BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
santiago said:
Are you retired or home sick? You appear to have a lot of time in the day.
Neither.... Just getting read to head out to work. Posting those kinds of :repost: messages is very easy, especially when the same thread shows up 3 times in a row in the "New Posts" list.
 

·
life is fragile
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
operknockity said:
Neither.... Just getting read to head out to work. Posting those kinds of :repost: messages is very easy, especially when the same thread shows up 3 times in a row in the "New Posts" list.
So rather than contributing to an actual discussion this is how you chose to contribute to the community?

What makes a repost bad? What is your actual reasoning for doing this on three posts and cross-referencing them? I am very curious by this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
I agree...

People that shoot back the "Repost" message with that pissy little face holding the sign annoy me.
 

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
santiago said:
So rather than contributing to an actual discussion this is how you chose to contribute to the community?

What makes a repost bad? What is your actual reasoning for doing this on three posts and cross-referencing them? I am very curious by this.
So you'd rather see multiple independent discussions of the exact same topic with mostly the exact same content, scattered all over the board, especially when the subject matter is not BMW model specific? Having that happen wastes disk space on the machine that hosts the 'Fest, wastes machine cycles having to look up the duplicate info in the database behind the board, wastes machine cycles to prepare the web pages to send out, and for those using the "New Post" functionality, wastes bandwidth and screen real estate to display multiple entries in the thread listing. It also affects how long it takes process a search as the software now has to process a lot more information to find threads with the search criteria, and then wastes cycles to render the pages, wastes badwidth to send the duplicate information and wastes screen real estate to display the duplicate information.

The :repost: is a hint to those who see the posts that the topic is already being discussed elsewhere and they might want to find the "proper" thread to add their comments. The posting of the cross reference URLs is to help them find those other threads.

And, it is tradition here that if a topic has already been discussed to post the :repost: smilie with a link to the proper thread, or at least the thread where the bulk of the discussion is taking place.

That is why cross posting is frowned on: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1102481&postcount=3
 

·
Any ride will do
Joined
·
17,472 Posts
Rmart said:
People that shoot back the "Repost" message with that pissy little face holding the sign annoy me.
I agree. I think every subject should have a different thread posted for it 3 or 4 times.
 

·
life is fragile
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
operknockity said:
So you'd rather see multiple independent discussions of the exact same topic with mostly the exact same content, scattered all over the board, especially when the subject matter is not BMW model specific? Having that happen wastes disk space on the machine that hosts the 'Fest, wastes machine cycles having to look up the duplicate info in the database behind the board, wastes machine cycles to prepare the web pages to send out, and for those using the "New Post" functionality, wastes bandwidth and screen real estate to display multiple entries in the thread listing. It also affects how long it takes process a search as the software now has to process a lot more information to find threads with the search criteria, and then wastes cycles to render the pages, wastes badwidth to send the duplicate information and wastes screen real estate to display the duplicate information.

The :repost: is a hint to those who see the posts that the topic is already being discussed elsewhere and they might want to find the "proper" thread to add their comments. The posting of the cross reference URLs is to help them find those other threads.

And, it is tradition here that if a topic has already been discussed to post the :repost: smilie with a link to the proper thread, or at least the thread where the bulk of the discussion is taking place.

That is why cross posting is frowned on: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1102481&postcount=3
Your claim is that cross-posts wate space, cycles, etc. yet what of the actual "repost" messages themselves? Rather than having three posts (all originated by the same person) you mirrored them and doubled the volume on the server all by posting "repost". Alex's actions seem more natural ("thanks for the post, one will continue to live in the appropriate forum the other two are now closed.").

I would not be surprised if there are more "repost" messages than actual reposts simply because people like me start asking what is the obsession with reposts.

I have to tell you that I think those X5 guys were onto something about this unhealthy obsession with reposts.
 

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
Everyones entitled to their own opinions.

Be that as it may, the owners/mods here might have a different opinion than you, and what they say goes. And they say no cross-posting, threads should go in the proper topic, and as little needless duplication of discussion as possible. That is why they lock cross-posted threads or combine duplicate threads, and sometimes move threads to a more appropriate forum.

If he wants, Alex could also delete those locked threads so that the deliterious affects of having the duplicates can be avoided. It is up to him and the owners and other mods.
 

·
life is fragile
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
operknockity said:
Everyones entitled to their own opinions.

Be that as it may, the owners/mods here might have a different opinion than you, and what they say goes. And they say no cross-posting, threads should go in the proper topic, and as little needless duplication of discussion as possible. That is why they lock cross-posted threads or combine duplicate threads, and sometimes move threads to a more appropriate forum.

If he wants, Alex could also delete those locked threads so that the deliterious affects of having the duplicates can be avoided. It is up to him and the owners and other mods.
I really recommend you read Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery" and I hope you see the parallels that your types of actions have on new members (e.g. 12 post-count infonaut).
 

·
******
Joined
·
2,457 Posts
Thanks for the link.. :D

I hope you know that here on the Fest, it's a joke to be the first one to post a :repost: to a true reposted thread... I think the joke serves two purposes. First, it continues a Fest tradition (sometimes it's called an "aty"). Secondly, it promotes using the search feature that works pretty well here.

It's not meant as a put down in any way, shape, or form... :thumbup:
 

·
Any ride will do
Joined
·
17,472 Posts
LarryN said:
First, it continues a Fest tradition (sometimes it's called an "aty"). Secondly, it promotes using the search feature that works pretty well here.

It's not meant as a put down in any way, shape, or form... :thumbup:
:thumbup:

I like search features that work! They're ridiculously rare.
 

·
life is fragile
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
LarryN said:
Thanks for the link.. :D

I hope you know that here on the Fest, it's a joke to be the first one to post a :repost: to a true reposted thread... I think the joke serves two purposes. First, it continues a Fest tradition (sometimes it's called an "aty"). Secondly, it promotes using the search feature that works pretty well here.

It's not meant as a put down in any way, shape, or form... :thumbup:
Perhaps an explanation to people with less than 100 posts would be a nice thing rather than being slapped down. I have to tell you that it does not look like a joke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
santiago said:
Perhaps an explanation to people with less than 100 posts would be a nice thing rather than being slapped down. I have to tell you that it does not look like a joke.
And who called it a repost smilie? It's not smiling. It has that smug face...so maybe it is appropriate to consider the source.
 

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
Joined
·
5,352 Posts
LCC said:
And who called it a repost smilie? It's not smiling. It has that smug face
The generic term for all those little pictures that we put in posts is "smilie", wether the picture is smiling, frowning, or doesn't even have a mouth.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top