BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Nav or no Nav? If nav, Intravee II plus Alpine KCA-420i is your best bet. It also works on non-nav systems with less functionality.

I had an early dice and it was no dice for me. Noise and cranky behavior pushed me to a refund. Surf around and read up cuz like Windows, just because it's the most popular thing available, doesn't make it the best.

·
Quality
639 Posts
You may want to rethink Dice after you read this...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=701077

I had a Dice Silverline installed for eight months. I worked through many of the issues others on this form have experienced until one day it just wouldn't connect to the head unit anymore.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I gave up!!! :banghead:

Four months ago I bought the USA-Spec PA12-BMW and I am extremely happy with its performance, features, & reliability.
<o:p></o:p>
I'm a newbie to youtube so ridicule me if you want, but I have posted a two part demo of the USA-Spec operation in my 2003 325i.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,961 Posts
Crap. I just told a friend to order the Dice kit. I have installed one on a 2004 X3 before, seemed like a good kit to me. Anyone have Dice and like it?

·
is a Texan
1,400 Posts
I recently purchased the Dice kit and it is decent. The theory behind using the steering wheel functions and such controlling the ipod are nice but like some have noted, i do hear "noise" through the speakers when the music is at a low volume. Played with all of the connections ensuring they are good and nothing changes.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,208 Posts
I've had a DICE installed for a year. The features are real nice (steering wheel controls, song title on your factory radio etc). I also like that you can browse by Artist/album or song title. Mine acts a little flaky sometimes and it seems to be a little temperamental when used w/ an ipod classic - works much better w/ my nano (Maybe because the nano doesn't have a physical Hard Drive it has to spin up after sitting overnight). Overall i'm happy w/ it but like I said it does act a little flaky sometimes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was tempted by the Dice, it seemed it worked well for some, others had unknown electronic demons. I am not a whiz at sorting electronics issues, so I went w/ a simple aux input, $30 off eBay. Install was easy except you have to get behind your radio, remove a few panels, which is actually easy once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I installed the factory (BMW/Apple) unit. I've got nav and the multi-function wheel so the Ipod is integrated pretty well into the existing audio/visual system. Sound quality is as good as the HK sys will let it be, :rolleyes:FF within a song is problematic so it doesn't get an "A" for functionality. Overall, I'm glad I did the mod and would reccomend it. I have no experience with the dice unit, although it is popular and I've heard good and not so good-

·
Registered
2014 535d xDrive
175 Posts
I've had DICE for almost 3 years now and very happy with it. Personally I think a lot of the noise issues are because people install the unit in the trunk. Lots and lots of wires. I installed the Dice unit directly to the Head Unit (the radio) and hid the DICE unit by the middle vents. 1 ft of wire maybe? I've never had to do a battery reset, never had interference, occasionally a little touchy but with my iPhone i've figured out an easy do-over. Change to the radio, unplug the iPhone, replug it back in, change to CD mode, say no to airplane mode, and then hit the iTunes button. Seems to clean up whatever problems it was having. This is usually caused when I plug in the iPhone AFTER turning on the car. If I plug the iPhone in first and then turn on the car I don't have any issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dice is nice

Have had the Dice module for about a year now and it has worked pretty well. I had to power cycle it a couple times after it became unresponsive by simply unplugging it for a minute, but other than that it does the job. I highly recommend installing the standard 1/4 headphone cable as well if you like to do streaming music since when you use the standard recharging cable it only allows ipod functionality via the stereo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had the USA Spec for over a year now. Have never had any problems with it. It is very stable. Originally I had a classic ipod with a spinning hard drive. I did have some problems on cold mornings since the ipod lives in my trunk, and the cold temperatures caused the ipod hard drive to spin up slower. I have switched to an ipod nano with a solid state drive and everything works great. I would definitely recommend the USA Spec.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In order to use the USA Spec you have to have an ipod the supports playlists. I am not sure if all the ipod shuffles support playlists, this may be a feature that was just added to the latest version.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts