BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do u launch your car for maximum grip and acceleration. just wondering. i cant do much right now my t/o bearing is going. in the near future im getting a centerforce stage 1 and new t/o bearing

·
Registered
252 Posts
i redline it and pop the clutch!!!!

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
you must have alot of money for clutches and driveline compnents........thats not a good launch RPM. And unless his car has a LSD all he is going to do is spin a tire and lose time. 2000 is a good start.

·
Registered
252 Posts
do i have an lsd??? i have a 1987 325- 4door 5speed!

·
Registered
34 Posts
As it only costs about ten bucks for unlimited passes at a test n tune night at the drag strip, why not make it a scientific experiment? It's also dependant on tire traction, so on the street your RPMs should be less for the launch.

If you're unsure of the providence of your diff, If the whole car is on a lift, both wheels will spin in the same direction.

I think only 2 doors came with LSD. I don't recall.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
You have to experiment. It depneds on your exact car model, gear ratio, final drive ratio, and most importantly, what tires you're on AND what kind of pavement (cement, asphalt, HOW NEW?) you're on.

As you see, there are a lot of factors here. Generally, the fastest launch is one WITH some wheelspin so the engine doesn't bog down at all. You just have to play around.

Like others said, please go to a test & tune night at a local drag strip..

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
bryce you have an IS.........i dont. On an I its optional. I got my vin number decoded and it was indeed a factory option for mine

·
Registered
252 Posts
hey mattdk318i... how can you tell by doing the vin thing???

·
another E30 nut
916 Posts
the vin tells you everythign about the car. Down to how it was shipped.
I made sure i had a LSD by checking the tag on the Diff. It has S 3.73
the S designation is only given to a LSD
www.realoem.com will tell you some

·
Registered
294 Posts
my way of telling if you have a lsd is more fun IMO...

go to large, vacant parkinglot (a damp/rainy day is preferable for minimal tire wear), cruise in 1st at 10mph or so, turn the wheel all the way and go in a tight circle, then when you're ready, go WOT....quick countersteer before you spin out! catch it...keep going...feather the throttle....dont bump off redline!

wait.... what were we trying to figure out? eh who cares, that was fun!

as for getting better launches...

make yourself a clutch stop, factory tolerance gives lots of free travel, take out the geuss work so you can just stomp it down when you need to shift :)

adjust your brake pedal, when under hard braking, it should be just about level with the throttle pedal so you can heel toe more easily

adjust your throttle cable...make sure theres not too much slack, and that it opens all the way

i'm not much for drag racing from a stoplight....i prefer to do my drag races between corners :thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KrisL said:
You have to experiment. It depneds on your exact car model, gear ratio, final drive ratio, and most importantly, what tires you're on AND what kind of pavement (cement, asphalt, HOW NEW?) you're on.

As you see, there are a lot of factors here. Generally, the fastest launch is one WITH some wheelspin so the engine doesn't bog down at all. You just have to play around.

Like others said, please go to a test & tune night at a local drag strip..
you do make a good point i guess im just going to have to give it a shot in a big parking lot or something. i just have to wait for my new t/o bearing and clutch to arrive. centerforce anygood? i dont have a huge increase in power and mostlikley wont have huge power so i figure stage 1 will do ok. any ideas?

·
Registered
252 Posts
hey i got that wing for sale!!!

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
n12frost said:
you do make a good point i guess im just going to have to give it a shot in a big parking lot or something. i just have to wait for my new t/o bearing and clutch to arrive. centerforce anygood? i dont have a huge increase in power and mostlikley wont have huge power so i figure stage 1 will do ok. any ideas?
Yeah, that should be fine.

I'll admit that whenever I get a new car, I go down to the local industrial park and do one or two 1/4 mile runs with my G-Tech Pro RR just to see what my car will do... and get it out of my system.

Then I never do it again :). I'm an avid autocrosser, so I care a lot more about turning than going straight.

G-Tech says my ZHP did 0-60 in 5.34 and the 1/4 in 14.3! :)

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
well if you plan on tracking the car then the wing wouold not be a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts