Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which car would be best in winter driving, particularly in the Boston and NYC area?

Points of interest:
1) handling in adverse conditions
2) comfort
3) interior space
4) parking difficuty

·
Registered
19,863 Posts
blackbmw said:
Which car would be best in winter driving, particularly in the Boston and NYC area?

Points of interest:
2) comfort
3) interior space
4) parking difficuty
WRX STI:thumbup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stylinexpat said:
WRX STI:thumbup:

i actually looked at the wrx but i didn't like the econobox interior. the wrx sti is a bit over the top styling-wise, as it projects the opposite of what i want it to.

In the running at the top are:
1) 530xit (new)
2) audi a4 2.0 quattro (new)
3) audi s4 (used)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
:rolleyes: BMW 3 series with winter shoes - 4 winters here - no problemo mon

·
Bimmer back, Bimmer back
1,603 Posts
Pvt. Joker said:
A 3 Series w/out LSD (only available on M3) is downright dangerous in heavy snow. :thumbdwn:

I haven't had any problems with mine and the Dunlop Wintersport M3's. :dunno:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Pvt. Joker said:
A 3 Series w/out LSD (only available on M3) is downright dangerous in heavy snow. :thumbdwn:

I wouldnt say that. proper tires and if needed chains have successfully been used in my family as long as I've been alive. The only concern I have is for ground clearance. I have had chunks of ice put a hole in my oilpan. And the E30 oil pan gasket has to be changed after every winter. But thats the price for driving a vehicle that is very hard to roll over. (stock). I have helped drivers out of their rolled over SUVS at least a half dozen times in the last few years.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
subaru legacy?

:dunno:

·
Family Man User
5,540 Posts
Do you have wife/kids? Do you haul lots of crap around? Are you single and the lone occupant of the car most of the time?

·
Save the Males!
1,368 Posts
swchang said:
Do you have wife/kids? Do you haul lots of crap around? Are you single and the lone occupant of the car most of the time?
That could only mean 1 thing, subie forester or outback. The legacy based outback is supposed to be better that subies of the past, and both are very fast with the 2.5 turbo 250 hp.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Pvt. Joker said:
Even with studded tires, it can't come close to a Quattro.
In last week's snow storm, I drove my girlfriend's WRX. Damn that thing goes great on the highway, but once you hit a 90 degree turn, you better know how to drift, or you're in a snow bank. As soon as you let off the gas in a corner, the WRX turns into a sled. You have to power through turns, or slow to Soccer Mom speed through the corners. It's all about the tires.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
blackbmw said:

Points of interest:
2) comfort
3) interior space
4) parking difficuty
5) Offroad when snow skiing
:angel:

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
1988-1991 325iX. viscous coupling t-case and lsd rear diff (not electronic awd and still has rear wheel bias). tossable and wicked fun to drive. get one.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
jwilson165 said:
1988-1991 325iX. viscous coupling t-case and lsd rear diff (not electronic awd and still has rear wheel bias). tossable and wicked fun to drive. get one.
You're in Mass? Sell me yours! :)

I tried to get my 73 year old Dad to buy a beautiful white 325iX, i think it was a 1990. But he lives in Phoenix so he didn't bite. :( He loves BMWs, I wish I could get him in one. He drives an old Geo Tracker, and he keeps it in showroom condition (I can't imagine why).

·
Registered
626 Posts
Audi Quattro.

2.0 FSI engine is a gem
3.2 is not as exciting, but definitely more grunt.

get the estate if you need more room. the regular sedan already has ample room. both seats fold all the way down, and even when not folded, there is enough space in there for 4 dead bodies.

enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Omni Extaris
6,203 Posts
blackbmw said:

Points of interest:
2) comfort
3) interior space
4) parking difficuty

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
swchang said:
Y'all really know how to rough it in Seattle, eh?
Roughing it is for single guys and gals with no kids. (been there, done that) When you get my age, you like a nice soft mattress at night. ;)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
blackbmw said:

Points of interest:
2) comfort
3) interior space
4) parking difficuty

Acura RL

AWD - beautiful interior, quiet, decent power. Nicer than the E90 BMW AWD imo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts