BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Build Date Jan 20. This should have the larger Battery correct? When fully charged Battery only showing 15 miles. Presumed it would be 18-20
or is this normal? Don’t want to look like a dummy and take it in to be checked lol
Trying to figure out how to drive this on an occasional long trip we make (App 180-200 mile round trip. ) Run battery down. Charge on the Go leave it that way charged or just let Battery Run Down Drive the Rest on Gas charge on other end if possible or charge when back home. Thx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Build Date Jan 20. This should have the larger Battery correct? When fully charged Battery only showing 15 miles. Presumed it would be 18-20
or is this normal? Don’t want to look like a dummy and take it in to be checked lol
Trying to figure out how to drive this on an occasional long trip we make (App 180-200 mile round trip. ) Run battery down. Charge on the Go leave it that way charged or just let Battery Run Down Drive the Rest on Gas charge on other end if possible or charge when back home. Thx
I couldn't find the data on a BMW site, but 35 or so miles it says here. Are you sure it's fully charged? You're not using the "occasional use" level 1 charger? That needs something like 12+ hours to charge.

I don't parse "charge on the go". I do know that on my X5 xDrive45e it charges so slowly it needs 4-5 hours to fill up from zero, so charging other than overnight is pretty useless. A faster charger doesn't help; it's the car. So I plug in at home every night, like a cell phone.

I personally don't sweat it on trips. Charge up at home, charge when convenient elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I have the smaller battery on my 530e (9.2 kWh). The estimate on my display varies regularly from 14-19. It DOESN'T MATTER. It is based on your historical driving style, the route if in the navigation system, the weather, etc.

After a full charge, set the odometer to "0" and see what you actually get before you run out of electrons and the ICE starts (BTW, you are not really running out of electrons; there is an adequate buffer in my experience for boost). Do that on several different trips. My prediction is that your actual distance won't vary much from trip to trip if the routes are similar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't find the data on a BMW site, but 35 or so miles it says here. Are you sure it's fully charged? You're not using the "occasional use" level 1 charger? That needs something like 12+ hours to charge.

I don't parse "charge on the go". I do know that on my X5 xDrive45e it charges so slowly it needs 4-5 hours to fill up from zero, so charging other than overnight is pretty useless. A faster charger doesn't help; it's the car. So I plug in at home every night, like a cell phone.

I personally don't sweat it on trips. Charge up at home, charge when convenient elsewhere.
Thanks yes Have it set on 100%

·
Steve
392 Posts
Have a 21 530e and usually it shows about 16 miles range. I've gone around and around with The BMW Genius and my SA and this is the way it is. AWD and driving style do affect range. I plug into a level 2 charger at home every night. When going on a long road trip I usually set the batter to maintain about a 30% charge to allow pre-conditioning. For the first approximately 10,000 miles my car says it's averaging a little over 45mpg. All in all, not bad.

Reactions: MikeD530E

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 21 530e and usually it shows about 16 miles range. I've gone around and around with The BMW Genius and my SA and this is the way it is. AWD and driving style do affect range. I plug into a level 2 charger at home every night. When going on a long road trip I usually set the batter to maintain about a 30% charge to allow pre-conditioning. For the first approximately 10,000 miles my car says it's averaging a little over 45mpg. All in all, not bad.
I am having the exact same thing happen. My 2022 530e is one month old. I have a level 2 charger at home, as well as a plug in Volvo which always charges up on the display to its 21 mile range. However, since taking my BMW home, I have never been able to get it to charge past 16 miles. Obviously I know that my actual performance on the road will vary, but it makes no sense to me that the full charge would not be up to 21. This week I had some time on my hands so I took it into the dealership and they charged it a couple times and reset the display. Apparently they were able to get it to 21. However, now back at home, I can't get it past 16. Seems pretty bogus, love the car otherwise, but I'm undecided whether to make more of a stink with the dealership. Of course I'm prepared for the "it's your fault, driving conditions, etc." speech.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I am having the exact same thing happen. My 2022 530e is one month old. I have a level 2 charger at home, as well as a plug in Volvo which always charges up on the display to its 21 mile range. However, since taking my BMW home, I have never been able to get it to charge past 16 miles. Obviously I know that my actual performance on the road will vary, but it makes no sense to me that the full charge would not be up to 21. This week I had some time on my hands so I took it into the dealership and they charged it a couple times and reset the display. Apparently they were able to get it to 21. However, now back at home, I can't get it past 16. Seems pretty bogus, love the car otherwise, but I'm undecided whether to make more of a stink with the dealership. Of course I'm prepared for the "it's your fault, driving conditions, etc." speech.
I am getting between 16-18 on my 2018 model with the smaller battery pack (I do have a brand new battery pack as mine was replaced in December as a warranty item). But then I don't get that much range when I actually drive the car (I get close going down hill on urban streets).

With the bigger battery pack you should do better. Is it garaged and charged in the garage? What is the temperature when you are driving? Are you using the heater?

Ultimately, as I have stated earlier, what matters is your actual range...not what your car says is the estimated range. Check that out on your odometer a few times. If your actual range is reasonable (one doesn't get EPA type range unless one drives very conservatively) forget about it. If your actual range is way down, then take it up with the dealership. It could be that the BMW algorithm for estimating range is better than the Volvo's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! The estimated range for your year and model is 17-18 miles. You should be getting approx. 17-18 miles estimated range after charging. Please note, if it is exceptionally hot and your car is in the garage for example, the a/c will turn on automatically to cool the battery while charging. Please note the a/c inside the car is not turned on, only the a/c to the battery will turn on. The a/c will automatically turn off when the battery is sufficiently cooled down. When this happens, it would could affect the estimated range and as a result you might get 17 miles instead of 18. Here are a couple of possible reasons why you are only getting 15 miles of estimated range after charging:
1) You might need the estimated range reset.
2) The KLE module could be bad.
I had a similar problem with my car and it was fixed after the dealership performed an HV battery capacity check. This reset the estimated range. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! I read your "grief" with the dealership. I just want you to know that if I were you I would go and make a "stink" with the dealership. Because I did. :) I had a similar problem where I was only getting 12 miles after the battery recall. I took my 2021 x330e to the dealership and the Service Advisor, Shop Foreman, BMW North America TSE told me the same thing. The dealership was able to supposedly charge it to 14 miles and let me know that it would just need to drive and it would "reset" itself. I asked them how long would this take and they couldn't give me an answer. I drove it for 4 months this way and nothing changed. Last month, my miles changed to 14, 16 twice and then back to 12 miles. I went back and forth with the dealership for 6 months on this. I refused their explanation because it didn't make sense. I did my own homework. Here are a couple of possible reasons why you are only getting 16 miles:
1) You might need the estimated range reset.
2) The KLE module could be bad.
I refused to back down. I insisted that my car should charge to 17-18 miles not 12 and that I would like it fixed. I let them know what I thought the reasons were and after many different tests it turned out that the estimated range needed to be reset. This was performed by an HV battery capacity check. That fixed the problem. I've heard all the variations of explanations regarding "driving conditions", "temperature", driving profile", "driving habits", etc. It just didn't make sense. Most of these explanations could make sense with regards to actual range as you're driving. Estimated range corresponds to wall charging. Don't back down! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! I took my car in for the same issue. I didn't back down with the SA, TSE and the Shop Foreman. I had my hv battery replaced per the recall. 3 cells out of the 6 were bad and were replaced. When I got my car back I immediately noticed that I was only getting 12 miles estimated range. I was told that this would increase in time and that there was nothing to fix. I would not take that as a final answer. No, not me. I emailed them, I called them many times, I called BMW of North America. Everyone was telling me the same thing. I let them know that it didn't make any sense. I consistently got 17-18 miles estimated range with my original battery and right after getting the replacement battery all of a sudden I was only getting 12 miles consistently. Why? After many calls, many emails, many texts and multiple visits to the dealership they finally took this seriously and addressed my concerns and thoughts of what the fix could be. I'm just a computer software nerd and not a repair mechanic but I am able to research and understand technical jargon and tried to look for possible fixes on the internet. I really shouldn't have had to do this. If the dealership tried to troubleshoot the issue further by themselves I could have had more time to relax. :cool: Anyway, to the point now... My car got fixed after they performed an HV battery capacity check. This reset the estimated range. The Shop Foreman let me know that he was going to update the TSE on this. Hmmm... It looks like they just learned something? I think the dealership thinks that if they tell us that's the way it is we might just listen, go away and live with it. I'm just not that type. :) Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The BMW estimates range based on your driving, weather, type of road, etc. My estimate varies regularly from 15-18.

On the other hand, a sudden and significant drop in the regular estimate is an indication that you might be having a battery problem. Toward the end of my fourth year of ownership I noticed that the estimate had dropped to a regular 11-13. I reported that when the car was in for maintenance and asked the dealership to check the batteries. They did, found a bad cell, and replaced the entire battery pack under warranty. After that my estimate went back up.

I have been told that dealerships don't like to test the battery packs because they have to remove them from the car to do the test. But if your estimates have consistently dropped by 4 0r so miles I would insist on a battery test.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The BMW estimates range based on your driving, weather, type of road, etc. My estimate varies regularly from 15-18.

On the other hand, a sudden and significant drop in the regular estimate is an indication that you might be having a battery problem. Toward the end of my fourth year of ownership I noticed that the estimate had dropped to a regular 11-13. I reported that when the car was in for maintenance and asked the dealership to check the batteries. They did, found a bad cell, and replaced the entire battery pack under warranty. After that my estimate went back up.

I have been told that dealerships don't like to test the battery packs because they have to remove them from the car to do the test. But if your estimates have consistently dropped by 4 0r so miles I would insist on a battery test.
Hello! Thanks for the confirmation.(y) I'm just glad my car is fixed and working properly now and glad yours is fixed as well. It's been a 6 month learning experience for me! Regarding dealerships testing the battery packs... I understand that it's not convenient and it's more work for the dealerships to test the battery packs especially when the car is still under warranty. Warranty work pays the dealer a lot less than service work. The dealership's reputation depends on customer satisfaction and they should be reminded of this. Also, if customers are satisfied with their warranty repairs they would most likely return to the dealership for service repairs in the future. Win win!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 530e with a build date of February 2020, with the larger battery. I use a Level 2 home charger. After charging my car fully, the display typically shows anywhere between 16 and 19 miles of charge available. However, my actual experience is different. Most of my driving consists of short trips on city streets, and I haven’t tried to check my actual charge on those trips due to the variations in location and driving conditions. However there is one trip that I regularly make without variation, which is 25 miles long (20 miles on the freeway, 5 miles on the city streets), and if I leave my home fully charged, when I arrive at my destination 25 miles later, the display always shows 4 miles of charge left. Overall, I believe that I am getting what the car was advertised to provide: 18 or 19 miles per charge, and I am fully satisfied. I personally wouldn’t stress out about what the display shows after charging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 530e with a build date of February 2020, with the larger battery. I use a Level 2 home charger. After charging my car fully, the display typically shows anywhere between 16 and 19 miles of charge available. However, my actual experience is different. Most of my driving consists of short trips on city streets, and I haven’t tried to check my actual charge on those trips due to the variations in location and driving conditions. However there is one trip that I regularly make without variation, which is 25 miles long (20 miles on the freeway, 5 miles on the city streets), and if I leave my home fully charged, when I arrive at my destination 25 miles later, the display always shows 4 miles of charge left. Overall, I believe that I am getting what the car was advertised to provide: 18 or 19 miles per charge, and I am fully satisfied. I personally wouldn’t stress out about what the display shows after charging.
can you kindly share what drive mode you use for the 25 mile long trip? I usually get more than posted on dashboard as I use hybrid mode for local drive and sport mode for hwy drive. As you may know, sport mode charges battery as driven.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts