BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my new e36 to work today and it was just fine the way there. After work the battery was dead as a duck, only faint cluster LED's could be seen shortly. I noticed quickly that the positive battery cable was loose and not all the way on. After tightening down, i figured power would be completely restored(cause if the battery wasn't connected, at couldn't be using power). The car still wouldn't start all though i got some more light and i had to jump it, once jumped it stayed on and had no problem running, so most likely not an alternator prob. Anyway, the Question, Would a not tightened battery cable drain the battery, or do i need to look for another problem?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess the glove box light might have been on, cause nothing else was obliviously left on. i'll never no since it was dead when i got to it.

·
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
1,203 Posts
Anyway, the Question, Would a not tightened battery cable drain the battery, or do i need to look for another problem?
No. But will prevent it from charging properly. With a high resistance connection, the the connection develops a large voltage difference at high current and the battery might only get 12 of the 14V across the set.

Charge it right up and you should still be fine, as it's only short term. Always check the water line too after a flattening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts