BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MLC (Mid-Life-Crisis)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading here for a couple of weeks now on coding my new F33.

As a former IT consultant, I feel very strongly about backing up the vehicles current (OEM) configurations before I do ANYTHING to it.

As such, what is the best (or as some say: "preferred") way to back up all of the current settings so I have them available if I screw something up?

If there is a specific thread that answers this already (I probably missed it), please point me in that direction.

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
ECU data backups are worthless. Simply VO Coding an ECU will reset it to factory coding.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'll defer to Shawn on all matters relating to coding, but doing a full set of backups before starting at least made me feel more ok about proceeding.

This thread has detailed instructions on doing an initial backup: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631884

I also 'read' and then 'saved' (that is, saved to my hard-drive) the FA file and the SVT file before changing anything.

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
Well, lets say you want to return ECU to factory Coding.

Which method is easier?

VO Code:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU => Select CODE.

Restore .NCD:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click ECU CAFD File => Select New FDL => Navigate to C:\ESysData\CAF and select matching .NCD file => Left-Click on Inserted CAFD => Select FDL Code.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well, lets say you want to return ECU to factory Coding.

Which method is easier?

VO Code:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click on ECU => Select CODE.

Restore .NCD:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Right-Click ECU CAFD File => Select New FDL => Navigate to C:\ESysData\CAF and select matching .NCD file => Left-Click on Inserted CAFD => Select FDL Code.
Fair enough. Backup sure looks like the long way around. . .

·
Registered
119 Posts
Shawn, what is the difference of pushing the read svt button and read ecu while fdl coding?

I see tokenmaster push read svt when coding but a lot of others in their instruction push read ecu...

When i pushed read svt i got an error and when i pushed read ecu i could do normal fdl coding to my car.

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
Shawn, what is the difference of pushing the read svt button and read ecu while fdl coding?

I see tokenmaster push read svt when coding but a lot of others in their instruction push read ecu...

When i pushed read svt i got an error and when i pushed read ecu i could do normal fdl coding to my car.
Read SVT reads a stored ECU Configuration file in VCM, and Read ECU actually Queries the system buses to determine which ECU's are present. On some newer cars like F15, F45, etc, Read SVT does not work, so Read ECU must be used. For Coding purposes, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other, that is to say it makes no difference which one is used.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2014 F56. So that would be the reason. To return to backing up, i cannot use the described method above. Will save button after read ecu be enough for me to backup?

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
I have a 2014 F56. So that would be the reason. To return to backing up, i cannot use the described method above. Will save button after read ecu be enough for me to backup?
Yes, you can. You can VO Code. For you it is:

VO Code:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read ECU => Right-Click on ECU => Select CODE.

·
MLC (Mid-Life-Crisis)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, thank you Shawn. Great info as always. ;-)

·
Token Master
1,032 Posts
Backing up VO/FA is worth your while and also SVT since it's volatile - meaning can change anytime VO is modified and an ECU is coded. However, you don't restore SVT, you just use it to compare current SVT, if say, you added a wrong option, or set a wrong build date for your car.

Read SVT reads a stored ECU Configuration file in VCM, and Read ECU actually Queries the system buses to determine which ECU's are present. On some newer cars like F15, F45, etc, Read SVT does not work, so Read ECU must be used. For Coding purposes, it is six of one and a half dozen of the other, that is to say it makes no difference which one is used.
Shawn, just additional info based on my testing, read ECU does not actively query the system bus for new (unknown) ECUs. It appears to use the stored SVT to query list of ECUs and ping these ECUs individually. Those that responds will be shown and the ones that do not are obviously removed. However, if say, you added a new ECU and immediately do a "Read ECU", the new ECU will not appear in the list. The only way to make new ECU appear is to VO code a known ECU (I prefer the simple ones like TBX, IHKA...etc) and of course, "Update VCM" option turned on.

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
Backing up VO/FA is worth your while and also SVT since it's volatile - meaning can change anytime VO is modified and an ECU is coded. However, you don't restore SVT, you just use it to compare current SVT, if say, you added a wrong option, or set a wrong build date for your car.

Shawn, just additional info based on my testing, read ECU does not actively query the system bus for new (unknown) ECUs. It appears to use the stored SVT to query list of ECUs and ping these ECUs individually. Those that responds will be shown and the ones that do not are obviously removed. However, if say, you added a new ECU and immediately do a "Read ECU", the new ECU will not appear in the list. The only way to make new ECU appear is to VO code a known ECU (I prefer the simple ones like TBX, IHKA...etc) and of course, "Update VCM" option turned on.
This is strange. I have been involved in many retrofits, and Read ECU sill show added Control Unit, where of course read SVT won't.

·
Token Master
1,032 Posts
Hmn, maybe, it's gateway dependent. The way I tested on my F30 is: Read SVT (shows 18 ECU). Disconnected ZBE, Read SVT still showed 18, while read SVT showed 17 as expected. Added TBX and both read SVT and Read ECU still showed 18 and TBX was nowhere to be found. VO coded, then both showed 19

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys I just hook up to this thread if you don't mind.
Coud you please advise me step by step how I can
Upload VCM from SVT.xml backup file that's one
And how to uncheck "update VCM and MSM " in esys options
2017 G30
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
In E-Sys Options, there is Checkboxes for Update VCM and MSM, that you can toggle on and off as needed.

If they are toggled on, and you load SVT.xml backup file into coding module, and VO Code any ECU, it will write SVT to car VCM.

Reactions: sly44

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shawn thank you for your time .....and reply would you please have a look on my case if you find a moment
Regards Seb

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
Shawn thank you for your time .....and reply would you please have a look on my case if you find a moment
Regards Seb
The NotExecutable Errors are coding errors, meaning something is not right with FA.

The one showing "cafd_ffffffff-255_255_255" is corrupt ECU. I cannot tell from picture what ECU it is. You must inject CAFD into ECU first and then VO Code it,

Reactions: sly44

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got it going thanks to two guys from this forum all I had to do was backup the svt file to vcm
Thank you Shawn for your time tho

·
Premium Member
41,949 Posts
I got it going thanks to two guys from this forum all I had to do was backup the svt file to vcm
Thank you Shawn for your time tho
(y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts