BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, Little problem here.Car is 2006 E60 525xi

Parked my car like normal last night and it was all normal.No errors nothing.Today wife went to start the car and it was completely dead.No alarm,no door unlocking,no lights,nothing.

Got in the car using key and tried to turn on the ignition,nothing,like battery is not present.

Hooked up high amp power supply to diagnose and car came into life.Scanned with ISTA.Found lots of codes.Likely due to low voltage.Cleared all the codes but one code is coming back.
DME 2E8E BSD message,IBS sensor missing. and according to the history of code,it looks like it happened 6 kms ago yesterday

Went into the trunk and found moisture on the top of battery and little water by the bottom of battery.Charged the battery and it started.No issues.Cleared the code and it came back again.So looks like moisture killed my IBS:cry:
So for now i disconnected the power cable to the IBS that goes from the +ve terminal to the IBS so that IBS won't discharge my battery again(hopefully and will see tomorrow morning).Will need to get new or used IBS sensor soon:cry:.

I found the traces of water coming from the underneath of fuse box which is on the top side of the battery.Do you guys think it could be blocked sunroof drains?It has been raining heavy from the last few days.Is it a common issue of water leakage on the top of battery?Please suggest.Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Car started fine this morning after leaving IBS disconnected overnight.So it means it was the IBS that was keeping DME awake all the time and running down the battery.

I read somewhere that only ill effect of leaving IBS disconnected is that car is going to charge the battery in default mode which is 14.2V flat rather than battery,temp and state of charge specific charging profile.I am going to get the new sensor soon.

Also will have to find and solve the water problem too.

·
Benz S211 Convert
490 Posts
Sounds like clogged sunroof drains. Use forum search for the sedan. I seem to recall it is similar to the wagon. In essence, find the hoses in the corners of the car, pull up, cut off the valve portion on the end and reinstall. Make sure you have no water in the spare wheel well. I assume the 525 has a few electronics modules there, too. If so, relocate them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds like clogged sunroof drains. Use forum search for the sedan. I seem to recall it is similar to the wagon. In essence, find the hoses in the corners of the car, pull up, cut off the valve portion on the end and reinstall. Make sure you have no water in the spare wheel well. I assume the 525 has a few electronics modules there, too. If so, relocate them.
Thanks for the reply.Actually my spare wheel area was completely dry.Water was only present on passenger side by the battery.I am going to clean the drains as HF described in this thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7539540&postcount=7

·
Benz S211 Convert
490 Posts
Yeah, better than listening to my babble. For lack of D pillars, the sedan does not have hoses in the rear corners, of course. :rolleyes:

·
Benz S211 Convert
490 Posts
I am glad to hear my post put you on the right track, even though the specific description did not apply.

What I don't recall is whether or not it is advisable to remove those cross shaped valve contraptions in the sedan. The rear drains in the wagon end in a location where you would not expect a lot of water to be able to enter the hose. And even if, there is NO WAY even a single droplet could possibly travel all the way up to the sunroof. So the valves really have no other function than trapping crap and causing havoc. If I understand correctly, the drains in the sedan end in a similarly protected location behind the fender liners, and the valves serve no real purpose either. Is that so?

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
yes thats correct my valves were clogged and i had to clean them up, luckily got to them before winter really started. water on the battery can be caused by a couple things. I'm pretty sure the rear light is might let in water. i'd take of the rear light and clean the foam gasket and make sure its on tight as water from the light would drip right ton the battery. also the trunk seal is also a weak point and can let in water. I'd get some flour and cover the seals with it. then get a pressure washer and see if water can get in there (dont really need to put the pressure on the seals directly, as that will probably let in water even if your seals were fine)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Update: Car started fine this morning after leaving IBS disconnected overnight.So it means it was the IBS that was keeping DME awake all the time and running down the battery.

I read somewhere that only ill effect of leaving IBS disconnected is that car is going to charge the battery in default mode which is 14.2V flat rather than battery,temp and state of charge specific charging profile.I am going to get the new sensor soon.
Yep - same issue with my 2006 wagon. Water from sunroof drooled all over the fuse panel/IBS/battery area, though fortunately not enough collected at the spare tire to hurt those modules.

Replacing the IBS in an older car takes some adapter cables, because the original design has been superceded a few times and they changed connectors each time. Even buying parts online, it still cost me $280 last month for the IBS and two adapter cables for my 2006. Labor is 15 minutes though, easy driveway job.

I can look up the part numbers later tonight - it took an hour or two of research to find what cables were required, not all webstores have it right.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Last night went to my local car recycler and found they had four 5 series.First 3 of them were sedans with trunk lid open and IBSs were submerged in water.But the last one was wagon with rear hatch closed and it was dry.The only difference i found on IBS cable from wagon is that angle on the clamp that attaches to the body is little different but no big deal.Got it for $30 because i think the guy just assumed it as a normal battery cable.I wanted to get the newer design/version of IBS as toga94m was saying because newer designed IBS looks water resistant but for $30 can't complain.

Installed it last night and ran a test plan on ISTA to check the communication between DME and IBS and it seemed okay.I then put battery on a CTEK smart charger overnight and in the morning it was still not fully charged.Probably because battery went total dead and needed lots of mAh back to get to the full charge level.

Now i am going to remove the rear wheels and will inspect sunroof drains.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
I cleaned the sunroof drains.Ends on the both sides of drains were plugged.So hopefully no more water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts