BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this happen on another vehicle (different make) -- a failure in the brake light switch/pedal that caused the brake lights to activate and stay on while parked. Killed the battery!

·
Anti-Hack
5,468 Posts
Just had this happen on another vehicle (different make) -- a failure in the brake light switch/pedal that caused the brake lights to activate and stay on while parked. Killed the battery!
Good advice. I've seen a few vehicles driving around with their brake lights on for miles, so while rare, it's not that rare.

Also add a shorting rear hatch switch, it'll cause the interior lights to come on while parked overnight, also draining the battery in short order.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice. I've seen a few vehicles driving around with their brake lights on for miles
Could be, but from experience most of those are likely "two-footed" drivers. They keep one foot on the brake pedal and the other on the gas.

The owner of a company I worked for did that and we couldn't break his habit. He went through brake pads very quickly.

·
Anti-Hack
5,468 Posts
That's what I'd always thought as wel because whenever there is a problem, I automatically assume operator error first. I was just thinking your post might help save my image of humanity...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One life-philosophy: Set your expectations very low, then you'll rarely be disappointed.

·
Gearhead
282 Posts
Good advice. I've seen a few vehicles driving around with their brake lights on for miles, so while rare, it's not that rare.

Also add a shorting rear hatch switch, it'll cause the interior lights to come on while parked overnight, also draining the battery in short order.
I see it often too. I also note it is always a GM product. :rofl:

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I see it often too. I also note it is always a GM product. :rofl:
yes. BMW has a complex algorithm to check the brake light switch. It measures the brake fluid pressure, brake pedal switch status and the brake light bulb status. If they don't match an error message pops up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts