Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend had a 2006 C230 loaner which I was able to drive for about an hour last weekend. Apparently the 2006s have gone from the supercharged four to a 2.5 liter V-6 of around 200 HP. Very quiet, very smooth. Not a great deal of power (doesn't help that the car is a bit on the heavy side like most Mercs), but they really nailed the handling in the recent C-classes I've driven - the steering is just a bit numb but very accurate and well-weighted. Brakes - big drilled rotors up front - are excellent also.

They base around 30K, but the window sticker they left in the car had this one optioned to around 36K. Would be a pretty good buy at 30, but the options are just outrageous (and absolutely everything is an option).

I thought about this as a replacement for the wife's car when her lease runs out in July - in part because I can get a friends and family discount.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Sorry to hijack...

Kind of an end of an era, I believe the 2005 C230K was the last 4 cylinder, 4 door, RWD car sold in the states.

·
trailingthrottleoversteer
4,328 Posts
You aint kiddin' that EVERYTHING is an option.

After weeks of looking we finally ended up ordering Mrs. Rizzo's C230 because there were no cars available that were "loaded". However, Benz really knocks some dust off the sticker.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99742

FWIW: the new V6 Benzes also have 7-speed auto trannies.

The car is (still) really a blast to drive...I agree with your comment about the handling, but with the 4cyl S/C, you have to be in the right gear all the time or it's no fun coming out of a corner. We just went over 10k and have had zero problems so far. Next time I'm going to test a factory NAV before dropping $2 large on one, this one does not have a touch screen and all the info has to be input by a joystick - and that makes it a real PITA sometimes. I'm used to my Garmin with a touch screen.

While they were PDOing the car - the dealer let me drive around a C55. Now, that was a blast!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frank Rizzo said:
FWIW: the new V6 Benzes also have 7-speed auto trannies.
The one I drove had the 7-speed. I'm more of a manual guy, but I thought it was an excellent automatic. More responsive then most when you try to select a gear manually. I got to drive a 7 speed auto in a SLK350 a while ago down at Jack Murphy in San Diego, and I was really impressed with how the tranmission held a low gear coming out of a corner.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KrisL said:
Sorry to hijack...

Kind of an end of an era, I believe the 2005 C230K was the last 4 cylinder, 4 door, RWD car sold in the states.
Wow - good catch! You must kick some serious hiney in Trivial Pursuit. I can think of some 4WD 4cyl 4-doors, but nothing RWD.

·
an audience of One
7,860 Posts
The interior re-design for MY 06 is superb. Now I wanna drive the new V6 C230 to see how it compares with the C240.

-Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts