Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I need some advice what i have to do next or nothing at all.
The background: I bought a 2004 645ci with 76k miles and SMG transmission.
Before i bought it i DID read up a lot here and the more I read the more I was sure
I shouldnt touch that car. But the looks of the car got me anyway.
Engine bone dry under the car and everything looking good except two mechanics
who checked the car before me buying it telling me the strange shifting must be a bad torque converter. LOL
The problem started quick after taking the car come...battery dead after one or two
days. Since I had a short warranty on the car I took it back and found out they knew the problem and thought it was fixed. They had already replaced the alternator and the battery
for the drain issue. They installed ANOTHER new battery with no success. Then I got more
involved in this forum and installed my OBD2 bluetooth scanner and suggested they should replace the IBS sensor. They did but still after 3 days no start. They gave up and told me to take it to BMW for the sleep test.....I did and they blamed me. The OBD2 port woke the car up and after the plug was pulled the car shut down correct. So i assume the IBS sensor fixed it. Here is the question:
If i park it for 4 days now without a charger of any kind the car starts but the IDrive is completely dead and the button just spins. After short driving a reset of the unit brings back the IDrive and all is good. Do i STILL have a power drain issue and the car shuts IDrive off to be able to start the car or is the IDrive going bad???

When the car is on the battery charger or used ever 2nd day i have no Idrive issues.
Only after 4 days or longer the IDrive doesnt work.....Thanks for any ideas.

To add: I keep the OBD2 plug disconnected and I have no comfort key...I have NO extra equipment or amplifiers or other non BMW stuff in the car................

·
Super Moderator
8,137 Posts
You have something draining your battery, that is probably an aftermarket add on. If you leave a Bluetooth OBD2 device plugged in, it will drain the battery. Nothing can be left plugged in, that uses power after the car is shutdown.

When the battery was installed, was the battery registered to the car? You can read more about this in the Sticky section If devices start shutting down on the car like the IDrive, this is from a load shed trying to save the battery. If you charge your battery to above 12 volts, does the IDrive work? The IDrive can be reset by holding the power button, along with both eject buttons, until you see BMW come back up on the screen. The low battery voltage can effect the transmission shifting, so how does it shift when the battery is fully charged. One last thing is do not leave the doors open & the ignition on, as this will drain the battery also.

If you plan on working on your car your self, you need to search out ISTA & a compatible cable. The regular OBD2 reader will not read all of the functions properly on a BMW, as it has it own set of fault codes.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
+1 on what Herb said. How do you know the other battery was “New?” Also new batteries are not always charged to adequate levels if sitting around. It could have been pulled from another vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said i do have nothing in the car anymore that doesnt belong there....nothing aftermarket. It doesnt shift different all is normal except the Idrive after 4 days. When the Voltmeter shows 14 volts when fully charged the IDrive is also normal.....How can i check if the battery was registered??? I assume they did since the place deals only in high end cars like BMW Porsche Mercedes and others. The IDrive reset is how i got it back to normal after the 4 plus day parking....When BMW said nothing woke up the car anymore when it went to sleep how can I still find a power drain myself if there is one??
Is ISTA a program that would help me with that and the battery registration??? I am ready to give up and just plug it on the charger when not in use...sigh....i know that cant be a long term solution either...........

·
Super Moderator
8,137 Posts
As I said i do have nothing in the car anymore that doesnt belong there....nothing aftermarket. It doesnt shift different all is normal except the Idrive after 4 days. When the Voltmeter shows 14 volts when fully charged the IDrive is also normal.....How can i check if the battery was registered??? I assume they did since the place deals only in high end cars like BMW Porsche Mercedes and others. The IDrive reset is how i got it back to normal after the 4 plus day parking....When BMW said nothing woke up the car anymore when it went to sleep how can I still find a power drain myself if there is one??
Is ISTA a program that would help me with that and the battery registration??? I am ready to give up and just plug it on the charger when not in use...sigh....i know that cant be a long term solution either...........
You need to measure the voltage under the hood at the jump terminal. Turn your headlights & ignition on, do not start the engine, then measure the voltage. The voltage needs to stay above 12 volts, engine off. It is best to measure the voltage after the car has set all night without charging the battery before this. 14 volts would be the voltage with the engine running, & were are you reading your voltage from? You can find the battery drain by connecting a volt meter at the battery with the negative terminal removed. Hood one end of the voltmeter to the battery, & one to the cable. Start removing fuses one at a time, & when your amp reading drops to very low, you found your problem. You can find ISTA on the net, & it will need to Windows 10 to operate on properly. Check the coding forum here for more info on the suggested cable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks....i will try that measuring the 12 Volt at the jump terminal tomorrow....i used to get the voltage reading from either the battery carger at the jump terminal or inside when driving from a digital plug in into the cigarette lighter.......are you talking about turning the driving lights on??? its set on auto and in the garage i think the day time running lights would come on when i turn the ignition on......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK HerbP.....after a long drive car was parked in the garage for about 24 hours...no charger....Car off on jumper terminal with
voltmeter was 12.97 Volts.
Ignition on with radio on lights off and AC off it was 12.44Volts.
With light switch on automatic and low beams on it was 12.29Volts.

What does that tell you???

·
Super Moderator
8,137 Posts
That says the battery is probably not your problem, you are going to need someone with ISTA to solve the problem. Measure your voltage going to the fuel pump to make sure it is getting voltage, just to eliminate the fuel pump. Did you pull hard on the negative cable when removing it from the battery? There is a fusible link that shuts the fuel pump off when this link is damaged. Measure across the link to confirm that there is voltage on both sides of the link.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
almost forgot..when bmw did the sleep test besides complaining about my obd2 plug they complained that the battery cable was loose which they fixed.
I will check the fuel pump voltage next weekend.....till then i will put the car on the charger..i want to see if there is an IDrive problem after 4 or 5 days
when its on a charger.....Thanks for your help....I will see if i can get ISTA myself next weekend.....

·
Super Moderator
8,137 Posts
Reading back thru you notes, it says the battery & alternator were replaced. Who replaced the alternator, & where did they buy it from? If BMW did a sleep test on your car, they should have a diagnostic test report that should have some needed info on it. Try & see if they will send you the diagnostic report. If an alternator was purchased from a parts store, the voltage regulator could be causing your problems? This usually means there is a BSD message, not sending the proper voltage to the DME. You also could have a IVM module that is failing, that will not show up on any diagnostic equipment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quick update...thanks HerbP.....i hope you are overthinking this. The alternator was replaced from the car dealers mechanics where i bought the car.
When I used the app bimmertool for the OBD2 scanning it was showing error code 299B and 28D7. That was before the IBS sensor was replaced.
I have to check if these errors still show up. Right now since i got the free offer for a second scan the 645 is at the BMW dealership to see if there is still
a battery drain or not. If i am lucky......its just a slowly dying or aging Idrive radio going bad. I will use this weekend to get ISTA Rheingold everybody talks about.

·
Registered
507 Posts
quick update...thanks HerbP.....i hope you are overthinking this. The alternator was replaced from the car dealers mechanics where i bought the car.
When I used the app bimmertool for the OBD2 scanning it was showing error code 299B and 28D7. That was before the IBS sensor was replaced.
I have to check if these errors still show up. Right now since i got the free offer for a second scan the 645 is at the BMW dealership to see if there is still
a battery drain or not. If i am lucky......its just a slowly dying or aging Idrive radio going bad. I will use this weekend to get ISTA Rheingold everybody talks about.
The one thing I've learned around here is that there is a specific diagnostic tree. Why do you think you got an offer for a free scan?

·
Super Moderator
8,137 Posts
I would ask where the alternator came from? If it was a rebuilt alternator, your problems are most likely related to the alternator. Only put OEM parts on your engine & transmission, unless they made the part for BMW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here are a couple of videos that document a methodical approach to determining the root cause of excessive parasitic draw. Step 1 is to measure the current draw when the car is in sleep mode. Published info on BMW’s is that the normal sleep mode current draw is between 40 and 50 mA. I just measured the draw on my 2008 650i with the car locked, trunk open (to allow access to the battery cable), and key fob out of range. Measurements were 45 and 47 mA. When my garage cools down this fall I plan to measure normal fuse voltage drops so we have a base line for future issues.
Good Luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhWEeDE996k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok....finally picked the car up from BMW thursday....they kept it for almost a week. Did 2 sleep tests and then tried to start it ever other day. NO issue found I was told. Drain after the car shut down is the 40ma you talked about HerbP........so thats it for now...if the Idrive dont start after 4 days i guess its the Idrive whats going out.....everything seems ok so far....till i just pulled it into the garage and the yellow dynamic drive control error showed up.....LMAO......I SHOULD have stayed contend with my 528XI and walked away from the 645xi......

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just read over this post and HerbP ( who is one of the guru's on here) has asked you REPEATEDLY, to check on what brand and if your alternator is a rebuild.. Have you done this yet???????????

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont know....i never checked.I was told its new and it looks new. I will try tomorrow to see
if i can read anything on it.....So far i had no more issues. (Since i keep the obd2 bluetooth adapter removed) I started to wait till i could hear the radio now before i start the car and no more issues. It starts when i use it every other day .If i park it longer then 3 days i put it on the charger and call it my new Prius. Lol

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Just rereading your posts. I can say100% that if you had anything in the OBD port that be your battery drain issue. OBD never shus off your power and anything plugged in there will slowly your battery..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
roseng....i belive thats true what you say..it makes sense just alone for the LED lights which are visible on the bluetooth connector at all times. BUT.....I have one plugged into my 2008 528 and the car will start after 10 days...i tried...the 645ci battery was totally dead on day 2. Thats a different kind of drain there dont you think?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Can’t speak about the 528 but our 6 series do have very squirrelly electrical systems. I don’t recall those complaints on the 5 series. I had the same issue so I stay away from The ODB unless I need to use it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts