, and also have seen a message that the car battery needs serviced. The car is still under 50k/4yr warranty and I'm very glad I've found this post before taking it in to the stealership for service. If I get a run-around that I have to (a) drive a certain distance, (b) park the car or "shut it down" a certain way, or do some special Cherokee rain dance around it every night in order for it not to be my fault that the battery dies, I will have lost all faith in BMW and will promptly trade it in for the S-class I was considering instead. These stories are horrendous customer service for 50-80k luxury vehicles. I'll keep you all posted and I'm glad I still haven't sold my '99 E39 that's been solid as a rock ever since day 1.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My '05 545i was starting to get a little slow to turn over and I noticed the CD changer seemed to be loading every time I got in the car. Since I travel a fair amount and leave the car at the airport for a week at a time, (and being anal :) ),I decided to replace the battery as a preventative measure. Maybe it is my imagination, but the car seems to drive even better with a new battery. Placebo?

They offered me three possible replacements and I went with the one with the highest CCA (850). It was expensive as I am outside the free maintenance period but they did the job right and none of my presets nor preferences were lost, etc. $404 installed.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts