BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1995 e34 540i - I removed every single fuse and relay in both the underhood fuse box and the one under the rear seat yet still have both positive and negative current passing through most of my interior lights,still nothing lights up.Strangely, I have positive juice running from the grounds ( my testlight illuminates when one end is plugged to the negative on the battery post, and the other to the negative terminal of any inside light. The flashlight in the glove box is putting out positive on the negative terminal.And no, my battery is not ''ground'' or reverse charged.Everything else works.) Please help. I'm not supposed to hate this car!:cry:

·
Wrenchin' guy
431 Posts
:smokin:

Hey,

Take the NEG battery terminal OFF the battery (leave POS side on the batt) and then check the same path you were checking with the test light. if you get a light (testlight LIT) on the "negative" side of any of your interior light circuits you have a short in the wiring somewhere.

Electron flow can be described as a phenomona.....

There are two schools of thought here, one is electron flow is the passing of electrons from one chemical substance to another along a resistive path (i.e battery and corresponding circuitry) hence positive to negative current flow. The second theory is that electrons create "holes" in electrical charged circuits (again along a resistive path), thereby current actually flows from negative to positive.. this is why most car manuals say to disconnect the "NEG" side of the battery terminal first before doing any work on the car which may endanger the ECU etc etc etc...

(ya I know, blah blah blah)............:snooze:

anyway good luck, try the removal of the neg side of the batt and test again ok?

cheers!!

cpnwrench

:smokin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly appreciate the time you took to write me. It was the very first thing I did ( Test light on negative.The test light was super bright.) I'm beyond that and looking for a more specific cause, such as a hidden burnt relay,or maybe the burglar alarm...only the trunk lights work .Yet all my inside lights are positive ground. I'm starting to suspect that a really large woman with sharp pointy heels probably stepped on a wiring harness or something... Thank you very much though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
isolate the area

Disconnect all the interior lights at the connection!(boot, interior and bonnet. If you still get the same result wiring diagrams are ur only option to isolate the circuit! If the short is gone reconnect in isolation and you should then be able to locate problem area. On the problem circuit look for obvious areas where water or wires and connecters are open to movement, water retension and corrosion. hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeeze...

Still no luck.I like the car though.Time to istall pedals.Probably 21 speeds or something !:rofl: Thanks for the help.It was a good idea but I think I have a skinned wire or something.Out comes the carpet

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Maybe you have this common problem in both the E34 and in the E39???

Originally Posted by aliaw528
My trunk lights stopped working last month, and i have always had some weird electrical gremlins. I read about this on Roadfly, check your wiring loom in the trunk where it exits out the hole. Looks like when the trunk lid is pushed to the fully open position (beyond 90 degrees), the wire loom gets cut on a deck lip because BMW made the wire loom too short. I fixed my broken wire with a connector (that was the trunk lights) wrapped each wire in elec tape, then put rubber bike tubing around that and elect taped again, then rolled the OEM boot on again. Next i need to put a rubber washer on the trunk lid deck lip. When fixing this, it is easier if you roll the rubber boot down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts