BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 325xi and I think the battery has to be changed since I had to jump start it several times, it is the original battery and has never been changed. I know that on certain models like the 6 series the battery has to be programmed/registered to the cpu so that it knows it has a fully charged battery. Does the 3 series require the same or can I get any battery from autoparts store and change it myself? Has anyone changed their battery on their e90?

·
Oil Burners Rule!
1,350 Posts
I have a 2006 325xi and I think the battery has to be changed since I had to jump start it several times, it is the original battery and has never been changed. I know that on certain models like the 6 series the battery has to be programmed/registered to the cpu so that it knows it has a fully charged battery. Does the 3 series require the same or can I get any battery from autoparts store and change it myself? Has anyone changed their battery on their e90?
Everything I've read suggests that this also appilies to late model 3 Series although I'm not certain that it's true.Others knowing more will likely reply or,failing that,a call to a local dealer would be wise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, the new battery has to be registered. registration assures that the adaptive charging system does not over charge the new battery (the adaptive charging system is designed to change the charging rate based on the age of the battery). Ways that I know of to register the battery:

1. Have dealer install battery
2. Find someone with a Bavarian Technic scan tool, which allows for battery registration.

One could also not register the battery, which would likely shorten the battery life.

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
The battery should be registered with the car. I say should because there appears to be different thoughts whether not doing so reduces the life of the new battery. I just replaced the one in my 330xi and had my indy do it as he has the equipment to register the battery plus I didn't want to mess with it. It was about $200 for the battery and installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts