BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery safety terminal deployed
I have a 2006 x5 e53. My airbag went off and now the vehicle has no power at all. I have this super Duper option of a cargo floor in the back of this thing. I cannot get to the battery without sliding open this cargo floor. It completely covers the battery and spare tire. I figured out how to pull the ripcord that open the top half of the hatch but the lower tailgate portion, the owners manual is not very clear on how to open that without power. So I am asking if anybody has any experience with this how do I get the rear tailgate down without power? Or how many I introduce power back into the system safely so the button will open the tailgate?

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
The lower tailgate has two plastic panels (they are actually flaps that can be lifted) that appear to be a hard protective cover when the tailgate is folded down. The instructions in the owners manual is basically telling you to lift or remove the upper plastic panel...and below that you will see a latch that if pushed in the direction of the arrow...itwill manually release the lower tailgate:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you that was Perfect Information. The owners manual is not clear on that part. So I still have a problem. I put the battery cable back together and there is still no power to the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so after reading more there is a crash relay module somewhere something else that has tripped not allowing any power anywhere to the car? Where is this located?

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
OK so after reading more there is a crash relay module somewhere something else that has tripped not allowing any power anywhere to the car? Where is this located?
The old "crash"module has been incorporated into the LM/LCM. When the LM (light module) was introduced with the debut of the e38 back in 1995...the crash module (relay) was incorporated into the functions of the LM/LCM. (see attached info below)

If the BST deployed...just pushing the cable back in may not be enough. The explosive charge separated the B+ (positive cable) that runs from the engine bay. The smaller wire that comes off the BST runs to the high amp fuses to keep some electrical components functional (like the interior lights turn on, doors unlock, & emergency flashers etc come on in a crash to help passengers get out). Make sure that the battery cable is tightened properly to the battery posts as well as the smaller wire's connection. Perhaps one of these cables is loose as to why you're not getting ANY power at all...even to the interior functions of the car.

There have been threads about less expensive repairs of the BST...you may be able to find them doing a google search)...but again, if the BST deployed...pushing the cable back in may not be enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After all that would you believe the battery was completely dead. This was a brand new battery literally a week before this crash I charged the battery and it started fine. The battery was really low when I first started it and all the warning lights came on and now the dashboard says The transmission is in limp mode failsafe As well as the 4 x 4 yellow triangle is lit on the dashboard and also the airbag light is on ( The airbag did deploy.) I have not tried to drive it yet. Is there a way to reset the transmission out of fail safe? If in fact the transmission even is in failsafe? It***8217;s funny because when the battery was bad last week I had it replaced and that***8217;s what it did it said the transmission went in the fail safe. So I thought the transmission was having a problem I had it towed to my BMW mechanic and he said it just needed a new battery. I don***8217;t know if he reset the transmission or the computer or what? what do I need to do to reset the airbag light? Does it have to go to the dealer or my bmw mechanic to clear the computer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It appears that pushing the cable back together tightly will be enough until I get a new BST. After charging the battery , The car seems to start fine and everything seems to be working. Well everything except the dashboard says the transmission is in failsafe and the 4 x 4 light is on. As I mentioned when the battery was low last week that was the symptom the dashboard said the transmission was in fail safe and the 4 x 4 light was on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts