BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
In love with my car.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reposting this because I posted it in the wrong section like an idiot. :dunno:
--------------

The great City of Los Angeles decided to leave one of those steel plates sticking up a good couple inches in the road and I had the misfortune of hitting it last night at about 40/45 miles an hour. The run flat went bad fast. It felt like a normal flat tire, pulling to the right and threatening to tear off the rim. I didn't even want to chance the drive to the dealership so I had it towed (hey it's free right?). Turns out the rim got bent, and they say the other 3 tires should be replaced as well (uneven wear on the front left, both backs are worn--27k miles). $1750 for 4 new tires (this seems excessive), $400 for the rim, $100 for the alignment. $2298.51 all-in.

Recs or advice? I've been thinking about getting new rims and tires anyway, should I just go somewhere else? Money's tight with the economy, anyone know of anyone good for this in LA? Preferably west-side.

Thanks gang.

----
EDIT: KrisL moved this over to general for me, if a mod wants to kill this one. Sorry about the hassle. Fing Monday. =)

·
Registered
129 Posts
If I were you I'd ditch the RFTs and buy a really nice set of regular tires. Then get the new rim, and alignment.

I have an E93 also, so I know that keeping a spare tire in the trunk isn't a wonderful solution. But, given that your experience with the RFT's so far is that you blew one of them and needed a tow, you'd just be in the same boat with regular tires.

I'm still running my RFT's because I've only got about 3K miles on the E93, but unless they seriously improve the RFT's ride quality, longevity and lower the cost, I won't be buying another set.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Whoa! A set of 4 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics (non-RFT) is about $800 at tirerack. I'd replace the rim, buy a set of non-RFT tires, and spend the rest of the money on something else.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I have "taco'd" my fair share of wheels over the years on various cars and been lucky enough to get them all repaired. Might be something worth looking into but no idea where to direct you shop wise since not from your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
203 Posts
There are plenty of places where you can get a bent rim fixed for as little as $100.00 If you want a new rem I think you can get them from less if you don't get it from a dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I were you I'd ditch the RFTs and buy a really nice set of regular tires. Then get the new rim, and alignment.

I have an E93 also, so I know that keeping a spare tire in the trunk isn't a wonderful solution. But, given that your experience with the RFT's so far is that you blew one of them and needed a tow, you'd just be in the same boat with regular tires.

I'm still running my RFT's because I've only got about 3K miles on the E93, but unless they seriously improve the RFT's ride quality, longevity and lower the cost, I won't be buying another set.
Becareful with the terms and conditions of road side assitance, read the fine print carefully. I've heard that if you're not running RFT's then you void your road side assistance and may not be entitled to a tow as a result of a flat. The car should be in OEM condition or else you stand a chance that you will not get service.

·
In love with my car.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Be careful with the terms and conditions of road side assistance, read the fine print carefully. I've heard that if you're not running RFT's then you void your road side assistance and may not be entitled to a tow as a result of a flat. The car should be in OEM condition or else you stand a chance that you will not get service.
aelahi, that was going to be a follow-up question of mine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Becareful with the terms and conditions of road side assitance, read the fine print carefully. I've heard that if you're not running RFT's then you void your road side assistance and may not be entitled to a tow as a result of a flat. The car should be in OEM condition or else you stand a chance that you will not get service.
Understood and agreed. I'd probably take some of the $ 1,000 I'd save by not buying RFT's and buy a $ 50 AAA membership. :)

·
In love with my car.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you should sue the city department of roads or whatever they have in the US - and get a new set of huge alloys
It's an organization called CalTrans here in California. I'll be filing a claim. Though I don't think it will go anywhere as the state is broke. I saw that they had padded the metal plate with asphalt around the edges the day after I hit it. Not sure if that makes my claim more legit or less...

·
driving a D around RTP
536 Posts
I would hope that CalTrans pays you and then turns around and makes a claim against the construction company's insurance policy. Or is it CalTrans that holds that insurance policy directly?

I know someone whose new black car got white paint overspray while driving over a bridge on an interstate. The crew was painting the bridge on a windy day and spraying upwind of the cars. A claim was made to the car's owner's insurance company. The insurance company said there were lots of claims for that day and this one was no where near isolated. The insurance company filed against the state and the state paid a fair amount to repair the damages.

In case you were wondering...I had expected the repair to be as simple as a good detail with clay bar. Not so. Was told that the paint they use is acidic so that it cuts through crap to stick to the surface underneath. As a result it damages the car's clear coat if not removed immediately. The side of the car was repainted.

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Understood and agreed. I'd probably take some of the $ 1,000 I'd save by not buying RFT's and buy a $ 50 AAA membership. :)
...or sign up for the roadside assistance offered by BMW CCA

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
:bs:

dj

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I 'think' that what dj means is can you substantiate this. It it too important a statement to make just based on hearsay, as many people may be affected by it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow. Gotta love the southern California streets huh Pho? Unbelievable. I hit a pot hole. bubbled both tires on the left side, bent both rims. I had a nice surprise when i took my car in for regular service. 4 new tires recommended (only 20k miles on the car) and two new rims. Looks like the prices are fairly consistant.. $2800. for me but i need one more rim and my alignment is $200. huh, $2800? really? RTFs = no bueno. just come tow me. or give me the spare back. i can't remember the last time i got a flat tire. i'll change a tire every 15 years. bit of a novelty in my opinion, unless they can make them a little more durable like someone mentioned above.

Anyway, the front and rear wheels are different sizes thus different prices. i priced all around Dego and couldn't find anything under $780 out the door to replace two tires. i even went to discounttiredirect.com which seems cool at first when you price the front tire, which is super cheap, but then you get to the well over priced rear tire. both are the second most expensive tires the site sells in the size and are for BMWs in particular. if you want to save $50 dollars you can wait to have the tires delivered to your door, then bring them in to your shop somehow to have them mounted. eh. i'll probably wind up taking it back in to BMW as then i'm assured the TPMS is working properly eventhough i could get it done in a fraction of the time at a local shop. price will be around $50 more. they did tell me that they could put the new tires on the bent rims. maybe it's slight. :confused:

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Insurance claim.

Then you/agent go after CalTrans for a reimbursement of the deductible (and your insurance company should go after CalTrans too).

- Mike

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Insurance claim.

Then you/agent go after CalTrans for a reimbursement of the deductible (and your insurance company should go after CalTrans too).

- Mike
Sounds like trying to squeeze water from a rock. The Cal part of CalTrans is insolvent. The latest projected deficit for the state is $21+ billion (yes, billion with a 'b'). Pothole claims will be the last item on the list of things to pay. And to add insult to injury, you might get paid with registered warrants (aka IOUs).... That is why an insurance policy for road hazards made sense to me.

·
In love with my car.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my new tires/rims last Friday (Breyton Race GTS matte grey 19s with Hankook rubber)! They look awesome! Huge props to TireRack.com and Liberty Tire (local here in West LA). Some of the best customer service I've had from both places. I will update with pics when I have a chance to take them.

Question: I ordered new TPMS on the rims so I could sell the old ones with them in tact. How do I go about pairing them with my car? Or are they somehow set up for that already? No warning light about it anyway...

Thanks for the help! Great community here. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts