BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fast Cars Suck!
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know start with the belts, well there not cracked or shinny and seem to be in working order, the problem arrises when i go to use my headlights, the PO installed HID's, and unless i rev the car to 1500 or so RMP when i flick them on untill there fully charged it'll screetch like hell, friend of mine said could be a "rider pully" as the car makes a "supercharger" type whine consistantly (albiet not that loud). also the belt squeels sometimes when the a/c is turned on or if i use my rear deforster with any other device, just lookin for some input, been like this for awhile and runs great but my car is gorgous(if i dont say so myself) and im tired of having that embarasing belt squeel.

also it was suggested that my HID's may need relays wired in?

dont know alot about HID's so yea thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
Fast Cars Suck!
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but the battery never seems low, and always has a good charge?

·
Sucker for the 3 Series
302 Posts
alternator cant keep up witht he extra load. It is adding that much force that the belt finds it easier to slip than to keep running the alternator. Either upgrade, or you WILL have a flat battery. also, it will void any battery warranty from any manufacturer.

try tightening the belt, but dont overtighten to compensate. if it cant keep up, you will need a larger alternator. trust me, i sell batteries for a living and see this stuff all the time.

·
Search Button Upper Right
2,234 Posts
If your car came equipped with the lower of the alternators and you tossed in the higher of the alternators (I say it lamen terms because I can't remember the stats on the alternators, but i seem to remember their being two different types of different power outages available...) would you run into any problems or would you just have more power available to electrical sources? (taking into account more drag on engine because of a higher power amp...)

·
Sucker for the 3 Series
302 Posts
If your car came equipped with the lower of the alternators and you tossed in the higher of the alternators (I say it lamen terms because I can't remember the stats on the alternators, but i seem to remember their being two different types of different power outages available...) would you run into any problems or would you just have more power available to electrical sources? (taking into account more drag on engine because of a higher power amp...)
i cant think of any... you would obviously use more fuel and possibly lose a tad of performance, but anyone else feel free to jump in...

·
Fast Cars Suck!
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now will an alternator upgrade be a direct bolt in? or will there be a bit of fiddiling involved
?

·
Resident Pilot
1,778 Posts
Based on the squeal, I'd say your HIDs have some issues and your alternator is having trouble keeping up.
As far as the AC goes, that's another belt. Perhaps a tensioner is going, or the compressor has a bad bearing.

With belt squeals it's generally one of three things:
Bad belt (belt is too worn, dry rotten or old to work properly)
Belt tension (too loose to tight)
Bad bearing/load (bearing slows the rotation of the wheel to drive the assembly, or the load is too high for the belt at the current tension)

Poorboy:
As far as changing the alternator goes, one of BMW's amazing traits is that most everything is easily interchangeable, provided it is OEM. It is that way to assure production costs are low across the variety of options. Given the amount of options on their automobiles, different engine bays for different setups would drive up productions costs related to the chassis. That said, it should be a relatively easy swap.

·
Yes, they're real!!!
1,538 Posts
I suggest changing the tensioners while you're there! That's what I did and it saved me a few bucks worth of labour cost. Just my $0.02! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts