BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one dared to tackle this project. Google showed no one showing a tutorial. I guess I'll be the first to do so.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm with you on this one I was not able to find anything on it. Coming from and E60 there was videos or instructions online for every repair the F10 is slim pickings. I look at the serpentine belt and there is a whole lot of things going on around it and parts around it so it will not be a 5 minutes exchange like it was with my old car..... At least it does not look like it. Good luck finding something on it and hope you can get it done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm with you on this one I was not able to find anything on it. Coming from and E60 there was videos or instructions online for every repair the F10 is slim pickings. I look at the serpentine belt and there is a whole lot of things going on around it and parts around it so it will not be a 5 minutes exchange like it was with my old car..... At least it does not look like it. Good luck finding something on it and hope you can get it done.
Thanks. Just picked up the belt tensioner and serpentine belt. There isn't much room to work with. BMW placed the condenser(not sure if it is) tubes right on front of all the pulleys. I used to work on my e92 and hondas but this is going to a tough one just because theres literally 2 inches of work space.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks. Just picked up the belt tensioner and serpentine belt. There isn't much room to work with. BMW placed the condenser(not sure if it is) tubes right on front of all the pulleys. I used to work on my e92 and hondas but this is going to a tough one just because theres literally 2 inches of work space.
Just out of curiosity and if you don't mind sharing, how much were the parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Please keep us updated, pictures too if possible.

I too will be interested in getting it done at some point this year. As the cars dinner a bit of mileage and the belt makes a tiny bit of noise occasionally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please keep us updated, pictures too if possible.

I too will be interested in getting it done at some point this year. As the cars dinner a bit of mileage and the belt makes a tiny bit of noise occasionally.
Will try to.

·
Registered
371 Posts
BMW tech here,,,that PDFs file is wrong that's for a N63 engine,,,sorry to say you need a special size torque socket and yes there is no room,,,and it's not easy to get remove the electric fan,,,,with the special tool you can remove the tensioner without removing the fan,,,,sorry but good luck,,,,pay the inde,,,,,my blog page bmwtechnician

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tensioner is held on with an aluminum bolt, make sure the bolt hasn't broken.
Tensioner bolt is actually made of steel. Went to BMW to confirm. Also did a magnet test, stuck it like rice on rice. Older 5 series are held on with an aluminum bolt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BMW tech here,,,that PDFs file is wrong that's for a N63 engine,,,sorry to say you need a special size torque socket and yes there is no room,,,and it's not easy to get remove the electric fan,,,,with the special tool you can remove the tensioner without removing the fan,,,,sorry but good luck,,,,pay the inde,,,,,my blog page bmwtechnician
Thanks for advice. Didn't need a special tool. Bought a T60 socket from autozone. Spent many trips to the store.

·
Registered
841 Posts
What is the recommended mileage for replacement?

·
Registered
8 Posts
fmfm provided the attached instructions for my DIY on the belt replacement. It was spot on for the 535i. It took me a little longer than two hours but it was well worth it. Following the instructions, with the electric fan removed it is "easier" but still pretty tight in there. There is also a spacer bolt that I had to remove in order to get the belt off. it was not a big deal and it may not have been necessary but it helped for me. When pulling the electric fan be sure not to lose the rubber bumper on the right hand side. Mine fell off during the removal and at first I could not figure out why the bolt was not lining up perfectly. After about 5 minutes I figured what was wrong. When I replaced the radiator on my 03 530, there was a similar looking bumper on the base so that is the only reason I knew it was there. Good luck and take your time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
One thing that I found "interesting" was the fact that the drive pulley setup is different on a car with Dynamic Drive. Anyone here know what the two extra drive pulleys on the bottom do? (the smaller one appears to be just idler for tension.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts