BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery on a 2016 435i xdrive. It has the m performance package 1 on it...which of these tuners is the best bang for the buck?

Afe scorcher 340hp 380 torque $425 usd

Turner motor sports 380 hp 372 torque $699 usd

Dinan stage 1 364hp 430 torque $2000 usd

Dinan stage 2 382hp 455 torque
$2300 usd

The only other mods I may do are exhaust and a cool air intake.
Also would mine have the mppk software or is that only with the m performance II package?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
this thread has been heavily discussed. if you do a custom search in the upper right hand box you will be able to retrieve the threads. i went with Dinan for their 4yr/50k warranty protection (matching BMW 4 yr/50k warranty) but others have different opinions.

·
Vendor
6,804 Posts
I just took delivery on a 2016 435i xdrive. It has the m performance package 1 on it...which of these tuners is the best bang for the buck?

Afe scorcher 340hp 380 torque $425 usd

Turner motor sports 380 hp 372 torque $699 usd

Dinan stage 1 364hp 430 torque $2000 usd

Dinan stage 2 382hp 455 torque
$2300 usd

The only other mods I may do are exhaust and a cool air intake.
Also would mine have the mppk software or is that only with the m performance II package?
AFE

That being said i would do the Jb+, JB stage 1 or JB4 over any of the tunes you mentioned.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing about the afe I don't like is the toggle switch in cabin.
Are they truly untraceable if you remove them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So let say for instance something happens to my motor...if they do deep diagnostics, they still won't detect that a tuner was there?
Do you have to remove the tuner before a regular service?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
6,804 Posts
So let say for instance something happens to my motor...if they do deep diagnostics, they still won't detect that a tuner was there?
Do you have to remove the tuner before a regular service?

I would remove the tune before any dealership visit

I cannot give you a 100% answer in your first question because no one knows exactly what kind of tools they use for diagnostics, but i can tell you 2 things for sure

1- Your regular SA does not have these tools
2- Out of tens of thousands of tuned cars, i have not heard of 1 single time where dealer caught to presence of a tune after it was removed

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would be worried regarding the circumstantial evidence that is left from the tune. Blown turbo or error codes that can only arise from a foreign body in thr system.

·
Vendor
6,804 Posts
I would be worried regarding the circumstantial evidence that is left from the tune. Blown turbo or error codes that can only arise from a foreign body in thr system.
The odds of this happening is close to 0

As i said earlier, out of tens of thousands of tuned cars. I am not aware of one single time where this has happened

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would remove the tune before any dealership visit

I cannot give you a 100% answer in your first question because no one knows exactly what kind of tools they use for diagnostics, but i can tell you 2 things for sure

1- Your regular SA does not have these tools

2- Out of tens of thousands of tuned cars, i have not heard of 1 single time where dealer caught to presence of a tune after it was removed
Cool thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I'm not going to aggressive with the mods. Just exhaust, cold air intake and a stage 1 tune.
So I can't see it harming the motor

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've taken the BMS off for one of my oil services in Portland and heard not a peep. I left it on for the latest oil service here in SD and they didn't say a thing. I went in for my combox retrofit this last week and they had issues programming the car not related to the BMS but they did indeed see it and the SA mentioned it but it's not listed on my paperwork nor did they chastise me about having it. Also during this visit they had to have BMW remote in and re-code my car and nothing was said about it. In the future for any major work beyond oil service I may just take it off...but overall I've had great luck for 1.5 years so far with my tune and Kafka had it on his for what close to 3 years with nary an issue. Bang for the buck the BMS seems the way to go.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the bms have an in cabin switch like the afe?
Or is it a proper map?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have spoken with my BMW dealer about the presence of a tune (Dinan/JB1/JB4) and the dealer conveyed the following: It's not an issue and the dealer doesn't really care, until the tune CAUSES damage and the dealer needs to justify to BMW that the repair should be covered under a BMW warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have spoken with my BMW dealer about the presence of a tune (Dinan/JB1/JB4) and the dealer conveyed the following: It's not an issue and the dealer doesn't really care, until the tune CAUSES damage and the dealer needs to justify to BMW that the repair should be covered under a BMW warranty.
Same was with my 2015 Mustang until my wastegate actuator failed and caused it to shoot 35 PSI into my third cylinder. Nice little $7,000 fix out of pocket for a new block plus labor. That's why I'm not going to get the lower end motor because I don't want to try to make it up with mods. I'll start with a strong and quick motor and just compliment it with an exhaust and maybe a stage 1 tune.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the bms have an in cabin switch like the afe?
Or is it a proper map?

·
Registered
170 Posts
proTUNINGFreaks bootmod3 is the flash tune game changer everyone's been waiting for...no real need for piggybacks (although Jb4 does have some awesome features and gauges).

I'll be going to SEMA to meet up with Alex & Ricardo (ACF Performance) to completely re-tune my car. I'll be re-tuned for 91oct, 91/e85 mix and 100% e85. I'll be able to switch maps via the Dynamics control i.e. :

Comfort Mode= 91oct

Sport = 91/e85 mix

Sport+ = 100% e85 or Race fuel (supporting mods required)

Also, ACF will be able to fine tune my car remotely regardless of where I am via bm3.

Having had Dinan, it's my opinion they're the LEAST value for your money (power to cash ratio)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Having had Dinan, it's my opinion they're the LEAST value for your money (power to cash ratio)
+1

Cool sounding flash tune btw. I would be curious about doing a dynamic flash tune like this for my 320i in the future. I run map 2 (22psi) FBO at the moment. I love Jb4 and its on board map changing makes it dynamic, practical and fun to use. Dinan's piggy back was one fixed setting, not as fun... or as fast :/

1 - 20 of 46 Posts