Bimmerfest BMW banner

901 - 919 of 919 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Beginners guide to ISTA+

Thanks to all who made this comprehensive guide available. I have a couple of questions: Do i need the 70 amp power supply if im only doing diagnostics and coding? Or, is my 10 amp battery charger sufficient?
Regarding the cables i need to buy, is there one cable that will handle diagnostics and coding. Im still a little fuzzy on the different cables. Car is F12. Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks to all who made this comprehensive guide available. I have a couple of questions: Do i need the 70 amp power supply if im only doing diagnostics and coding? Or, is my 10 amp battery charger sufficient?
Regarding the cables i need to buy, is there one cable that will handle diagnostics and coding. Im still a little fuzzy on the different cables. Car is F12. Thanks
The 70 amp power supply is only needed for flashing (programing) to update modules.
Ethernet to OBD II cable for diagnostics and coding.
If battery is healthy, short coding or diagnostic sessions are fine though you can connect a charger to play it safe.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Anyone able to help? ISTA 4.24.13 with ENET - getting this annoying "Unknown terminal voltage" error - how to avoid/patch it?
I'd like to know this too. I don't remember getting so many of these errors with the older version of ISTA+. I assume it's looking for the ICOM interface for voltage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 70 amp power supply is only needed for flashing (programing) to update modules.
Ethernet to OBD II cable for diagnostics and coding.
If battery is healthy, short coding or diagnostic sessions are fine though you can connect a charger to play it safe.
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how "ethernet to obd2" translates to the common names for various cables; ie ICOM, K-DCAN, etc?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how "ethernet to obd2" translates to the common names for various cables; ie ICOM, K-DCAN, etc?
There's nothing to translate, you need a "ethernet to obd2" cable for a BMW :dunno:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Connection problem with E70

Hi all,
Does anybody can help to restore connection with E70?

I have ISTA+ for few years. Up to today works great.:thumbup: I used it with F10, F30 and E70. Just change cable and interface set up. Today, I tried to check fault code on my X5 E70 and got a message that can't establish connection.:cry:
I tried 2 cables, got same result. :banghead:

Looks like problem with ini file or something else.

But when I tried to connect with F series - no problem. Works perfectly.

Could somebody provide an advice how to restore connection with E series EDIABAS interface, PLEASE.

:beerchug:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
HELP: ENET ISTA connection to car

Hi all,

I have installed ISTA+ using the very nice guide found here, and I have no issues opening the program and browsing around.
However, trying to connect to the car with my ENET cable, I get the following screen:

I have tried using both direct connection with empty IP, and LAN ISIS network. Same error.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check your ediabas settings mate. Make sure the ediabas.ini is set to enet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
C:\EDIABAS\BIN\EDIABAS.INI
and
C:\BMW\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN\EDIABAS.INI

should have this line in it
Interface = ENET

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello
are the psdz data files not included?

when starting I get error "The programming system could not be initialized. The Ista installation might be damaged....'

I check rheingold/psdz/

and files appear to be missing? Im using icom and i have psdzlite on another folder for esys but not sure if it will work with if I copy and paste to the rheingold directory

·
Registered
1 Posts
cant find files

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble following the steps in the pdf guide.

The files referenced such as "Prerequisites" or "VC-Redist.x64" aren't in the Megaupload.

Have I missed something? I've looked everywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello
are the psdz data files not included?

when starting I get error "The programming system could not be initialized. The Ista installation might be damaged....'

I check rheingold/psdz/

and files appear to be missing? Im using icom and i have psdzlite on another folder for esys but not sure if it will work with if I copy and paste to the rheingold directory
Maybe try these steps to correct it...

https://desk.zoho.com/portal/obdhawk/en/kb/articles/fix-the-programming-system-could-not-be-initialized-the-ista-installation-may-be-damaged-or-incorrectly-configured

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the interest. I did see that link before checking here.

That confirms the necessary files are not included. It appears one is better off downloading an entirely different release that does come with the necessary files as opposed to attempting to make this release work with parts from other releases.

The ista+ ista P ista d mess is not an easy one to understand. it gets more confusing when a realease is missing some functionality and it is not mentioned anywhere.

No disrespect to the awesome dudes that make this possible, just it would be worth noting in the description.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was able to get the message "The programming system could not be initialized. The Ista installation might be damaged....' to go away.
By adding a symlink to the data and swi-data psdz files from another package.

I am able to read measures. but the "execute service function' and "execute measures" buttons are grayed out.

I suspect BLP and SDP files are missing.

No idea where to put them into this release to get it to work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi there,
As I program on Ista, I get the following warning.
"The connection to the vehicle interface has been disrupted. There are several possible causes including network problems, problems with the vehicle interface or a recent battery reset (indicated in test module). Please check the connection where necessary. You can resume working with the same interface as soon as the vehicle interface is available again. Or, as an alternative, select a new vehicle interface. If a connection to the vehicle is not needed any longer, remove the connection via the connection manager. "

As I proceed further, I get the warning "“Invalid IP address of the head unit".

The ista manual has the following instructions,
"Invalid IP address for Ethernet control units At the start of the operation a note appears in ISTA, indicating an invalid IP address. The programming of Ethernet control units can fail if the following steps are not adhered to:
1. Terminate ISTA operation
2. Carry out vehicle battery reset
3. Restart operation
4. If the fault message still appears: Check the Ethernet wiring in the vehicle using the wiring diagram in ISTA
5. If the fault message still appears: Contact Technical Support "

I would like to reset the battery to clear these warnings.
What kind of work is the battery reset here? 
Please tell me if anyone knows!

Thanks advance,

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I downloaded ista via the other thread in this forum... which is what I ASSUME the instructions refer to. However, despite saying that the instructions only apply to their specific distribution, no link is given. I'm having several issues. It seems that most of the data is missing. When I start the program I'm greeted with a database error message:

Furthermore, once I could get my vehicle to connect (found a suggestion to use COM 1 instead of COM 9. Maybe update the instructions?) I wasn't able to find any fault codes despite having two warning lights on my dash... and I happen to know there was a code for one bc I'd had it scanned at an indy shop. Also, it seems like many sections are empty when they shouldn't be...

I tried starting as admin and extracting the files as admin. Anybody know what's going on?

·
Registered
35 Posts
cant find files

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble following the steps in the pdf guide.

The files referenced such as "Prerequisites" or "VC-Redist.x64" aren't in the Megaupload.

Have I missed something? I've looked everywhere.
Did you find the "prerequisites" and "VC-Redist.x64" file cause I couldn't find it too

The help will be appreciated!

901 - 919 of 919 Posts