BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 86325es, Nothing happens when I turn the key, have checked all fusues so, the question is; Is the long cable from the trunk in one piece, do they go bad? Should I move the battery to ther under-the-hood battery box? Any other ideas of what is wrong would be helpful I did put in a new starter and that did not help. Also, when I cross the solenoid with a scredriver it just whurrs and does not engage. Long message, but I need help or dynamite...

·
Rather Large Member
4,553 Posts
Did you check the ground running from the frame to the oil pan? If it is bad you'll get nothing. A good way to check if it needs replacing, is to take one clamp of your jumper cables and clamp it on the oil drain plug, take the other end and clamp it in a well grounded place, like a bolt head on the steering rack, and try and turn it over.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It pretty much follows straight along the frame...then I think it goes behind the wheel well, If I remember correctly. I'm wrenching my car tomorrow so I can check then for you. I opt for keeping the battery where it is. The reason is because it's a great place to put something. For example, my washers don't work. I've replaced the pump, twice, checked the wires...now it looks like it might be the hoses or nozzles or something. I'm doing a shadetree on frame restoration. I'm considering a replacement washer unit that goes for like 20 dollars, nozzles, hoses, and all. that would be a good place to put it. also, it's not a bad place to store tools, properly stowed, that meet or exceed the trunk tool unit. I think it's a cool spot. Leave it.

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
theres a tube in the right rear fender. You can take it off and see the cable. But im not sure if theres a fusable link

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your getting your starter to whir you've got power to the starter. Check the voltage at the power junction block on the fire-wall near where the battery would be re-located to. Whith the ignition on it should be 12+ volts. From there you can track the much shorter wire to the starter.
Do your gauges etc. come on when you turn the key? If not you may have a problem with your ignition switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, the cable is all in one piece, (there are actually 2 wires, one thick one and one thinner one.) they both are one piece to a block on the firewall, where the battery would go under the hood. the main (thicker cable) has no fuse BUT the thinner one has an inline fues, about 6 inches from the battery. it goes to the block on the firewall then splits to 2 red wires, one to the main relay, and one to the fuel pump relay.

Check for voltage at the main relay (pin 30 on the relay) should be battery voltage. if not than its likely the fuse in the wire.

If it doesnt spin the motor, i would be checking the ground, then the switch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts