BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering ED and combining that with a vacation with my wife in mid October. (15 year anniversary, grandparents will have the kid, and my wife says don't be silly get the BMW not the Subaru...life is good :) )

I am looking for suggested "Romantic best of europe" in 7-10 days. Easy to drive...good places to stay. I want do enjoy the car...but not be driving 10 hours a day....especially if I want to have future anniversaries....

also input into best bets to get back to Munich from drop off places....if it comes out point to point...not loop

thanks in advance

·
Registered
668 Posts
squirtdad said:
I am considering ED and combining that with a vacation with my wife in mid October. (15 year anniversary, grandparents will have the kid, and my wife says don't be silly get the BMW not the Subaru...life is good :) )

I am looking for suggested "Romantic best of europe" in 7-10 days. Easy to drive...good places to stay. I want do enjoy the car...but not be driving 10 hours a day....especially if I want to have future anniversaries....

also input into best bets to get back to Munich from drop off places....if it comes out point to point...not loop

thanks in advance
Search is your friend. There is no one answer. Similar questions are asked over and over again on a weekly basis here. I would suggest reading the answers as well as travel logs of people who actually did ED.
There are different routes and different things appeal to different people - do the search and compose your own based on other people's experiences (assuming you know nothing about Europe.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just did a similar trip. My wife and I celebrated 20yr anniversary :whip: and did a ED on a new 545i in mid March. 3/21. She wanted to see Italy and France, and I wanted to see Germany. She won. Anyway, I found a great tour site that arranges driving tours based on your individual preferences. www.driveeurope.com. They were really helpful and planned everthing for us. Gave us a very comprehensive itinerary with map routes, places to see and things to do. The route included short intervals between destinations so the entire vacation isn't spent driving. (Good and Bad depending on your love affair with the BMW). We started in Munich drove to Venice then on to Assisi. From there to Rome. From Rome to Vicchio (Florence area), then on to Pisa. We then drove into France to Nice, then from Nice to Paris with drop off date of 4/1 at CDG. It was everything we expected and more! We needed to change our itinerary in the middle of the trip and Rupert with Driveeurope was very helpful. All Hotel bookings, etc. are handled by them. I would highly recommend their service.

Enjoy and have fun! I'm still waiting for redelivery... That is the hard part! :(

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Pick up the various books by Rick Steves and catch his show on the Travel Channel.

Going in October (off-season but October-fest!), you *shouldn't* have any trouble winging the whole trip and just finding hotels when you are ready for one. My wife and I usually like to plan the first 2-3 days of a trip and the last 1-2 days. Everything in between is whatever we feel like doing and wherever we feel like going. You can't lose in Europe...everywhere you go there is mounds and mounds of history...a real treat for Americans whose history is so short....

My brain exploded when we visited Greece, Athens, Mykonos...so much to see you just can't handle it! :)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
It all depends, but...

With 7-10 days, I'd keep the driving down. In Germany, you could visit Rothenburg (14th Cent.) and other towns on the "romantic road", the Black Forest, castles, etc. None of these is more than a same-day drive from Munich or you can tie them together. Salzburg & Vienna are nice in Austria. Prague is very interesting and relatively affordable as the Czech Rep. is not on the Euro.

Or you could expand to the rest of Germany, or Northern Italy (esp. Venice, Milan, and Turin--which is under-appreciated), or France, or Switzerland. But I would resist trying to cover too much territory.

Two other useful sources: some AAA office have a "Europe Planning Map" that has an overview of Western Europe with all the major highways. It gives a very different perspective than what you get from individual country maps. Also, although the Michelin Green Guide for Germany is out-of-date (prices are in DM, not Euros), it has four "touring programs", one of which is centered on Munich.

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
squirtdad said:

thanks in advance
What do you think you want to see? What would you like your pace to be? How many miles would you like to drive your new bimmer in Europe? (Gas and highway tolls are much higher than in USA)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just returned from a week's trip

I'd say the two places I saw that would best fit the bill for what you are looking for are Salzburg in Austria and Baden-Baden (on the Rhine to the Northwest...German/French border). There are so many places but those were the two that stick out in my mind from this last trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
europe info

Hey,

If you need info about France...I would be happy to help! I live in OC now but I am French. My sister lives in Northern Germany (Essen-Dusseldorf) and I can get some tips from her on that region!! I can't wait to to the ED, hopefully in 2006...gotta see my family :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Trixie said:
Hey,

If you need info about France...I would be happy to help! I live in OC now but I am French. My sister lives in Northern Germany (Essen-Dusseldorf) and I can get some tips from her on that region!! I can't wait to to the ED, hopefully in 2006...gotta see my family :)
Hi -- we're planning on spending time with my relatives in Germany, in the southwest area (Stuttgart/Heidelberg) before driving down to as yet to be determined parts of Austria/Switzerland/Italy, then over to southern France, then up to Paris to drop off the car and spend a week there. I'm thinking that the last night before arriving in Paris it would be good to spend in someplace not too far removed from there, that it would be not much more than a couple of hours to drive into Paris to do the dropoff. Do you have any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for the south of France?

Edie

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Suggestions in France

Big city, but easy to get around and with great restaurants: Lyon.

Sunny, touristy & expensive: the Riviera, especially Nice, Cannes, St. Tropez.

The Rhone wine wine-growing regions are more rural than Lyon and less expensive than the Riviera. Interesting mix of cities, towns, and countryside.

Closer to Paris: Champagne region. Riems has a famous cathedral.

It all depends on what you want to see and do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
places in France

Hi Eddie,

If you come from Italy to France, I would recommend you drive through Provence (you can find some really nice remote villages and towns- Drome area, Hautes-Alpes). The Alps region is beautiful. Valence is a fairly big city there. Lyon is huge (2nd city in France and downtown is cute....but I am not sure about the French charm...)

Now, if you like the Riviera (too touristic for my taste), you can see Monaco and Cannes.
I am not sure how much time you have, especially if you are going to Austria and/or Italy first.

If you want to stop close to Paris, the Bourgogne region (famous for its wine...and escargots!) is worth seeing too- around Macon, Auxerre or Dijon.

I am not sure when in June you will be in France. I don't think you need to book hotels earlier really in these smaller towns...but you may want to get like a Routard guide for tips on where to sleep and eat.

Here are some links i found- I just realized that a lot of sites I was looking at are not available in English

http://www.drometourisme.com/anglais/default.htm
http://www.en.lyon-france.com/
http://www.ot-dijon.fr/uk/index.php

Let me know if you have other questions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
688 Posts
squirtdad said:

thanks in advance
You should try the Frommer's Best-Loved driving tours series. They have books for Germany, Austria, France, and many other countries that are very good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I could elaborate more on where to go and what to see when I get back,
but as far as where to stay, just stick to RELAIS & CHATEAUX´s and trust me, you will not go wrong... Food is excellent (especially in Provence), accomodations impecable, everything oozes charm and amazingly enough not expensive at all.
Your wife will be more than pleased and impressed.

I´m finishing a three week ED of several countries and too many RELAIS & CHATEAUX to count... :D 3200 miles on my M3 so far :thumbup:

·
ZHPper
2,130 Posts
Off the subject but you might find this an interesting observation. We have close friends who go to Europe every year and do tours. I make an effort to avoid the most popular "bus towns" at all costs when I travel there (With some exceptions, of course)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very, very good advise. I can second this. Lived in Paris for a really long time and traveled all of Europe. Good adive from Trixie.

.Trex
Trixie said:
Hi Eddie,

If you come from Italy to France, I would recommend you drive through Provence (you can find some really nice remote villages and towns- Drome area, Hautes-Alpes). The Alps region is beautiful. Valence is a fairly big city there. Lyon is huge (2nd city in France and downtown is cute....but I am not sure about the French charm...)

Now, if you like the Riviera (too touristic for my taste), you can see Monaco and Cannes.
I am not sure how much time you have, especially if you are going to Austria and/or Italy first.

If you want to stop close to Paris, the Bourgogne region (famous for its wine...and escargots!) is worth seeing too- around Macon, Auxerre or Dijon.

I am not sure when in June you will be in France. I don't think you need to book hotels earlier really in these smaller towns...but you may want to get like a Routard guide for tips on where to sleep and eat.

Here are some links i found- I just realized that a lot of sites I was looking at are not available in English

http://www.drometourisme.com/anglais/default.htm
http://www.en.lyon-france.com/
http://www.ot-dijon.fr/uk/index.php

Let me know if you have other questions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Trixie said:
Hey,

Hi Trixie -- the place we were going to stay in Paris is booked, it's the place we stayed last time we were there, really loved it, is in the Latin Quarter. (this is the place http://www.accommodation-paris.com/Hotel/17122 ) I don't suppose you know any good agencies to use to find a 9 day booking, maybe an apartment rental (that would be ideal, actually)? We really loved the location we were at, were a couple of blocks from Mouffetard street, would love to be in the same area, or maybe on Ille St Louis?

Thanks for any help...
Edie (by the way, we're looking at July 5th - July 14th)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: accomodation in Paris

Hi Edie,

Lucky you! I lived in the Quartier Latin for a couple of years and that's definitely the best place in Paris ;)
Not surprised a lot of places are booked...July/August are the strongest months for tourism in EUrope...and July 14th is our national Bastille Day! if you are still in town you will probably see a lot of fireworks, or maybe the military parade on the Champs Elysees. :cool:
I assume you have already looked up major Internet sites: expedia, etc.

For apartment, you can check the following company:
http://www.citadines.com/ukindex0.htm

I quickly checked for you...they seem to have availability...you want either the Louvres, Halles, or Saint Germain des Pres.

I also recommend you check the Mercure and Novotel hotels (Accor group - I stayed at the one close to La Sorbonne and they are pretty decent)

The Halles one:
http://www.novotel.com/novotel/JSPV...chaine=NOV&key_attribute_ecran=geo_hotelsList
The La Sorbonne one:
http://www.mercure.com/mercure/fichehotel/gb/mer/2782/fiche_hotel.shtml

Remember the date format is different in Europe-i.e. July 9 will be 9/7/2005 ;)

Good luck! let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Trixie said:
Hi Edie,

Lucky you! I lived in the Quartier Latin for a couple of years and that's definitely the best place in Paris ;)
Not surprised a lot of places are booked...July/August are the strongest months for tourism in EUrope...and July 14th is our national Bastille Day! if you are still in town you will probably see a lot of fireworks, or maybe the military parade on the Champs Elysees. :cool:
I assume you have already looked up major Internet sites: expedia, etc.

For apartment, you can check the following company:
http://www.citadines.com/ukindex0.htm

I quickly checked for you...they seem to have availability...you want either the Louvres, Halles, or Saint Germain des Pres.

I also recommend you check the Mercure and Novotel hotels (Accor group - I stayed at the one close to La Sorbonne and they are pretty decent)

The Halles one:
http://www.novotel.com/novotel/JSPV...chaine=NOV&key_attribute_ecran=geo_hotelsList
The La Sorbonne one:
http://www.mercure.com/mercure/fichehotel/gb/mer/2782/fiche_hotel.shtml

Remember the date format is different in Europe-i.e. July 9 will be 9/7/2005 ;)

Good luck! let me know how it goes.
Well, I guess it wasn't meant to be for us to revisit the Latin quarter, every place we tried in that area was booked -- we had already called the Mercure property near La Sorbonne listed above. We contacted the Citadines site, called re. their property near St. Germain, that one was also booked, we were referred to their property at Haussmann/Champs Elysees, in th 8th. Pretty central, we reserved it. Part of our problem was needing accomodations for 4, we had earlier called a Mercure property near the Tour Eiffel, and all they had were rooms for two, we would have needed two rooms... So we'll just have to explore a new area of the city, which is fine. Hopefully we'll get over to rue Mouffetard at least once...

Thanks for the help!

Edie

(edit -- I don't know whether the Louvre or Les Halles were available, the person my husband talked to referred him to the Champs Elysees location, do you think we should inquire whether either of the other two have room? Do you think they be better locations?)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.