BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got Bavarian Autosport's spring flyer in the mail. On page 7, there is a column advertising LubroMoly's 5w-30 oil, and specifically stating that it meets BMW LL-01 specification:

Lubro Moly 5W-30 has earned BMW's "Long-life-01" approval. Mobil 1 5W-30 doesn't have that approval. Nor do many other heavily-advertised brands. It may also surprise you to learn that the "synthetic" 5W-30 oil BMW sells in North America (a Castrol product) is classified as a Group III hydrocracked oil, which means it's a highly refined petroleum with no synthetic molecules. As such, it cannot be called a synthetic oil in Europe. (Do you think it would qualify for BMW's Longlife-01 approval?)

Some notes:

-My 09/03 vintage TIS doesn't list this oil, but checking LiquiMoly's German site, it does in fact show LL-01 (among other) approval.
-Mobil1 5w30 doesn't meet LL-01 (only LL98) but 0w40 does.
-US-made Castrol Syntec grades are Group III Hydrocracked products (Castrol got taken to court by Mobil over this), and none are listed as meeting LL-01. The German-made 0w-30 Syntec on US shelves is LL-01.
(the two aforementioned oils ARE listed in my TIS)
-According to a chart from Motul (who makes a LL-01 specific oil), BMW's LL-01 spec specifies the following: (I'm sure this isn't a complete spec)
SAE viscosity grades: 0W30/40, 5w30/40
ACEA Level: A3/B3/B4
Designated Base Oil: Chemical Synthetic Oil

:dunno:

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Kaz said:
-My 09/03 vintage TIS doesn't list this oil, but checking LiquiMoly's German site, it does in fact show LL-01 (among other) approval.
I have a newer TIS, but it says "From January 2004, the list of expressly approved special oils will no longer be updated." I did discover that you can buy the BMW oil by the tank truck load, though - part # 83 21 0 144 459.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bav Auto is implying that since Castrol makes both US Syntec and BMW oil, the BMW oil must not be a full synthetic since the US Syntec is not. They're assuming its the same oil, just rebranded. Sounds like faulty logic to me.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AG said:
Bav Auto is implying that since Castrol makes both US Syntec and BMW oil, the BMW oil must not be a full synthetic since the US Syntec is not. They're assuming its the same oil, just rebranded. Sounds like faulty logic to me.
Hmm, I don't see that implication at all unless you fill in some blanks with your own assumptions.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Well, if BMW oil is not LL01 acceptable, what are dealers putting into cars? If they are putting this oil in, you have a great case that you did in fact use the correct oil. :)

The whole hydro craked versus made up from small molecules is a bogus marketing deal. A petroleum engineer I know points out that the hydrocracked process can actually make "better" lubricant molecules than the synthesize from small molecules approach.

To me a synthetic oil is one engineered to contain many specific molecules that are not found in nature in those ratios. I don't care how they got there. The end result is what is important, not necessarily the process to get there. Overall both processes take molecuels from nature and modify them to be what the engineers want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts