BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what is the best alarm system for a bmw since my did not came with the original and if i do buy one i would not like my car alarm to hear like does hondas lmao i rather hook up my horn for a alarm thanks

·
Keeping it surreal
43,272 Posts
99% of us don`t bother with alarms....they`re pretty much useless these days. Just programming the clown nose to blink gives the appearance of having an alarm, which is enough of a deterrent to all but the most hard-core smash-and-grab douchenozzles, and an active alarm wouldn`t stop them anyway. The best policy is to NEVER leave anything of value (even sunglasses, a handful of change on the console, or a pack of smokes) that will attract attention.

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Silence is golden. The appearance of an alarm is just as effective as having one, and it's cheap or free (my car was programmed to blink the clown nose when I took delivery).

Ever see a car towed on a flat bed with the alarm wailing away? I have and I didn't care, nor did anyone else, other than to think what a tool the guy was for parking illegally and getting towed. As far as we know, it could have been stolen and no one called the cops, cuz they don't care either. :)

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,210 Posts
Save your money. Nobody has paid attention to car alarms since the early 90's. Periods are your friend by the way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone so how much does the dealer charge just to activate the clown nose with every light blinking

·
Keeping it surreal
43,272 Posts
Thanks everyone so how much does the dealer charge just to activate the clown nose with every light blinking
Depending on the integrity of the dealer, they *should* only charge a half-hour`s labor....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depending on the integrity of the dealer, they *should* only charge a half-hour`s labor....
I called the dealer today and i told the lady from service parts how much would it be to activate the clown nose and she was asking around she said and they told her that i have to buy the whole alarm system what some bs man

·
Keeping it surreal
43,272 Posts
What did you say so they can activate it because im having trouble here this people and the dealer are retarted
You might want to try another (non-retarDed) dealer....they all have a list of light-programming possibilities which are available for the E46....tell them you just want the clown nose to flash, and the parking lights to blink upon activating/deactivating the door locks. You don`t need an alarm to do that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I agree with what everyone says about the alarm system. However, I have the full OEM alarm system and I like it. It doesn't do all the retarded beeping when someone merely walks by and touches it or whatever. You have to actually BREAK into it. I like the motion sensor also. Freaks my friends out when they stick their arm in the window without touching anything and the alarm goes off! While the alarm has no effect if it goes off in a parking lot or somewhere else you have left it, it does have an effect if it goes off at my house while I am there and I hear it!! Although, last time that happened, it was when my girlfriend backed into it!! LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dam i tried another dealer just to activate the lights and they told me $160.74 thats to much

·
Go Hokies!
276 Posts
$160.74 is nuts. I had my car at an indy for some work I didn't have the time to DIY, and they turned on the clown nose for free while they had it hooked up to the computer for diagnostics.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts