BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting another car and would like to get a M3 I like all the years in the series.....Just wondering what year where better than others....thanks

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Some say 2001 had the strongest engines. In fact, some of them weren't subject to the engine bearing recall.

I believe 2002 was the year the DVD navigation system debuted. The other significant addition was the SMG system.

In 2003.5, the rear tailights changed to LEDs and a strut brace was added to every car.

Somewhere along the lines (might have been 2003.5), some colors went away (Laguna Seca Blue, Phoenix Yellow, Steel Grey), and BMW replaced them with Topaz Blue, Silver Grey, etc.

I'd personally go for 2003.5 and make sure the previous owner performed the recall. If you need a nav system, the newer model years have the significantly faster DVD model.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The earlier M3s also had black high-gloss plastic trim which I thought was a bit cheap for a near $50k car (alum was optional). This was rectified with a better looking dark gray trim, and alum became N/C I believe.

I like the 2004s since that was the year they put LEDs in the taillights but was the last year they had Leguna Seca Blue.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I liked the high gloss black trim. The aluminum-colored trim has a very cheapish look to them. So much so that they actually peel...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the high gloss looks like crap. I have brushed alum, it looks awesome but does scratch easily. As far as im concerned, the best year is the newest year...LED tails look good, and comp. package is sweet if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all

I could give a crap about the color of the trim I'm looking for cars that where built that had good reliability....I know with older BMW's transition years where the ones to avoid....In some cases I like the 1997 and 98 before the new body in 99 and 00

·
Registered
4 Posts
new body was in 01. I dont see the reliability as being all that different between e36 and e46 aside from the rod bearing recall. If you can afford an e46 i wouldnt let reliability influence ur decision to get an e36 instead...

·
Scheiße!!!
1,135 Posts
IMHO, get your hands on an E30 M3 from the southern states, and hold on to it for as long as you can. That's my idea of fun.

·
Scheiße!!!
1,135 Posts
bmwhype said:
katrina ?
I'd never buy an car that was from the north. Too much to have to worry about rusting.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
I don't know if rust would be a concern for the E30 M3 (1987-1989), but I'm pretty sure it is not with the newer generation cars. They have galvanized bodies - and besides, few people drive M3s in the winter... but even if they would, it's not like they don't have winter/salt in Germany where they make'em - quite the contrary. :yikes:

As a general rule with bimmers, buy the newest model you can afford.This advice is valid for daily drivers. If you want a collector's item, the E30 M3 is the only way to go.

Other than that, the E30 and E46 are more maintenance-intensive than the E36 (no hydraulic valve actuators, more finicky engines), some E36's have been known to tear the rear subfloor (rare?) and have cooling issues, and the early E46 have had a major engine recall. Also, if you want to keep it for a long time, avoid the SMG - I'm 100% convinced it's a disaster waiting to happen. :dunno:

For me personally, it would be an 03 in Steel Gray, or an 05/06 with the Competition package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.