BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
UR MOTHER IS AN ASTRONAUT
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which air and oil filters do you guys recommend for use? Would K & N be a recommendation?

·
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Bmw Oem.

·
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean in general for say an 06 civic. I usually use k & n, but was wondering if there was something better. The bimmer is coming in Oct via ED

·
davesnothear
31 Posts
I have yet to see a better oil filter than a K&N. Just the ability to easily safety wire a K&N for racing says a bunch about the people that designed it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As an aircraft tech I would have to disagree, If you Google for real data on K&N you will see they are not held in high regard. All that extra air ( which goes unused without further mods) comes at the expense of poor air filtration.

Bobistheoilguy.com for all you ever wanted to know, not opinions, just facts backed up with reports analysis reports, tear downs, micron ratings.

That said, you can save a bunch and just get a Napa Gold or even a STP. Today I took out my old STP and put in a new BMW OEM. You would be hard pressed to see a difference, in fact the STP fit better and sealed better, at six bucks I know what my next filter will be.

Not trying to thread crap, honestly K&N is HIGHLY over rated and every independent review will back that up.

·
davesnothear
31 Posts
As an A&P myself and a racer for 30 years I think I know my stuff. Next time I want to keep my oil filter from spinning off due to vibration maybe I'll call Falcon guy for a STP sticker to hold in on. :rofl:

·
Registered
735 Posts
STP doesnt make an oil filter for the E46, maybe you didnt read my post but I did mention the filter I was talking about was an AIR filter.

Thanks for the contribution, great way to make friends, on post 11 no less.....

Bet you work Nights? Airline?

Yea it all adds up

·
Registered
124 Posts
To me its what is inside the oilfilter and how good it does its job filtering the oil, that matters, how it looks at the outside etc. I could not care less.

·
davesnothear
31 Posts
FG- Read my post, I was talking about oil filters.

Got out of it 25 years ago, you? I kind of wish I didn't but that is another story. Now, for better or worse I am the VP of Sales for an IT company. I was trying to make a joke and I apologize for the sticker comment.

I too have read that K&N air filters let in X number of microns of dirt compared to others, etc. I cannot tell you about their oil anaylsis numbers. But when most sane people will change their oil and filter less than the rec'd BMW service intervals I really don't see much difference other than using low end Fram filters.

And Faxe, I am also concerned about how an oil filters, what type media is used, flow traits, burst capability, etc, etc. What I was talking about was that K&N makes a decent filter and has a built in safety wire capability to keep it from walking off its threads during high vibration cycles. None of the STP filters have that capability but I am sure they do an admirable job at filtering dirts, shavings, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
for oil filters i just order the Mann filters from bavarian autowerks. they are relatively inexpensive, recommended by many, designed specifically for bmw's and made in germany.

air filter is an argument that will never end. my thoughts are, i've had a k&n cone filter for 20k miles and my engine is running fine. so as long as i keep cleaning it every 10k, i'm not worried

·
Registered
735 Posts
krafty said:
for oil filters i just order the Mann filters from bavarian autowerks. they are relatively inexpensive, recommended by many, designed specifically for bmw's and made in germany.

air filter is an argument that will never end. my thoughts are, i've had a k&n cone filter for 20k miles and my engine is running fine. so as long as i keep cleaning it every 10k, i'm not worried
Thats the same brand you get for $4.48 at Autohauz.

Free shipping on orders over $50, which is not hard to do:mad:

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
I used K&N air filters (drop in replacements, not the cone ones) in my 2 other cars and oil analysis showed increased silicone levels. I did notice a slight improvement in gas mileage with these filters but my butt dyno couldn't record any other performance improvements. I went back to OEM paper filters and never used K&N in a BMW, only Mann or Mahle.

I looked at K&N oil filter today and it seemed very well designed and built but it was twice as much as Bosch filter I usually get. I noticed that Mobil 1 sells extended performance oil filters, they looked very nice as well and were priced on par with K&N. If you plan on going with extended drain intervals these filters may be worth their price but if you change the oil every 3 to 5K miles I don't see a reason to pay more than 6 bucks for a filter and Bosch or OEM filters fit the bill.

·
Registered
84 Posts
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=15 air filter forum

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=6 oil filter forum

IMHO

Air Filters:
K&N filters flow well but don't filter well. As seen above by the increased silicon (sand). They also tend to foul up the MAFS hotwire as most people over-oil them.
I think I'd use a new Amsoil filter or perhaps a BMC foam one.
Stock, paper will filter the best.

Oil Filters:
For the money a Purolator Pure-One.
K&N = Mobil 1, except K&N flows better and M1 fliters better. I beleive Champ Labs makes both (and a few others).

Mann, Mahle, or Hengst should all be OEM quality (Mann makes the OEM filters?).
You can find them at www.germanfilters.com or www.froogle.com

And Purolator cartridge filters are reboxed Mann filters.

·
Registered
735 Posts
at around 4.40 delivered I cant complain about Mahn or Mahle, seems they rotate between the two at Autohauz for the special price.

My Wife's accord, screw on, tiny filter is a buck less........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts