BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've pulled the trigger for a new "F10" (see sig :) ), I'm now wondering about the best way to feed recorded audio (aka music) into the Premium/Professional DSP audio system.

In my current 650i, I already have an iPod in the glovebox connected to the Logic7 system via dock cable and the old MOST iPod interface: That's the one which basically makes the iDrive/audio system think that a CD changer is connected instead. I've been pretty happy with that setup so far.

The two only options I'm now considering for the F10 Premium system are A) loading audio files to the hard drive via the USB port in the glovebox and B) have a new iPod Nano in the center console compartment connected to the USB port via the original white Apple dock cable.

From what I understand based on my research so far, here are the advantages and disadvantages of the two options:

A) Loading audio files to internal hard drive
+ already included, no additional equipment or cost
+ no "unnecessary" items taking away space in the console compartment
- Audio file format limitations (MP3 up to 256kbps only, no Apple lossless support?)
- Tedious music search/playlist handling, because every transferred bunch of audio files is apparently considered as a new separate "Album" (if I understood the PDF online manual correctly)

B) Current iPod Nano with white Apple dock cable connected to the center console compartment USB port (and protected by some DIY "sock"):
+ No audio file format limitations: the audio system will play anything the iPod can play
+ The iPod playlists can also be accessed via iDrive
+ Album art pics can be displayed on the iDrive LCD
- Additional item bouncing around / taking up some space in that console compartment
- Additional cost, albeit not THAT expensive

My questions:
1.) Am I missing something with my listed advantages and disadvantages above?
2.) Is there some audible sound quality difference with files which can be played by both options (i.e. 256kbps MP3)? Yes, I'm rather an audiophile.

TIA for any help

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Third option (simple).

Not being an ipod person I've been quite happy with loading MP3s on a small USB drive and plugging into the center console USB port.

Easily accessed with various organization options through the idrive.

Can get a lot of music on a 16G or 32G drive and its easy to unplug the drive to add or delete music material from your PC or Mac as you may wish.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Fourth option would be to combine it with music on DVDs. About 50 mp3 albums would fit on one DVD.
DVD Access speed is pretty slow. The other options are better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not being an ipod person I've been quite happy with loading MP3s on a small USB drive and plugging into the center console USB port.
Actually this was #3 on my list.

However such a stick is protruding about twice as much into the compartment than a normal USB connector. So my concern here is - taking my clumsiness into account - to risk breaking something when fumbling around in that compartment while keeping my eyes somewhere else, i.e. on the road...
Or am I just too pessimistic?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Small USB drives are getting really short - I have one less than 3/4 inch.

No need to "acess it" while driving and it stays out of the way of "other stuff" in the center console compartment.

Not recommending this brand but just an example of how short they are getting!

Attachments

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other day when I stopped for a quick hello at my dealership, I had the brief opportunity to check out an USB stick plugged in the centre console as an audio source. The opportunity was actually VERY brief, since it was in one of those typical showroom cars with a dying battery cutting power with gongs and warning messages every couple of seconds :rolleyes:. So the Diesel engine had to be started for one minute of uninterrupted power ... you get the idea.

Anyway, the good news: The system will also play 320kbps MP3's from the stick!
The less good news: The sequence of the audio files within the folders was the same as on the PC... obviously sorted by alphabet.

=> How would you add a "playlist" in order to control the sequence of songs? As iTunes apparently doesn't recognize such an USB stick as a logical device, it can't be done the same way as with an iPod.

Also I'd be thankful for more comments to my original two options asked in the original post of this thread, as I'm still not sure which way to go.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would go the iPod route. I currently have an iPod connected in my 328i and have been very happy with it. I'll just change the cord to an Apple one for the F10. Just buy a referb one from the Apple Store. No need to get the newest version for one to just sit in the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Audio Quality Degraded if Stored on Car's Internal Hard Drive

On my 2011 BMW 550i, I have noticed a significant poorer audio quality if I take a CD or USB drive and transfer it to the BMW's internal hard drive and play back the tracks as compared with using the original for playback. The sound of the original has better dynamic range, more tonal range, better musical integrity and overall sounds better on my auto's premium audio system. I intend to demonstrate this to my dealer to see if something can be improved. It is easy to A/B between the original CD or USB drive and the hard drive during playback. Have any other users on this board found this problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts