BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery light is on solid. Did the cluster test and it read 11.4 Volts. I also have a tool to check the alternator and it states dead alternator.

My battery is new and starts the car no problem. My positive and negative terminals are attached solid. Car still runs but 11.4 volts is what it is reading. I tested this a few months ago and I had 13.7 to 14.3 so definitely a difference.

Before I purchase an alternator for my car, any idiosyncrasies that I should be aware of. Could it be something else. Any experiences you have all had would be greatly appreciated. The car and alternator have 140,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That light is telling you the alternator is not charging so you are on the right path. Has nothing to do with the state of charge for the battery itself.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Ditto the Mayor...see definition of that warning light from the owners manual (one of the most misinterpreted warning lights): :)

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
5,982 Posts
I'm in the same boat, but I'm lazy and right now feeling cheap (recently spent $3000 on a family trip in addition to many other non-budgeted expenses this year). Mine has been sitting for almost 2 weeks (mostly because of said trip) and I finally started tearing into it today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it is just the regulator ($15?) and my plan is to replace it without actually removing the alternator from the motor, just need a 24mm offset wrench to remove the pulley.

Timm's alternator rebuild

·
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER
462 Posts
My battery light is on solid. Did the cluster test and it read 11.4 Volts. I also have a tool to check the alternator and it states dead alternator.

My battery is new and starts the car no problem. My positive and negative terminals are attached solid. Car still runs but 11.4 volts is what it is reading. I tested this a few months ago and I had 13.7 to 14.3 so definitely a difference.

Before I purchase an alternator for my car, any idiosyncrasies that I should be aware of. Could it be something else. Any experiences you have all had would be greatly appreciated. The car and alternator have 140,000 miles on it.
Yup... Alternator going. Be careful because if you go too long like that, you will also take out your battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... Really appreciate the feedback. A remanufactured Bosch alternator is on the way and the car is parked and waiting. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts