Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize that lots of people use Carly, but I am looking for an alternative to Carly. One that will work on iOS (iPhone/iPad), macOS (Mac) or Windows 10 PC.

Want to be able to register a new battery, reset the computer after installing new brakes, etc...

I certainly don't mind buying an app, but I don't want to pay an annual fee. Your input is much appreciated!

·
Registered
324 Posts
You might want to take a look at BimmerLink, and BimmerCode. These run on IPhone. I’ve used both as well as Carly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to take a look at BimmerLink, and BimmerCode. These run on IPhone. I’ve used both as well as Carly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, thanx man! I looked up BimmeLink and spoke to the developer and it looks like that's the route I'm going. Thanx again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I realize that lots of people use Carly, but I am looking for an alternative to Carly. One that will work on iOS (iPhone/iPad), macOS (Mac) or Windows 10 PC.

Want to be able to register a new battery, reset the computer after installing new brakes, etc...

I certainly don't mind buying an app, but I don't want to pay an annual fee. Your input is much appreciated!
You can use bmw dealer tools like Rheingold/ISTA-D for free once you find them online.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,470 Posts
The ECU tracks a number of parameters of the battery to adjust the charging protocol to not damage the Absorbed Glass Mat battery. As the AGM ages and is used its allowable charging parameters change. Registration resets the histories.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ECU tracks a number of parameters of the battery to adjust the charging protocol to not damage the Absorbed Glass Mat battery. As the AGM ages and is used its allowable charging parameters change. Registration resets the histories.
I recommend to use carly for example

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why does one need to "register" a battery?
Because the ecu needs the new parameter of the battery, capacity, Number of loads, intensity, etc. In short it is advisable to guarantee the battery life and the ECU

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks guys, I never knew that! My car is now 4.5 years old and still on the original battery. not sure how long it will last but maybe I'll have to get the dealer to replace it given all the stuff you guys are talking about!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys, I never knew that! My car is now 4.5 years old and still on the original battery. not sure how long it will last but maybe I'll have to get the dealer to replace it given all the stuff you guys are talking about!
Hi,
It is easier to do it with the carly app.
Probably someone can help you.
Bwm shop is very expensive,about 300 $.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,470 Posts
The dealer’s computer can query your ECU indication of battery State of Health.

State of Health is a comparison of a battery parameter, or a few, from as installed (100%) to current, expressed as a percent. What the End of Life criterion may be, I do not know. Very often 80% capacity is an EoL criterion in critical applications.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Disconnecting the battery causes the engine and transmission ECU to remap parameters which sometimes helps with strange issues that crop up. What about re-registering a battery? Any thoughts on what that might do?

My thoughts are around the question of re-registering an older battery and possibility of getting "more" life out of it when it resets the parameters. I understand the reasoning of having to register a new battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Disconnecting the battery causes the engine and transmission ECU to remap parameters which sometimes helps with strange issues that crop up. What about re-registering a battery? Any thoughts on what that might do?
If you disconnect the battery it does not happen anything. The battery must be register only when you change it.
See this post

https://autoscope.co/cars/bmw-repair/why-register-new-bmw-battery/

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
What about re-registering a battery? Any thoughts on what that might do?
All that does is change the parameters used by the alternator for charging the battery. I wouldn't do it on an old battery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts