BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an e39 on a V plate, how do I find out if the battery is Lead acid. Reason being, I have bought one of these, (12v Solar Panel Trickle Car Boat Battery Charger) as my car wasn't being used to often, result ing battery needing a jump regularly.To keep things a lot safer, possibly I need a charge controller. The vendor has asked details of the battery.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Not enuf info. Is the battery OEM? If not, what brand? 99.9% of auto batteries are lead acid. You might find an occasional gel battery in an e39 but not many. Check the label.

·
Bimmerholic
1,788 Posts
I have an e39 on a V plate, how do I find out if the battery is Lead acid. Reason being, I have bought one of these, (12v Solar Panel Trickle Car Boat Battery Charger) as my car wasn't being used to often, result ing battery needing a jump regularly.To keep things a lot safer, possibly I need a charge controller. The vendor has asked details of the battery.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Problem solved, unless you need the alarm to function or something.

·
Registered
15,644 Posts
Yes, you do need a charge controller that will "float" the battery. This prevents overcharging. You'll need at least 50-75 watts to keep the battery up.

Look at the battery. You s/b able to determine what it is from the product markings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you do need a charge controller that will "float" the battery. This prevents overcharging. You'll need at least 50-75 watts to keep the battery up.

Look at the battery. You s/b able to determine what it is from the product markings.
I can't see anything unless I disconnect and lift it out. On the top it is just numbers relating to the voltage.

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
25,199 Posts
I am not to sure going by your reply, that I am causing a problem! Possibly a different slant on the use of language, as I am in Glagow, Scotland.
I'm confused by what you're asking so I will re-iterate what my point was, and I'll explain further (even though this is OT to the original thread, I am courteously responding to your quote above).

Here's the problem:
Over time, perhaps hundreds and maybe thousands of people click on your link (I have some links with over 30,000 views, for example) because it says "Battery" whereas only a few have an answer for you so you're (unintentionally of course) wasting a lot of people's time.

If you had said something descriptive like:
"How do I know if I have a lead-acid or gel battery?"
Or
"What type of trickle charger should I get for my BMW battery?"
Then only the people with information for you would spend their valuable time trying to help you (as the others can't help).

Therefore, I had only one point to help you:
It's more courteous to use your own first words as the title so people have a better idea what your thread is about. That's it.

For example, I can give you scores of links about "Battery" but that wouldn't be what you need. You wasted, for example, 'my' valuable time, with your thread title as I have nothing to add but I had to open it up and read it to find out.

You could have prevented that for me (and many others) simply with a more descriptive title. That's all I'm saying.

I'm just trying to just give you a 'friendly' heads up that descriptive titles are a courtesy to the reader (like turn signals, they're not for you ... they're for us).

I practice what I preach.

Here are some real-life examples of descriptive titles.

Here are some real-life examples of recent non-descriptive titles:

Sorry for the long-winded response. I am just being courteous to you by fully responding to your reply. No need to respond further as this is OT to the main discussion (which is why my initial comment was only a few short succinct lines).

·
25,199 Posts
On the top it is just numbers relating to the voltage.
Dunno if it helps, but in this thread, you'll see a bunch of battery pictures:
- DIY how to test a BMW E39 battery & alternator

For example, this is what the top of my BMW battery looks like (ignore the shorted cables - that's for a reset procedure). :)

And, you'll see lots more E39 battery pictures in these threads:
- What battery (1) & what battery maintenance (1) & battery electrolyte (1) & battery replacement DIY (1) (2) (3) & how NOT to change the battery (1) (2) (3)

Maybe you can snap a photograph of your battery for us to comment upon?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FAO. Bluebee.

The information you have given me in your reply, I find most helpful indeed. I will try and use it for my benefit and the benefit of others. I do understand now what you mean, regarding more descriptive title details, time factor, help, etc.Thanks for your time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts