BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 535i X-Drive M package
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every1,
another noob that’s in love with this amazing ‘10 535i X-Drive M-Sport E60, but just can’t seem to find any peace of mind from the problems I keep encountering left and right lol.. so I got insta-p installed and the first thing it tries to do right away after I connect to my car, is do an insane amount of “re-writes” (I assume that’s what most of it is?) and a long a** list of “changes” that all comes down to OVER 6 hours long as the overall ETA for the job(S)???
it’s a long LONG list lol, but I’ve attached all the screenshots for it if any1 wants to be solid enough to help me understand it all/or maybe just some of it lol? I chickened out of course and cancelled it, but if any1 knows what it all is, then I’ll def proceed with it(if that’s the recommendation Lool)..
now keep in mind, I messed around with a lot of the coding using ProTools to try and code Enhanced Bluetooth and might of messed up several little things along the way, including a few of the VO “raw coding” which I’m hoping I reverted back to original though.. any1 that has the patience and brains to help me out a little, I’d really really appreciate it
I’m a quick learned so I’ll learn this stuff super fast eventually :$ thank u in advance !!!

* Few more screenshots on next post since it won’t let me upload more than ten at once :/ **

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should mention that I’m using a K-DCAN cable unfortunately:( so I’m reading around and it’s apparently a no-no to run ISTA-P with this cable.. so ppl recommend using the program WinKFP with it instead? I would buy the ICOM cable man but it’s kinda hard when I need to drop so much money right now on my injectors, spark plugs AND coils to be replaced + a new OEM water pump + new oil change.. so spending a few hundred on just a cable right now is not really an option :( any help or advice right now would be much appreciated lol thanks every1 :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are your goals with ISTA P? Are the programs in the BMW Standard Tools download not sufficient?
I have a lot of issues right now with the car so thought maybe it all goes back to me altering codes and the VO and could have accidentally messed sh*t up so ista-p wants to restore /update all my modules/codes and my VO.. never touched the bmw standard tools though so couldn’t tell u much when it comes to that? When I had ISTA+ before P, it had the bmw stand. tools I think.. but ista-P didn’t come with that I dont think? However, I’m being told to use WinKFP instead of ISTA-P, due to the fact I’m using a K-DCAN cable.. :/ little lost tbh lol

·
Premium Member
2001 325i sedan 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
641 Posts
WinKFP will be quite a bit more complex but certainly doable. ISTA/P is the more official route. You could try default coding your modules with a blank fsw_psw file in NCS expert perhaps.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
Why is it people think these things are Windows machines? When it doubt reboot, reload, update.....

I can go years without 'needing' to reprogram my cars.

You have a power supply to provide 60A of power for those 6 hrs?!? Or think the battery should do fine?

GL!

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,012 Posts
Why is it people think these things are Windows machines? When it doubt reboot, reload, update.....

I can go years without 'needing' to reprogram my cars.

You have a power supply to provide 60A of power for those 6 hrs?!? Or think the battery should do fine?

GL!
THIS ⬆

Unless you have a real good reason for updating something on the car, just leave it alone. "real good reason" means something is broken or you need some functionality offered in a newer version.

·
Registered
2008 535xiT
45 Posts
It all goes back to me altering codes and the VO and could have accidentally messed sh*t up
Ahh. I missed that you had already gone down the dark path of coding.

Don't mind curmudgeon. Half the fun of these cars is breaking them and figuring out how to fix what you've done. (as long as it's not your daily driver)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts

·
Under the lift arms
13,257 Posts
Ive never had to reprogram my car, other then wanting to change some options,

If you have to ask what why and how, then you should not be messing with the ROM of your car,

your going to brick your car dude

This is kinda of why i wish someone of you guys would just use a regular scanner, I dont think the admin status tools are necessary for many of you

Reactions: ard

·
Registered
578 Posts
There is a dedicated coding section if you look on the list of all sub forums.
Maybe try asking there for advice. I agree that coding is not something you just do for fun, but I also think that to many people have been scared off by BMW. The biggest issue is the extremely old fashioned modem like interface that exists on the E60 series. Coding, that is any coding at 1200 bps is sloooowwwww and on top of that the system is very sensitive to any kind of errors as there is as far as I am aware no CRC checking on the data.
Later models have an IP based system that does all that and at much higher speeds.
That is why coding can take a full day on an E60.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for everyone’s advice. I ended up using WinKFP as best as I could.. and did only 2-3 updates with Ista-P.. I shoulda mentioned that I’m a rookie to this ya, but I def understand coding and similar languages and what not.. Anywhoo.. thanks for all the replies(even IF some of those replies are completely unnecessary when I just wanted some insight.. didn’t want to hear about how I shouldn’t touch this stuff when I clearly was going to regardless lmao.. thanks tho) enjoy ur weekend guys!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts