BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Really need help. My 2006 325. Battery and Power Distribution Unit were stolen. Worse the cut the wires.
I have bought a new unit. Can anyone tell me where each of these 6 thin wire connect. Been search everywhere with no luck.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
Insurance?

Wont impact you accident history and probably $2500 if you stick with a new harness. Take the cash.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,637 Posts
... 2006 325. Battery and Power Distribution Unit were stolen. Worse they cut the wires. I have bought a new unit. Can anyone tell me where each of these 6 thin wire connect. Been search everywhere with no luck.
Welcome to the Forum!
Sorry your first post couldn't be under better circumstances. I'll provide my identification of the wires below, but first some observations regarding proper fix at least cost.

Do you have Comprehensive coverage, and if so WHAT is your deductible? Have you reported claim to your auto insurer? Comprehensive is "No-Fault" coverage, and making a claim, particularly one arising from car being parked at principal place of garaging (your driveway) CANNOT Raise your Rates. Deductible WILL apply.

In addition to reporting the "Break-in" to your auto insurer, I hope you have also reported it to local police, as even if it's too late to check for prints or other investigative measures, if there is a pattern of similar crimes in that jurisdiction, one more data-point MAY help.

I'll identify ALL the cut Cables and missing/Un-shown items. First think of the small cut wires as 3 pairs of wires, with EACH of the two wires in a "Pair" as being related by component or function:
1) To properly repair that medium-diameter Red B+ cable that runs inside the car (upward & forward) to the JB Fuse Panel will be the hardest part. You will have to either run a completely NEW Cable from the JB to the RPDP, or splice the cut cable to a short cable with correct Eyelet connector for the 13mm nut stud on inboard fitting on RPDP.
2) You also will need the BST (Battery Safety Terminal) LARGE B+ Cable and BST itself, and BST Trigger wire connector the twisted pair Blue wire & Brown wire from MRS connects to. That twisted pair is almost certainly the BST Trigger wires from the MRS Module.
3) New Small Connector Cable including connectors, running from RPDP (Rear Power Distribution Panel) on top of battery to Inboard Transfer Point by Battery Vent Tube.
4) The larger gauge Red wire, and separate Blue wire, are almost certainly UNUSED wires that were ONLY used during transport of vehicle from Germany.
5) The remaining two wires are related to the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor). Your photo does NOT show the IBS or the Negative Battery Terminal and Ground Cable. I presume the Vandals/Thieves/Low-lifes stole or damaged each of those as well.
The Red/Green wire is the KL15 Wakeup wire from the CAS to the IBS, and the Gray wire is the BSD (Bit-Serial Data) Interface "Bus" wire between IBS & DME.

Hope that helps, and anyone with a 325i who has different understanding of the wiring, please offer your knowledge. Please let me know if you need any ISTA diagrams showing location, wire color & gauge, etc. Really hope you can get Comprehensive Coverage to pay for most of damage, and for future reference, you are probably better off with NO Collision coverage but low-deductible comprehensive. Less premium cost that way, and things such as deer strikes are often covered by comprehensive. See State Code in your State, as auto insurance coverages are regulated/mandated by State Law. See general Large B+ Cable identification in attached ScreenPrints from BMW TM E90 Voltage Supply.

Finally, I would be concerned if someone got into your locked vehicle parked in your driveway, with NO obvious sign of forced entry. If you recently acquired the vehicle, I would be concerned about the seller having retained a key or other method of entry, particularly if former owner is in your area. If WHOEVER did that gets away with the first theft, quite likely will return. Motion-activated floodlights are NOT expensive. If you have a Router in your home, a surveillance Camera might be a better means of protection of your property.
George

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Output device Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire Television

·
Registered
188 Posts
FWIW. I knew a shady guy back in the 70s who once told me that he could easily find a car with a new battery to steal. It's the same car that he stole the battery from the week before. Take care.

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
Was parked in driveway
I love my garage(s). We have three cars and a 1.75-car garage. Two fit in the garage, and I rent a storage shed for the third one. Good fences make good neighbors, but garages even more so. I currently pay $1700/year to garage a fourteen year old Chevy Cobalt worth about $2500. ... money well spent.

Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
188 Posts
If WHOEVER did that gets away with the first theft, quite likely will return. Motion-activated floodlights are NOT expensive. If you have a Router in your home, a surveillance Camera might be a better means of protection of your property.
George
Along these same lines we have a dacha in the woods and use game cameras for security. The initial flash scares off would be theives and we've had none of the cameras stolen. It's a quick, and depending on the model of the camera, cheap solution to security.

·
Registered
12,264 Posts
Because of my cramped 1.75-car garage, I have to pull my cars out to check the tire pressures. My garage is also a furnace in the summer. So, I pull the car outside at about 4 a.m. when I'm up for a piss. Between then and 6 a.m. or 7 a.m. the car and air in the tires cools down to the morning low temperature. I then check and adjust the pressures before before sunlight hits the tires and heats them.

I had to hurry up and finish checking the tires this morning, because the Bubbaville Beach Mosquito Control District sprayer truck was making the rounds here in Bubba Estates. You really don't want to breathe in what that truck's spraying. The 'skeeter control district is an independent gooberment entity, separate from the city and county, with it's director and commissioners elected. If we get bit by 'skeeters, we vote the bums out.

Our new house will have four feet between the three cars inside the garage. So, I'll be able to check my tire pressures every two or three weeks without having to pull the cars outside... life's simple pleasures!

After 24 days and 350 miles, I had to put between a half and three quarters of a PSI in the tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the Forum!
Sorry your first post couldn't be under better circumstances. I'll provide my identification of the wires below, but first some observations regarding proper fix at least cost.

Do you have Comprehensive coverage, and if so WHAT is your deductible? Have you reported claim to your auto insurer? Comprehensive is "No-Fault" coverage, and making a claim, particularly one arising from car being parked at principal place of garaging (your driveway) CANNOT Raise your Rates. Deductible WILL apply.

In addition to reporting the "Break-in" to your auto insurer, I hope you have also reported it to local police, as even if it's too late to check for prints or other investigative measures, if there is a pattern of similar crimes in that jurisdiction, one more data-point MAY help.

I'll identify ALL the cut Cables and missing/Un-shown items. First think of the small cut wires as 3 pairs of wires, with EACH of the two wires in a "Pair" as being related by component or function:
1) To properly repair that medium-diameter Red B+ cable that runs inside the car (upward & forward) to the JB Fuse Panel will be the hardest part. You will have to either run a completely NEW Cable from the JB to the RPDP, or splice the cut cable to a short cable with correct Eyelet connector for the 13mm nut stud on inboard fitting on RPDP.
2) You also will need the BST (Battery Safety Terminal) LARGE B+ Cable and BST itself, and BST Trigger wire connector the twisted pair Blue wire & Brown wire from MRS connects to. That twisted pair is almost certainly the BST Trigger wires from the MRS Module.
3) New Small Connector Cable including connectors, running from RPDP (Rear Power Distribution Panel) on top of battery to Inboard Transfer Point by Battery Vent Tube.
4) The larger gauge Red wire, and separate Blue wire, are almost certainly UNUSED wires that were ONLY used during transport of vehicle from Germany.
5) The remaining two wires are related to the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor). Your photo does NOT show the IBS or the Negative Battery Terminal and Ground Cable. I presume the Vandals/Thieves/Low-lifes stole or damaged each of those as well.
The Red/Green wire is the KL15 Wakeup wire from the CAS to the IBS, and the Gray wire is the BSD (Bit-Serial Data) Interface "Bus" wire between IBS & DME.

Hope that helps, and anyone with a 325i who has different understanding of the wiring, please offer your knowledge. Please let me know if you need any ISTA diagrams showing location, wire color & gauge, etc. Really hope you can get Comprehensive Coverage to pay for most of damage, and for future reference, you are probably better off with NO Collision coverage but low-deductible comprehensive. Less premium cost that way, and things such as deer strikes are often covered by comprehensive. See State Code in your State, as auto insurance coverages are regulated/mandated by State Law. See general Large B+ Cable identification in attached ScreenPrints from BMW TM E90 Voltage Supply.

Finally, I would be concerned if someone got into your locked vehicle parked in your driveway, with NO obvious sign of forced entry. If you recently acquired the vehicle, I would be concerned about the seller having retained a key or other method of entry, particularly if former owner is in your area. If WHOEVER did that gets away with the first theft, quite likely will return. Motion-activated floodlights are NOT expensive. If you have a Router in your home, a surveillance Camera might be a better means of protection of your property.
George

View attachment 1037381 View attachment 1037382
Gbalthrop. Thanks for identifying the wires. My car and homeowners deductible is quite high. So I will attempt the repair with the great information you provided.
It does have me thinking now. I did recently acquire the car and have only one key.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
Gbalthrop. Thanks for identifying the wires. My car and homeowners deductible is quite high. So I will attempt the repair with the great information you provided.
It does have me thinking now. I did recently acquire the car and have only one key.
A lower COMPREHENSIVE deductible is not that much, look into it.

GL w the repairs. And get a second key, delete the one you dont have!

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,637 Posts
Good Work!!
Did you Replace the ENTIRE B+ Cable from the RPDP to the JB, or did you splice it, above the battery?
George

1 - 16 of 16 Posts