BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
kimer12345
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 3 has the standard sound system... is this speaker upgrade worth it?... What kind of difference should I expect? (if I don't also get the bavsound subwoofers).

And what about if I *just* get the subwoofers they offer, instead?...

Just want a decent bang for buck improvement on the sound, something easy and not crazy $$.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Yes, upgrade is really significant. :thumbup:

My 2013 3 has the standard sound system... is this speaker upgrade worth it?... What kind of difference should I expect? (if I don't also get the bavsound subwoofers).

Just want a decent bang for buck improvement on the sound, something easy and not crazy $$.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
498 Posts

Thanks!!
The Bavsound speakers do make the listening experience *a lot* better. What it really delivers is clearer highs and mids, and eliminates the tinny-ness of the hifi tweeters.

What it doesn't do is make the system louder or more powerful (obviously), but I find myself listening at higher volumes than before I did the upgrade, just because the sound is so much improved. The bavsound speakers also improve mid-bass, but the bass tones are still a bit muddled because of the lousy stock woofers.

Overall, its a big improvement, and if you decide you want more power you can also upgrade to the Bimmertech amp.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So you'd do the amp upgrade before subwoofers?...
Personally, yes. Consensus around here seems to be that the Bavsound Ghost subs need a lot of power to be properly appreciated, at least more than the stock hifi amp delivers. (disclaimer: i own neither the ghosts or the amp)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Definitely worth it! I started with the Stage 1, then thought, damn if these sound these good, then I better get the Ghost and amp, which I did a week after. But if it's not economical, then just the Stage 1 sounds great with the stock amp. Bavsound is currently offering discounts on open boxes and there is probably a group buy thread somewhere around here or other forums.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have been very pleased with the upgrade. When you compare the BAVSOUND with the ones you are removing, even before you hear them, you will know you made the right choice. Quality of materials is that much better.
Don't forget the tool kit. You will need it and it is just as high quality.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anyone know estimated cost for an install? I'm sure I could do the subs myself, but I'm wary to take door panels off myself.
I want to say I paid about $260 for the Stage 1 install. Yeah I didn't want to risk breaking anything off with the door panel. The Ghost subs and amp I did myself.

·
kimer12345
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For what it's worth.... It wasn't hard at all to take the panels off. Once you do one, others go quickly.

·
Registered
320 Posts
In my experience with Stage 1 in my X5 and then in this 320 the improvement was noticeable but adding the subs to Stage 1 is where it all came together in both vehicles. I'm fairly handy and therefore the process to install wasn't awful. The first door panel I took my time but once I saw the process then the rest were a cinch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Today I got a quote of $978 from a Bavsound dealer in Tampa, FL (stage one, all speakers + sound deadening + installation). Speakers + sound deadening are priced at $526 on the Bavsound website but I would have to look for someone willing to install it. Does the Tampa all in quote look to expensive? DYI is not an option for me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Today I got a quote of $978 from a Bavsound dealer in Tampa, FL (stage one, all speakers + sound deadening + installation). Speakers + sound deadening are priced at $526 on the Bavsound website but I would have to look for someone willing to install it. Does the Tampa all in quote look to expensive? DYI is not an option for me.
That install quote does sound really high. Its about 4hr of work for a total amateur (like me) so a professional installer should be able to go much faster. I'd look for someone who can install in the $200 range...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bavsound Stage One and Ghost underseat subwoofers

In response to OP, yes ABSOLUTELY worth upgrading the speakers. I went with BAVSOUND stage One and their Ghost Subwoofers (thanks Megan) and I was blown away by the sound quality.

My wife has the HK system in her 2016 X1 and I love the system (too bad she listens to satellite radio unless I can hijack the input and play Spotify at 320 kbps:)). Anyway, I believe that my system now sounds better than her HK system.

Nevertheless, I now realize that the stock hifi amp is limiting the upgraded speaker system potential in my 328i, so I'm having the Bimmertech PP 82DSP installed on Friday.

I'm going to have Fred at All German Auto in Escondido, CA do the install as he has a good plan for the initial tune and subsequent adjustments with the upgraded speaker/amp setup.

I can't wait to hear the complete upgrade once the amp in installed.

If you're thinking about upgrading the speakers, your ears are telling you they're not happy with what you have now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts