Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having switched from a 3 series convertible (sports package, low profile tires - 45) to a more NY roads friendly 530xi (less low profile tires - 50), I was disappointed to find they are no match for the pot holes on the FDR Drive and the BQE. I am back in the mugs game of replacing the rims and tires on a regular basis. :cry: The latest damage is $540 plus tax for the left front wheel and tire.

I read in one of the threads that their dealer had put the same wheels back on after charging for replacement rims. My question is how can you really tell that it was a $50 rebalancing issue versus a $600 new wheel and tire issue? Also, whether they have actually replaced the wheel and not just fixed the old one? Or do you just have to take it on trust?

Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. did think of that but storing it or disposing of it properly is always a challenge in NYC. May be that's the only way.

·
Moderator, 5-Series
5,938 Posts
Isn't the city/county/state somehow liable for their crappy roads? I know here in California that you can complain to the city or state about road damage damaging your car and get compensated.

In the future, you could be clever and somehow mark your rims. I would remove them and place some kind of a mark on the back or even a scratch of some kind...maybe an initial.

I dunno, but maybe the rims have some serial number etched into them somwhere? You should remove one and look on the inside.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just ask to see the old parts before the work is done. Then say you don't want them after they show you... I do that all the time.

:)

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
1,482 Posts
ZAIM_NY said:
You mean with my normal car insurance? I use Geico and they never mentioned that one could.
No, your dealership will have a wheel insurance program they will sell to you. It's a high profit item, so you can negotiate the price somewhat. If you replace just one wheel and tire under the program, it has paid for itself and then some.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions - much appreciated. I like the idea of complaining to the city but they'll probably tell me that I was going too fast - has anyone got anywhere with complaining to NYC about crappy roads, in terms of compensation for blown out tires?

This time round I eventually asked for the rim/tire back and I could clearly see that it was bent. A limo guy recently told me that you could get them repaired and keep it in spare. I'll see if I can find some space - may be under my bed :)

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
balancing weights would be in different places and if they were removed, the old ones would leave marks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts