BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 330 xi with an automatic tranny and I was wondering if anyone had some input on what might be the best cat-back for vehicles w/ AT. Most of the muffler manufacturers claim to reduce "back pressure" significantly but I was once told (by an old muffler shop guy) that you need that back pressure for "take-off" power. It seems to me that this would be much more the case for ATs rather than MTs. I'm mainly looking for a better sound and not power gains, but since my car is automatic, I certainly don't want power LOSS (at any rpm). Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Cat-backs don`t do diddly-squat for performance, it`s all about the sound. If you feel like you want a louder, raspier exhaust note, go on youtube and listen to all the exhaust sound bites, and go with the one that sounds best to you.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
I understand that I won't gain much if any power. My concern is losing takeoff power due to too much decrease in back pressure.
A catback system will not affect performance one way OR the other....

·
TCHR MAN
17 Posts
The idea that cars "need" backpressure is purely a myth and I'm sure the "old muffler shop guy" was thinking about velocity/scavenging. Or he is just used to older cars that are less-capable of adjusting fuel injection; something that our DMEs do quite well. In short: unless you are running zummies or just straight off the head, I don't forsee any problems in you future. Good luck in your hunt!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.