BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a battery in the Key Remote? If so, does anyone know how to change it? My Key Remote sometimes works....it works whenever it feels like it!!! Or sometimes if I hit the Key Remote itself it will work. Also, if it doesnt have a battery, does anyone have any ideas as to why it is not working??? Thanks for the help!!!:) Oh and it is for a 2001 325i!

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
I believe the battery in the key is charged when it is placed in the ignition.

I imagine the battery is wearing out, or the key in general has issues. Do you have the spare key?

If not you can order one for about $125 from the dealer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
AMBERDAISY22 said:
Is there a battery in the Key Remote? If so, does anyone know how to change it? My Key Remote sometimes works....it works whenever it feels like it!!! Or sometimes if I hit the Key Remote itself it will work. Also, if it doesnt have a battery, does anyone have any ideas as to why it is not working??? Thanks for the help!!!:) Oh and it is for a 2001 325i!
chuck92103 is correct about charging it in the ignition.

If it doesn't recharge, then it needs replacing. I just had one replaced myself.

If you still had warranty, it would be covered under that. Instead you need to buy one. You have to have it ordered through a BMW dealer. It takes a couple of days. Once they get it, they need to transfer the info about your car from the old key to the new.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Had a similar situation. The dealer told me to try driving the car for a bit to try to let it recharge. That worked for me. It was for my second key, I hardly use it, but was in a hurry so I grabbed my spare and the doors wouldn't unlock with the remote. Well took a nice little trip and that seemed to work for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!!

Thanks for the info! My car was sitting unused for about a month so I am going to try and recharge it and if that doesnt work then I guess I'll have to go get a new one!!! Thanks again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
the remote key on my bmw key also did not work it seemed to have lost it's charge and would not operate the locking and unlocking of the car.
i have managed to recharge it by using my electric toothbrush conducting charger,you have to make sure the metal blade of the key is placed so that it is in contact with the conducting part of the charger.
i charged over two days and now works as it should.saved myself ***163;100 for the cost of a new key.

Bap

·
Registered
75 Posts
the remote key on my bmw key also did not work it seemed to have lost it's charge and would not operate the locking and unlocking of the car.
i have managed to recharge it by using my electric toothbrush conducting charger,you have to make sure the metal blade of the key is placed so that it is in contact with the conducting part of the charger.
I know this is an old thread, but I'm intrigued by your use of your toothbrush chrager to charge your key.

Are we talking Sonicare?

If so, is the sweat spot in the center of the base?

How long did you have to leave it in there?

I'd definitely like to avoid both frying the key, and getting gouged by the dealer.

Thanks

·
Properly chastised re: Xi
1,007 Posts
I know this was an old post but I want to point out that this is incorrect. The charging happens via magnetic inductance. Putting the metal blade of the key somewhere special is unnecessary. Just having the key in the presence of an appropriately tuned magnetic field is all that is required.

The preferred way of charging up a key with a dead battery would be to go for a nice long drive on some twisty back roads. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts