BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any idea what is one of the best methods or systems to protecting your car from theft? Lojack is an option but I'd prefer to have my car back before the guy gets it to his chop shop/house. Anyone got the scoop on the best alarm system? And by best...I dont mean the best buy.

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Anyone got any idea what is one of the best methods or systems to protecting your car from theft? Lojack is an option but I'd prefer to have my car back before the guy gets it to his chop shop/house. Anyone got the scoop on the best alarm system? And by best...I dont mean the best buy.

LoJack Early Warning will notify you if your car is moved.

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasnt aware of that. I want something to where I can disable the engine from a distance. Maybe a cell phone or something? Is there anything like this out? I want nothing but the best to protect my upcoming 335i.

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:banana: REVIVE! :banana:

This is still unanswered for me. Anyone have any solutions to a good imobilizer?

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? So if someone breaks the window and the alarm goes off then the car will not start?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

Simple solution. Keep a small picture of your avatar in the front windshield. Nobody will attempt to steal your Sparkling Graphite car!!! :thumbup:

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hah! :rofl::rofl: Thats good. But I think I need something to stop a determined theif from stealing the car. Im not worried about car jackings, (theif wouldnt live through it) but I am worried about my car being stolen while im inside a resturaunt or something.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Really? So if someone breaks the window and the alarm goes off then the car will not start?
You need a chipped key to start the car, so it is immobilized from starting without that chipped key. It can't be hot-wired.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
You need a chipped key to start the car, so it is immobilized from starting without that chipped key. It can't be hot-wired.
I want to make sure I understand this...........I have Comfort Access. Are you saying that there is no way a thief can start my car without the keys?

I've never stolen a car :rofl:, so I don't know what methods are used. :dunno:

·
Banned
1,307 Posts

insure your freaken car and stop whinning about it getting stolen, it's a piece of metal. The things you own end up owning you.

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
insure your freaken car and stop whinning about it getting stolen, it's a piece of metal. The things you own end up owning you.
Actually some things that I own enhance my mood and therfor will enhance the life that I live. I tend to want to protect those things. And since when is worrying about a 50k car whinning?

I suppose my house is a thing that ends up owning me? Should I get rid of my computer too? You have one of the worst outlooks on life I've seen in awhile.

Guess I should expect to see you in a few years living on a park bench screaming "Nothing owns me!" :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Actually some things that I own enhance my mood and therfor will enhance the life that I live. I tend to want to protect those things. And since when is worrying about a 50k car whinning?

I suppose my house is a thing that ends up owning me? Should I get rid of my computer too? You have one of the worst outlooks on life I've seen in awhile.

Guess I should expect to see you in a few years living on a park bench screaming "Nothing owns me!" :rolleyes:
They obviously dont enhance your life enough to prevent you from worrying about your mass produced commuter car, and the possibilities of it getting stolen.

I'd understand if your car was a one-of-kind classic that was produced in limited quantities and thus if stolen, would never be replaced.

Get over it, it's not a Picasso*; if someone steals your car, you wait a few weeks and you'll get an exact replacement.

*Pablo Picasso was a world renown artist and his works are very sought after; they have fetched millions of dollars at auction. Point of clarification for those that read the forum that are not very cultured - I mean after all there are people on this board that "DREAM" of being a cop in central Florida of all places. Talk about high expectations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW, the 3-series is well above average (in a good way) against thefts, even without alarm systems. This is according to insurance industry statistics, who have a particular interest in knowing what cars are likely to be stolen.

·
Corner Carving Addict
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They obviously dont enhance your life enough to prevent you from worrying about your mass produced commuter car, and the possibilities of it getting stolen.

I'd understand if your car was a one-of-kind classic that was produced in limited quantities and thus if stolen, would never be replaced.

Get over it, it's not a Picasso*; if someone steals your car, you wait a few weeks and you'll get an exact replacement.

*Pablo Picasso was a world renown artist and his works are very sought after; they have fetched millions of dollars at auction. Point of clarification for those that read the forum that are not very cultured - I mean after all there are people on this board that "DREAM" of being a cop in central Florida of all places. Talk about high expectations.
Why do you insist on attacking me? And about me thinking of becoming a cop? Me considering being a cop is in no way a low expectation. I dont know what you have done with your life but seriously helping people out on a daily basis is what I want...You dont become a cop for money.

Your starting to come off to me as one who doesn't really care about the original post but more as one who wants to start fights. You have no buisness putting down what I want to do with my life in a discussion about car alarms. Do us all a favor and go elsewhere with your hostilities.

Appreciate (almost) everyone who helped answer my question.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

Were you able to replace that broad that got stuck in your back seat?

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Why do you insist on attacking me? And about me thinking of becoming a cop? Me considering being a cop is in no way a low expectation. I dont know what you have done with your life but seriously helping people out on a daily basis is what I want...You dont become a cop for money.

Your starting to come off to me as one who doesn't really care about the original post but more as one who wants to start fights. You have no buisness putting down what I want to do with my life in a discussion about car alarms. Do us all a favor and go elsewhere with your hostilities.

Appreciate (almost) everyone who helped answer my question.
dude, How am i attacking you.. or anyone for that matter? ... I didnt know it was you that said he wanted to be a cop in another post; If you dont want people talking about or poking fun of your life's goals then you shouldnt post it on a very public forum.

As for what I've done... I've gone to some of best schools in the world and am currently an attorney at one of the most prestigious firms in the country. I thought about being a cop when I was about 5, but then.. when I grew up, I realized that I wanted an education instead.

Me telling you to insure your car rather than worry about which alarm system to install, serves as a realty check. You can have the best alarm system in the world, but it's not going to stop a guy with a flat bed from hauling it off in the dark of night when you're hanging out in college park or downtown getting your groove on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts