BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@53000 miles now. Listening to the radio having lunch. Suddenly car went sleep and battery sign came on . Restarted the car 'check ok' . I know it is battery but how long should i wait before i go to dealer to get it checked and cost wise

·
Registered
'18 BMW X1, '14 ML350, '07 C280
2,058 Posts
Take a basic multi-meter (Volt meter) and test the voltage across the battery terminals. Voltage should be around 12.4Volts. If the voltage is lower, charge the battery on a slow-charge.

While the engine is running, test again. While the engine is running, the voltage should be above 14V. If not, alternator [or the voltage regulator on the alternator] may not be working properly. You can have it rebuilt or buy a remanufactured unit and install it yourself.

·
Sleeper Wagon
729 Posts
@53000 miles now. Listening to the radio having lunch. Suddenly car went sleep and battery sign came on . Restarted the car 'check ok' . I know it is battery but how long should i wait before i go to dealer to get it checked and cost wise
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you a DIY type of person? If so, pcy gives great advice on how to diagnose the problem and determine if it's the alternator and/or battery. Then you can get great info on this forum how to replace both.

If you're not a DIY person, you can have the same diagnostics done (in descending cost) by BMW, an independent BMW repair shop (if you know one) or a local autoparts stores (that knows foreign cars...).

Once you determine the problem, there are several threads about batteries, but you can save $ by getting an OEM battery and having it installed and registered at an indepedent shop. ( battery ~$100, install/registering ~$100)

If you want to go the BMW route and have them replace it, you'll pay more (~$200 for battery, $200 for install and registering). Get a quote *before* they do the work and shop around if you can. But you shouldn't let them screw you - some people on this forum have paid $700 for a new battery, installation and registration!

Good luck:thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.