BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my wife said battery light came on after 1 mile of driving ,then went out after she started coming back home. she re continued to work with no issues. upon leaving work it came on again and then went out again after a few minutes of driving. car starts strong and battery may be 4 years old....no other issues ???alternator or regulator ?ooopss 05 z4

·
Registered
745 Posts
Alternator or regulator. Can't really say until you put a voltmeter on it while the battery light is lit.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Check floating voltage on battery prior to starting it up...

Check voltage output on alternator/regulator after starting it up.

If you have one of those "plug in to the cigarette/power outlet" style voltage readers that would be a bonus to have to monitor voltage as you drive/idle....

Google automotive battery voltage and alternator voltage output to get an idea of the proper voltage expected.

Based upon what readings you get you from your battery/alternator will be more educated as to the possible cause of the battery light coming on...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sssssoooo i drag my volt meter out this VERY COLD morn and check the off voltage . 12.36 .....fire it up and right away 13.48 idle. I look for the dash battery icon.......................................................................wait for it.....................................................................................low coolant icon is on. took less than a quart but i will keep an eye on it for leaks. thank you and sorry for the false report........i should have confirmed first.....hey i am old

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. At 4yrs of age the battery could start going soon. Mine are lasting exactly 5yrs before dying.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just had mine replaced. He explained that the z4's should take an AMG battery, but most people don't want to fork over the added expense because once it's changed, diagnostics need to be run etc etc.. at least that's what I think he said after it was installed. In any event, the new battery cost $200.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I just had mine replaced. He explained that the z4's should take an AMG battery, but most people don't want to fork over the added expense because once it's changed, diagnostics need to be run etc etc.. at least that's what I think he said after it was installed. In any event, the new battery cost $200.
This is incorrect(but commonly said by mechanics and dealers). The E85/86 can take either LA or AGM batteries interchangeably with no programming needed. That being said, my OEM battery was AGM and I got an LA to replace it for cost savings(it was $105 at that time). It lasted the exact same 5yrs as the OEM unit. I bought my second LA battery last week(for $155 after rebate) :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is incorrect(but commonly said by mechanics and dealers). The E85/86 can take either LA or AGM batteries interchangeably with no programming needed. That being said, my OEM battery was AGM and I got a LA to replace it for cost savings(it was $105 at that time). It lasted the exact same 5yrs as the OEM unit. I bought my second LA battery last week(for $155 after rebate) :p
Thank you!! aGm, not AMG.. I had mercedes on the brain.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Thank you!! aGm, not AMG.. I had mercedes on the brain.
If you are at all mechanically inclined, the next time it dies just take your old battery to the parts store and get a replacement. It is very easy to do yourself. All you need to reprogram is the clock and auto up windows. It takes 60 seconds to get both reset.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[Wise-ass mode on]

Or, you could replace the battery every 4 years and avoid the joy of various special and entertaining Z4 electrical gremlins adding to your daily woes, and then be forced to buy an overpriced, lesser quality replacement and do the swap in the rain when the car finally refuses to crank (added for drama).

:)

Oh, yay, it's Friday!

·
Registered
59 Posts
[Wise-ass mode on]

Or, you could replace the battery every 4 years and avoid the joy of various special and entertaining Z4 electrical gremlins adding to your daily woes, and then be forced to buy an overpriced, lesser quality replacement and do the swap in the rain when the car finally refuses to crank (added for drama).

:)

Oh, yay, it's Friday!
that was brilliant.. lmfao.. TGIF!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts