BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay. I am getting ready to molest my baby all over any day now and I want to know the best kind of wax that I can put on her to make her really really shiny and wet looking.

Does anyone know of any great waxes that are specially designed to give black or dark colored cars a nice wet looking appearance. I just spotted the Black Box at my local advance auto parts store but for some reason I was hesitant to purchase it until I did some research on it and I'm glad on did because most people don't have any good reviews about it.

What about you got any great recommendations on waxes that you have used in the past on black or dark colored cars that give that great wet look?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. I will pick them up first thing in the morning. Oh and Yes I know not to purchase Turtle Wax. It's funny that you say that because a friend or at least that's what I thought he was until he gave me that infamous green can of turtle wax for my car. Of course I accepted it since he no longer used and insisted that it would work wonders on my car. But as soon as he left it went right where it belonged in the trash can.

Anyone else got any opinions?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know. I did use the search feature. But I wanted to see if there were any newer products on the market that some have tried now that worked wonders for them. Thanks for letting me know about the wonderful search feature as if I already did not know about it.

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
NXT wax sucks monkey ass. Use Zymol or the new Turtle wax called "Black Box". It's specialy formulated for black cars.

I have a black car and these two are the best I've found that are available at any local store...

Would I lie?

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Official Queen of E36 OT
4,460 Posts
I like Meguiar's, Mother's, Zymol.... and yeah, you're gonna freak. Turtle Wax's Synthetic Ice Polish. Its actually really good. Only Turtle Wax I use, and it's given me great results. You can't go wrong with the first three though, they're superb. If you really want to spend some cash and get a gorgeous finish..... http://www.zymol.com/zymolroyaleglaze44oz.aspx

Zymol cleaner wax is a good start on the waxing job though, then the Meguiar's, then the Ice. That's how I do it. :thumbup:

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts

·
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.
1,203 Posts
What's so wrong / crap / etc. about turtle wax?

·
Registered
103 Posts
+1 meguiars, and mothers. I recommend using a cleaner wax first, and then a finishing wax.

And here is my usual 2 cents worth...

For the love of black cars, please stay away from a buffer if you have not done detailing professionally. You can make your paint wave hello and goodbye with just a few passes on a black car if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

Be sure to use microfiber cloths for both the wax application and the removal. change to a clean cloth frequently, as to not scratch the paint with a bit of dirt that you might pick up off the surface. Black is the hardest color to maintain. It will show every imperfection.

And for those that don't know, DO NOT EVER run your car through an automated car wash. Especially black. Do it by hand with lots of clean diapers.

Turtlewax, or at least the original stuff tends to leave hard to remove globs of highly visible wax in all the nooks and cranys. Using it is like working on your BMW with sae tools. You might be able to do it, but you will want to quit and go buy the right stuff as soon as you get started.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the tips and advice. I will first start out with the Meguiars products since I went out on a shopping spree last night and treated myself to some goodies. I will then see if Meguiars performs to my hopes and my dreams.

I'll be sure to post some pics as soon as all my detailing is done!

Thanks again for all the input.

·
Bad Rabbit
407 Posts
While you were out, I hope you picked up a nice clay bar kit with some Quick Detail spray as lube.

You will see little to no difference if your paint surface is not prepped properly. You will notice a world of difference when you take the time to clay and if you want, even add a coat of glaze before the wax. On a black car, that will really make it pop!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While you were out, I hope you picked up a nice clay bar kit with some Quick Detail spray as lube.

You will see little to no difference if your paint surface is not prepped properly. You will notice a world of difference when you take the time to clay and if you want, even add a coat of glaze before the wax. On a black car, that will really make it pop!
We must be thinking alike because I absolutely made sure not to forget the Meguiars Detailing Clay kit. But my question is in the kit they give me two 50oz white clay bars instead of the usual yellow clay bar. Is there really any difference between the gold/yellow or the white Meguiars clay bar? I'm sure it will work just the same right? Or should I go and pick up the gold one since I also forgot to buy my lexol leather cleaner and conditioner?

·
Bad Rabbit
407 Posts
There are differing grade clay bars on the market. I personally like the yellow ones, but have used with not problems the exact ones you have. It seems like you keep your paint in pretty good condition, so I think the white ones would work just fine.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts