BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Great forum. 2010 650i. What's this battery registration about? Why can't I attach a jump box to the jump start terminals under the hood and do a battery swap of the same rating ? I know they're sensitive components on this car,but what's the difference between me running very low on voltage for the past few days, and feeding volts to the system while I disconnect for a couple minutes ?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Hello. Great forum. 2010 650i. What's this battery registration about? Why can't I attach a jump box to the jump start terminals under the hood and do a battery swap of the same rating ? I know they're sensitive components on this car,but what's the difference between me running very low on voltage for the past few days, and feeding volts to the system while I disconnect for a couple minutes ?
As the battery ages the computer changes the charge characteristics to get more out of the aging battery. If you don't do battery registration it will charge the new battery with the characteristics of an aged battery. So the new battery won't get enough charge.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,529 Posts
An AGM battery, new or old, will not get a full charge.

An AGM battery is damaged by ANY overcharge, so there is always ***8216;headroom***8217; left.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou ofcourse for your feedback and expertise. I've considered searching for someone capable of doing the register. Or maybe purchasing the proper tools needed to register it myself.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,529 Posts
New batteries are not maintained charged on the shelf awaiting sale. Buy a proper charger and bench charge it yourself before installation.

I use a CTEK 4.3 MUS

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Thankyou ofcourse for your feedback and expertise. I've considered searching for someone capable of doing the register. Or maybe purchasing the proper tools needed to register it myself.
You can do it yourself. Just get K+DCAN cable with INPA from Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
8,332 Posts
ISTA/D would be the best current software & cable combo to use. It will come with the newest INPA updates also.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
The IBS (intelligent battery sensor) is the reason it's not just a simple swap. It sends data to the DME over the car's communication bus...an the battery's state of charge is handled by this data that is being communicated to the DME as to how the alternator communicates with the battery.

As the battery ages...the way it is charged by the car's charging system is adjusted. If there is a major change in the battery's voltage (like hooking up jumper cables or battery charging cables directly to the battery)...this data bypasses the IBS, which will then interpret this drastic change as an issue...causing the DME and alternator to perhaps not charge the battery properly.

This is what happens if you replace the battery and not register it. It will continue to charge the new battery based on the data it was getting from the old battery and this could be incorrect...causing issues with the new battery. :(

Here's some info from the TIS that may be helpful in understanding the IBS:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a million for everyone's feedback. I have a better understanding now of the battery install/registration process. I will search for the proper tools needed for this project.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for this educational forum.
I purchased a replacement battery. Thankfully my coworker have a snap on scantool , with the Euro software included. We did the battery registration without any issues. We learned a valuable lesson thanks to the generous, unselfish people on this forum. Much appreciated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts