Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least according to my 2015 28d's computer. 42.9mpg over 190 miles

Headed ENE, with a tail wind of 20-50 mph from the WSW. Didn't even notice the high winds while driving.

Tomorrow when I head home the wind is supposed to be up to 30 mph from the NE.

A quarter tank used, and projections of 595 miles.

Historically, the computer is a little on the high side. But when just adding 4-5 gallons, the difference in pumps makes the manual calculation low precision. I'll fill up tomorrow night and see how it did this road trip along with 30-40 miles of city driving.

It also helps that warm enough that the heater isn't needed, and not warm enough that the AC is needed.

I also forgot to change out of Comfort mode to Eco mode.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I had a lot of work in Texas, with a prevailing wind out of the west. I'd always get better MPG coming back to Floriduh.

The G01 X3 30d was abruptly cancelled a few months before production was to begin. We got a 30i. We frequently make 70 miles trips to the next patch of civilization to see friends. Our best trip MPG was 38.5 MPG, and that's after correcting for the computer's MPG error. I had to game it, to get that MPG though. EcoPro and coasting up to red lights, and taking the last eight miles along the scenic route at 35 MPH instead of the highway at 55 MPH. We haven't taken the X3 on a real road trip yet.

The best leg in my F10 535i was 30.7 MPG, 60 miles on the intestate with a big tail wind. Second best was 29.9, taking 520 miles of scenic byways and rural highways, but doing it all with just one tank of gas.

Don't get too wrapped up in high MPG's, though. The higher the MPG, the less difference it makes to improve it further. That's why VW's 240 MPG (highway) XL1 was purely an academic exercise.

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My best mileage before was about 4 years ago driving back from Colorado Springs to Oklahoma in February. Essentially downwind the whole way. Driving slow due to winter road conditions for 1/3 of the way. I made over 600 miles on a tank of diesel and about 39 mpg.

I've had highway trips where I only got 30, likely into the wind.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I recently got 39 mpg with a tailwind, but never exceeded 40 mpg on my X3. However, with my 5 series 3.0 L diesel, it's much easier to get 41 to 42 mpg. It's sad BMW will sell no more diesels.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The best I've done in my X3 28d is 39.7 mpg on a road trip from N/E PA to east Texas. Most of my driving was at about 75 MPH. I experimented with the various modes to see if it affected my mileage and it didn't seem to at all. Most of the way I drove in Sport mode because I prefer the way it shifts. :thumbup:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Returned home. Didn't have the big tailwind, and 45 miles of in town driving, the overall according to the car computer was 38.1. Which probably meant I only averaged 34+ the remainder of the trip after the first 190 miles.

Actual calculated miles from filling up was 37.19. Not the best I've done, but I can't go downhill all the way that often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts